Solberge Hall Hotel
  • Restaurant
US$140
The Three Tuns(Osmotherley)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsfour poster bedafternoon teaevening mealyorkshire breakfastbridal suitecountry house hoteldressing tablebar menuwedding partylarge bathroomlovely settingcakesshort breakfirst classold buildingbed was very comfortablecooked breakfast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We went to Solberge Hall for an overnight stay as a Mothers Day treat.We usually stay at Macdonalds Hotels,this is one of their 'associate' hotels,wasn't quite sure what that meant,but thought we would like to go-the pictures on Tripadvisor looked lovely and we were not disappointed.
From the moment we arrived,they acknowledged our Elite member status (part of Macdonalds loyalty scheme which gives you little extras).We were offered our complimentary newspaper,bottle of wine and the rooms were upgraded automatically-no other Macdonald hotel has ever done this! Hope Macdonalds are reading this,they could learn a lot from Solberge.Plus,complimentary tea and shortbread delivered to the room.
The rooms were beautiful,with 4 poster beds,very clean and looked newly refurbished.There was one lady in particular who looked after us our whole stay,she was brilliant and saw that everything was perfect,her name was Cveta-thankyou so much,what a wonderful member of staff.
The hotel and grounds were beautiful,we had a wonderful night downstairs and the food was fantastic,as was breakfast with Kevin-another lovely member of staff.
I would give Solberge Hall 5 stars,there is not one thing that I could fault.Would love to return.
A few weeks later,I stayed at the Macdonald Townhouse Hotel in Manchester-supposedly one of their top hotels in the country.No room upgrade,no wine,no tea,incorrect photo used to show the room we had chosen(they used a photo from a suite),obviously I was very let down by the room compared to the luxurious picture we were shown.I complained but was not moved,I was told the photo would be removed as it was false advertising.Just shows you doesn't it!!!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mathieson04
DraysonKohli, General Manager at Solberge Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2014

Dear Mathieson04
Please accept my apologies for the late response to your lovely comments! I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and I hope your Mother enjoyed her treat just as much! Your kind words with regards to the customer service quality have been passed onto the team, including Cveta and Kevin. Thank you for your 5 star review and I hope that you will return to Solberge Hall very soon!

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Not only was the place brilliant and beautiful and the food delicious, the staff were so friendly, they could not do enough to help us. I would heartily recommend this hotel to anyone considering a wedding venue or a stay for any reason or just for a meal, we also had a lovely stroll around the grounds. As I was bridesmaid I also met the lady doing the flowers who was really helpful and friendly too.

Room Tip: Ask for a nice room! We didn't but we should have done. Some of the people on our trip had fantastic rooms, ours was just standard I.e. Nice. We still had a lovely stay.
2  Thank Jeremysmum

Dear Jeremysmum
I would like to take this opportunity to say thank you for your 5 star comments in regards to your recent stay at Solberge Hall! I am so pleased to hear that you had such an wonderful day and that you found the team friendly and professional. I would be delighted to welcome you back to the Hall and ask that you contact me directly before booking so I may enhance your stay with us.
I look forward to seeing you at Solberge Hall again soon.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

I returned to Solberge Hall Hotel to celebrate 10 years of married life as this is where we had our reception a decade ago. A big surprise 16 people for Dinner in the Drawing Room (thanks Hub!) - which was absolutely amazing.....Ben and Silvana were excellent as was the food. Thanks Solberge for a ten year anniversary to remember.

Dear LadyWard1
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review about Solberge Hall! It was a pleasure organising the surprise and I am delighted to read that we didn’t disappoint you and that you found the food and service quality outstanding. I will certainly pass your comments onto the team, especially Ben and Silvana. I look forward to welcoming you back to Solberge Hall again soon.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

My husband and I have just returned from our regular monthly treat night away and this month it was Solberge Hall. As we approached up the gravel drive the sun came out and I was impressed this is a grand looking building in picturesque grounds.
The receptionist was lovely and friendly and check in a breeze we were taken to a huge comfortably appointed room with, unfortunately a very large off putting stain on the ceiling above the bed I tried to ignore it but my eyes were constantly drawn to it, really all this needed was a spray of stain stop and a coat of paint!! There were also cobwebs on the chandelier which was only 6 feet from the floor so easily accessible with a feather duster. The room had no views of the grounds at all.
We had a couple of drinks outside in the sun followed by a lovely afternoon tea all served by the attentive Kevin who seems to get a mention in every review he should be very proud.
The day was almost perfect I say almost perfect because dinner disappointed. I had English asparagus with a crispy hens egg which was a revelation but 2 spears of asparagus, really! and my husbands 'king' scallops were barely the size of 2 pence pieces. My chicken dish was fine but my husband had a steak which he physically couldn't eat it was so chewy and had no flavour we did tell our waitress Paige and got a stock and not very heartfelt apology. The other problem was the music in the dining room which was funereal, I like classical music as a background to dining but this was morose and sleep inducing the same music played all night in the bar also and did not encourage conviviality. We were not the only guests who had this opinion but despite asking for it to be changed the dirge continued.
We had a good nights sleep and breakfast did not wow but it was well cooked and presented.
On checkout we were asked by the lovely Bulgarian receptionist, sorry I did not get your name, w if we'd enjoyed our stay and on hearing about our dinner disappointment she was most upset and reduced our bill to reflect this, thank you.
All in all not a bad stay but this hotel is a 3* no matter what other guests say and it does need to smarten up a little.

Room Tip: Room 12 has the stain on the ceiling and no views of the grounds at all.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank fredmeadows

Dear Fredmeadows
Thank you for taking the time to express your comments about Solberge Hall and for your lovely words about the hotel’s setting and the team members.
I have reviewed all your comments with the team and we take all feedback seriously and act upon it constructively. We are currently undertaking investment to ensure that all our bedrooms reach the quality and comfort that our guests expect and I have noted your particular comments in relation to Room 12. I have also implemented a review of our Dining Room Menu, to ensure the quality of local produce is reflected in each dish.

My sincere apologies for failing to meet your expectations on this visit, but I do hope you will have the opportunity to revisit us again in the near future in order to see our continuous improvements. We look forward to welcoming you back to Solberge Hall.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Stayed here overnight for a wedding. The wedding was brilliantly organised - from the ceremony to the evening entertainment. From what I saw I can highly recommend to any other brides-to-be. The room (no 5) was large with a huge bathroom. Clean and fresh. The staff were helpful and breakfast was delicious. Would stay again

Room Tip: Rooms at the front I think would be quieter if there is a party going on. Room 5 had good views over the countryside.
3  Thank whhammond

Dear Whhammond
I very much appreciate your wonderful review of the hotel. I am pleased you had a lovely time, thank you for your recommendation and I hope to see you again soon.