“Older accommodation being upgraded, Great support, They Listen”
Review of Silver Hills Motel

Silver Hills Motel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Queenstown
Reviewed 8 April 2012

When we arrived I had a predisposed back problem that decied to explode on the scene upon walking into reception. Our booking was expedited and I was provided with physical assistance to get me to our room as I had collapsed to the floor. My wife was given all the assistance the management could possibly provide. The motel has a large dining room and considering my disposition meals were brought to our room. The food was great. The motel is older, it has approx 50 units and these are modest but being slowly upgraded. Our bed was great. Free internet connection is available. The motel is only a 10-15 minute leisurely walk into town. I was so thankfull for the assistance received and genuine concern shown.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 March 2012

When you arrive at the Silver Hills Motel, you can see that it used to be quite modern and nice - but that must have been quite some time ago. I'd say it is still o.k. to stay there if you cannot find anything nicer but it's definitely bad value for money. The room we had was quite small and a bit smelly. I'd say the bedroom was even acceptable, even though it was not very clean but the bathroom was just rotting away. Everything was very old and the towel rail was only very loosely attached to the wall and eventually fell out of the wall on one side.

Apart from that, we've actually enjoyed that it was pretty quiet and we've had a really nice view of the mountains from our window.

This place is definitely not horrible or anything, so I believe it just takes some renovations and some more cleaning - and this could be a nice place to stay again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
silverhillsmotel, Manager at Silver Hills Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2012

This Motel was certainly THE place to stay some 15 - 20 years ago, and it is this owners intention to bring the Silver Hills Motel back to its former glory ... and yes we are currently renovating! With 60 odd rooms, Restaurant, Kitchen & Laundry we have accomplished an amazing amount in just a few months, and feedback from locals and guests, and occupancy rates have really improved. But there is still more to do ... hence room rates have been kept well below the other properties in Queenstown, even though our product is now superior.
I wouldnt describe any of the bathrooms as you have though, although some do need modernising...so my promise is to everyone is to provide clean, warm and comfortable rooms and great food at a very...very acceptable price point...as well as great customer service

Reviewed 14 March 2012

This motel is on the outskirts of town and in a quiet location with great views of the mountains. Room was rather small and the shower and toilet very small! It was clean and comfortable. I had to ask staff to open the windows as I could not reach! Very hot. Continental breakfst is available during the week, but closed on Sundays so I had to have my own food in my room. Dinner had a limited menu and last orders at 7.30pm was a bit early for me. However, the food was quite good. James is the new owner, very pleasant and helpful, and acknowledging he has plenty of work to do to improve this motel.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank female-tourist
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Silver Hills Motel is located about 1 km from Queenstown centre on the main - but quiet - road into the town from direction Devonport.
The property is a mature traditional motel set-up, with a central building housing motel reception and a restaurant, and several separate blocks of motel cabins. There is plenty of free off-road parking directly outside the motel rooms.
Our room - described online as an Executive Queen room - was a small double room (by far the smallest so far during this Australian holiday) with a small ensuite shower room. The room had a single chair and a TV unit, as well as the reasonably comfortable queen bed. The decor was neutral and in reasonable condition. There was no aircon in the room, but it did have a small heater. The room was advertised with free WIFI internet, but it turned out to be virtually unusable due to constant service interruption from poor reception (we were warned about this at check-in, when we were told that poor WIFI reception is a general problem in the town). The ensuite shower room looked rather tired. The room was perfectly clean.
Our only contact with the motel staff was at check-in, where our host was very personable, friendly and helpful with local directions.
We did not use the motel restaurant, so I can't comment on that.
Our overall impression was of a basic, no frills motel, ok for a night stop, but not for a holiday stay. With the size, finish and equipment provided in our room, the room description of "Executive" was a bit of an exaggeration!

Reviewed 26 February 2012

Wonderful town. Daggy motel. Rooms really rough and cleaning lacking - just look under the beds to see when they were last vacuumed. Restaurant not as good as they thought. Food pretty bizarre. Sorry, but by far the worst stay in Tas.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
silverhillsmotel, Owner at Silver Hills Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2012

Firstly thank you for your review. From an owners prspective, it is never nice to recieve a negative review such as yours, especially when we are working so hard at renovating and rejuvenating such a classic West Coast motel. But all the hard work aside, it is the basics such as ensuring beds are vacumed under, even when we have been so busy, that are one of the cornerstones of great hospitality. So again thank you, as I have workshopped your feedback with the housekeeping team this morning. I will admit to being a little lost though on the ' bizarre menu ' comment. Entrees include breads, soup, prawns, calamari and mango chilli chicken, and mains include a range of great steaks, a pocketed chicken breast, a pork belly, a fantastic homemade ( and reasonably hot ) Rogan Josh curry, as well as a salmon dish and everyones favourite, the Chicken Parmigiana. We are also one of the only restaurants in Queenstown with a Chef, one I have worked with previously at a major NSW Resort.
So I am sorry we didnt meet your expectations. Like ALL motels in Queenstown, we are an older property, but one we are working very hard to improve at what I believe is a very acceptable price point compared to the other Queenstown properties.

Reviewed 27 January 2012

The rooms are small and basic, but this place is quite far from anywhere and the beds are comfortable and that is what should matter when you are only stopping to sleep.

The surprise for me was the restaurant. Amazing food! Twice cooked pork belly was really good. Lovely meals.

Don't think I can think of a reason to ever come past Queenstown again, but if I did, I would stay here.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Minerva22
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Queenstown Tasmania isn't the prettiest place in the world and it was cold and raining while we were there. Never the less, the staff were excellent an after leaving my PJs there were good enough to post them to me. The electric blanket was a real blessing. A big plus for them is that they run their own restaurant. By the way don't miss the town centre if you are there, it is easily bypassed. If I had to stay in Queenstown again, I would probably stay at Silver Hills again.

• Stayed: January 2012
3  Thank rcarlyle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Queenstown
The Empire Hotel
#1 of 6 in Queenstown
Mountain View Motel
Mountain View Motel
#5 of 6 in Queenstown

Been to Silver Hills Motel? Share your experiences!