Silver Hills Motel
The Empire Hotel(Queenstown)
US$61
US$53
  • Restaurant
Comfort Inn Gold Rush(Queenstown)(Great Value!)
US$86
  • Free Internet
Risby Cove(Strahan)
Motel Strahan(Strahan)
TripAdvisor
All reviewslamb ribscurryfast wificomfortable bedfamily roombusiness tripwater pressurenight stopsmall townthe ownernice serviceon site restauranttouring tasmaniaan upgradein towndining roomshort stay
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Had a great night at Smelters with a group of friends on Ducati Owners Club "Tiger Hunt" event. The food and atmosphere was great. Many said the steaks were better than the Ball & Chain in Hobart. We'll be back.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Garry E
Reviewed 19 February 2013 via mobile

We stayed overnight after a trip on the West Coast Wilderness Railway. It did us just fine. The owner/operator was very welcoming. The room was very warm (it was quite an unseasonably warm day and it would have had the sun on it all day), but we kept the bathroom door open overnight which let the cool air in. I had a really good sleep, the bed was quite comfy and free wifi connectivity was great (unlike a previous comment someone made). The restaurant is incredibly expensive, which put a further hole in the wallet after the railway. The food was pretty, not the best for the price you pay, and the waitress didn't smile at all. Maybe the majority of business comes from the WCWR so she didn't feel the need to put on the customer service hat hehe. In any case, it's definitely the place to stop for a night or two while in the area. Beautiful landscape!

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 19 February 2013

Stayed here for one night to break the trip from Hobart to Strahan. Very friendly and welcoming reception. Stayed in a Queen Deluxe Room (44), which had views of the mountains. Room is quite small but was clean and comfortable and had everything we needed for a good night's sleep. Bonus of Free Wi-Fi, which worked very well. Had our evening meal in the onsite restaurant. Excellent meals, enjoyed it very much.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights in mid January. This place looked okay from the outside, manager was pleasant - yes the key was in the door upon arrival.
The room - okay I've stayed and grew up in this kind of run down accommodation - a little tlc is all that is needed. Bedspreads at least 10yrs old, upon inspection found a Flea looking insect in our bed -nice touch. Musty smell - stays as you can't open the windows - only option is to leave the room door open - no thanks. No fans but an air cooler, my toddler kept saying how hot it was. Bathroom - shower head kept falling down and it took forever to get the right temperature. Light bulb went out on the 2nd night. Also desk is covered in carpet - no joke. My husband thought there was a second level as he kept hearing someone walking the roof. 2nd night - happened again - he concluded that the place must be haunted. Restaurant menu looked very good apart from the price - over priced considering it is in queenstown.
Locals seemed odd - a place you wouldn't want to stay in for a considerable amount of time.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Jwind44
silverhillsmotel, Owner at Silver Hills Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2013

Dearjwind44, thanks for your review. If you are familiar with older reviews and responses then you know we are currently renovating. With 56 rooms and a tough economic climate means this stand alone owner operator cannot renovate all rooms and restaurant immediately, so price is a little bit of a guide when booking. The Deluxe Queens are mostly complete, and with new beds, bed linen, etc etc I believe the rooms have come up beautifully.
But a couple of quick notes ... the benching in the room covered in carpet eliminates scratching from suitcases. If a light bulb goes out, then please advise us and it will be replaced. The haunting is no doubt a possum on the roof, we are in the wilderness. I am not sure on your comment regarding the restaurant is expensive for Queenstown. Does Queenstown have a predetermined pricing structure ? With all mains except 2 being under $30.00, the quality and quantity of food presented has attracted many positive comments, but we appreciate your feedback...but I'm not sure the locals do.

Reviewed 5 February 2013

Got the "Delux motel room". Windows barely open. No extraction fan in bathroom, water temperature changes from freezing cold to scalding hot every 30seconds. Television reception poor and "free" wifi is free cause you can't get signal.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank holidaytrippa
silverhillsmotel, Owner at Silver Hills Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2013

Dear Holidaytrippa, thanks for your review. I was very disappointed to learn that your stay was not to your satisfaction, but I also genuinely would have valued the opportunity to fix any of the fixables while you were here. I have very strong WiFi, but if it has stopped working, it just requires a simple re-boot - takes 2 minutes. TV reception is out of my control. We have new antennas, new coax, new TV's with direct line of sight to the transmitter on the mountain. Any poor signal problems originate further up the line ... Intermittent hot water is a new one for me. If you had mentioned this at reception at some point during your stay, I could have investigated. Whilst I am renovating this beautiful property, I am not re-modelling all the windows and frames ( sorry :( ) ... but with a broad selection of room types, I could have moved you to a room more suited to your requirements, again if I had known.
I'm passionate about my business, and growing it, and passionate about my guests and their expereinces here. I'm sure we tick a lot of the boxes, good food, good beds, great staff, value for money ... and I am genuinely sorry you left dissatisfied. Enjoy the rest of your holiday... James