“Business”
Review of Punthill Dandenong

Punthill Dandenong
Reviewed 20 April 2013

This was my first stay at Punthill Dandenong and I thought it was a good business hotel and good value for money. The reception is really just a key collection desk and is staffed intermittently after business hours. The italian restaurant on site is excellent in fact our business group ate there every night with a good diverse range of dishes at affordable prices. It has a small gym which is adequate for a light workout. Its not a great suburb Dandenong (crime wise) however there are real efforts by local government to beautify the surrounds. Try for one of the one bed rooms in contrast to the studio if travelling solo or as a couple.

Room Tip: Try quieter rooms at the back
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Michele B, Guest Relations Manager at Punthill Dandenong, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2013

Dear HoratioQld,
Thank you for your review of Punthill Dandenong.
We are so pleased that you found the apartments and facilities to your liking and we look forward to welcoming you back to Punthill in the future.

Reviewed 6 April 2013

We stayed over the Easter weekend. Would like to have been advised that the restaurant would be closed completely for the whole weekend, and only a skeleton staff (of one person) would be on the desk. Having said that, it meant the car park was relatively empty, which was fantastic.

We had a 1 bedroom apartment and were placed on the 7th (top) floor with a nice view up the main street, which has some great lighting effects at night. Sadly also on the Friday night the locals use dit as a drag strip. But that only lasted a couple of minutes at about 1am. We never heard them again for the whole weekend.

The apartment is not large, but it's great having the separate bedroom , lounge area, dining area and kitchen area. The washer and dryer in the bathroom were very welcome. The king sized bed was absolute luxury, and had a soft mattress topper, and a selection of pillows, so it was quite a pleasant sleep in a dark and quiet room.

The shower head gave a relatively fine spray, but was hot and relatively strong.

The car park is on the same level as the foyer, so carrying or wheeling bags is easy. When checking out we borrowed one of their luggage trolleys and loaded up the car. Other reviewers have mentioned the dubious area you drive through to get to the car park, and I agree, it doesn't seem totally safe. I don't think I would walk that area at night.

There is an IGA supermarket just down the road, which is very, very handy.

Wifi is available, but is not free, so we turned out mobile phones into hotspots - a great way to get wifi.

We booked through an online agency and avoided their credit card charge.

Would have no hesitation recommending it, because it's well located, well appointed and like coming home. It has room to move, a good kitchen and washing facilities, is secure and quiet. Walks all over a motel room.

Room Tip: Rooms over the main street may have traffic noise, but rooms over the opposite side will have train...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Longworths
Michele B, Guest Relations Manager at Punthill Dandenong, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2013

Dear Longworths,
We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay and thank you for such a comprehensive review of Punthill Dandenong.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Punthil in the future.

Reviewed 19 March 2013

I was in Dandenong for business and a bit worried about finding nice accommodation. These apartments are fantastic. The one I had was beautifully furnished, had a fully equipped kitchen, a lovely bathroom, it was quiet and everything in it looked near new. There is a restaurant downstairs that provides room service and great breakfasts and coffee. I will stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank margnmike
Michele B, Guest Relations Manager at Punthill Dandenong, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2013

Dear margnmike,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your review of Punthill Dandenong.
We are thrilled that you have found Punthill and that you had such an enjoyable stay! Our team at Dandenong look forward to welcoming you back when you next need to stay in Dandenong.

Reviewed 30 October 2012

Dear Robin,
After a detailed conversation with a Manager about our stay I awaited your return phone call. This didn't occur instead an email which has been read and addressed by myself and my husband.

I am not one to complain but I found the treatment we received by Punthill at Dandenong incredibly unprofessional, disgusting and very stressful.
We made a very straight forward booking by Patrick I believe. He emailed a prompt confirmation which stated our requirements.
Your website states clearly you provide porta cots at no charge with linen. This was at the time fantastic as we didn't have to hire these items at an extra cost.
Yes the sleeping arrangements were rectified promptly by two lovely members of staff. Who apologised profusely and welcomed us to the hotel and were lovely with our little girls.
The main bathroom smelt of faeces. It was revolting.
The utensils were filthy. Note why we were going to order a meal.
My husband's mother is in hospital locally which is why we chose your apartments.
Our eldest daughter was taken to casualty with an incredibly high fever and virus. On our return from the hospital I attempted to use the intercom system and the lady was both unhelpful and rude.
I have no idea where your companies duty of care to your clients is? The restaurant was not prepared to make payment over the phone what so ever. It was not the restaurants practice to complete an order in this way. My husband was unable to leave the room as we had a poorly infant and poorly newborn.
Any other restaurant situated in an apartment/hotel would have gladly assisted in an exceptional situation like this. I am APPALLED. Our intention was to have breakfast in the restaurant on saturday. Also to invite 6 adults to dine in the restaurant on the saturday night. We decided against this as a result of the terrible service the night before.
The kettle fused in the room which affected the power in the room. Steve or Steven helped promptly and was very apologetic.
The Punt Hill Staff in house were fine. The out of house staff were unbelieveable I am never going to stay in your complex again or recommend the complex to anyone. Word of mouth advertising is the highest form of advertising which you will not receive from us. What you will expect is a notification from A Current Affair for which I will be emailing them straight away.
Regards,
Mr and Mrs Kelly.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Jessica K
PunthillManager, Guest Relations Manager at Punthill Dandenong, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2016

Dear Mr and Mrs Kelly,

As discussed and emailed to you, we are sorry that you found your stay unsatisfactory.

I must however clarify the matters that upset you.
Our website does not state that cots are provided at no charge and I am not sure where you obtained this information.
In your original email to me , you stated that on your return from being out for the day, the bathroom smelt bad. It seems that when you arrived, therefore, you had no problem with the odour in the bathroom and I cannot explain why the bathroom would smell bad when you returned. I wish you had drawn this matter to the attention of staff as we could immediately have rectified the problem.
All Punthill properties are obsessively inspected by our Operations team and as a result of your complaint, Punthill Dandenong was scrupulously inspected and found to be spotlessly clean and immaculately presented.
In your prior email, you advised that you used the intercom system as you could not gain access to the carpark. Our staff member explained that you need to remove your card for the boom gate to open. Our staff member has advised me that you were understandably extremely stressed and upset at the time.

The restaurant does of course provide room service; however will not accept a credit card charge over the phone with no signature. I am not sure why you did not avail yourself of the service of charging the account to your room.

I re-iterate that that we are extremely eager to provide outstanding service and we are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. I know and understand that you were going through a very stressful period and wish you and your family well.
We re-iterate that you are welcome to call our General Manager and she will ensure you are given an excellent rate if you do choose to stay with us in the future.

Kind regards
Robin

Reviewed 10 October 2012

Check in was quick and friendly. I stayed for 3 nights and it was peaceful on the 7th floor. The apartment was modern, fully equipped and the extra tv in the bedroom, awesome! The parking is easy and the cafe makes great coffee. I do like an air con in my bedroom however, left the door open and it flowed in nicely. Great to have a balcony and sip a coffee in the morn. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: 7th Floor is quiet.
2  Thank SuzyHGoldCoast
Reviewed 27 September 2012

I rented out a 2 bedroom apartment for 2 days with a colleague and found the accommodation to be modern and service was good.

There is a cafe downstairs that makes a great coffee to start the day, and the hotel is at the end of the Dandenong strip with a heap of options when it comes to night time meals.

My only issue was parking at the end of the day, Dandenong itself had a bit of a "Ghetto" feel in the backstreets that made me uncomfortable leaving my car out on the street. Punthill does have a car park but unfortunately the work van was too high for this. Probably wouldn't be a problem for 99% of travellers.

Definitely the pick of the crop in the Dandenong area.

2  Thank jeff2231
Reviewed 27 September 2012

Had to book at Punthill as my usual place(Chifley Doveton) was fully booked. I booked here based on Trip advisor feed back having never heard of this Brand prior. I was very surprised on my late arrival when I was met at the gate and admitted to the undercover carpark then had my bag carried to reception. Check in was pleasant and quick. The room was not huge but more than big enough for business stays of any length and exceptionally clean. The bed was the best I have ever experienced in any motel with a superb soft top on the matress. Good TV (no pay channels though) and modern appointments and decor. I ate dinner elsewhere on business but was very surprised to see they offered a room service brekky, not the usual dried toast etc but the full cafe menu, i had poached eggs, spinach and mushrooms on english muffins with holandaise sauce for $14 and a 'real' coffee, it was lovely while i sat and finished some reports and all very good quality food and coffee. Only gripe with the venue was that there was a $5 tray service charge for room service which was only noted on the bill!! there was no mention of it on the menus in the room nor in the compendium of services and when I reported it upon checkout there was no offer to remove it - dissappointing. It is very rude to just add charges with no notice of these charges. Anyway, i will stay again as this did not detract too much from a great nights stay and I hope they fix this annoying issue.

1  Thank HorseLoverBDM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dandenong
Ramada Encore Dandenong
Quest Narre Warren
Quest Narre Warren
#1 of 1 in Narre Warren
Hotel Ibis Melbourne Glen Waverley

Been to Punthill Dandenong? Share your experiences!