Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney
Adina Apartment Hotel Coogee Sydney(Coogee)(Great Value!)
US$114
US$140
  • Restaurant
US$150
  • Beachfront
Coogee Sands Hotel & Apartments(Coogee)(Great Value!)
US$125
US$121
  • Beachfront
Royal Hotel at Randwick(Randwick)(Great Value!)
US$164
US$159
Veriu Randwick(Randwick)(Great Value!)
US$108
US$88
Agoda.com
Meriton Suites Bondi Junction(Bondi)(Great Value!)
US$107
Hotels.com
US$113
US$110
TripAdvisor
  • Beachfront
All reviewscoogee beachgreat locationtwo double bedspresidential suiteocean viewacross the roadocean barbuffet breakfastbar downstairsan upgradecouple of nightsper daycircular quaycoastal walkpublic transportcafes and restaurantscrown
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Overall the stay was pleasant. We had a king suite with an amazing ocean view and private balcony over looking the beach and pool. The rooms are dated but kept well, though a slight patch of mould in the bathroom let it down. The cocktails were below average. Room service fast and delicious. Parking is expensive at $25 per day and no validation discount so that was and extra $75 ontop of our room rate which was $270 p/night (and tht was a big discounted rate). I'd definitely go back to coogee... But would spend my money elsewhere unless I got a really good discounted rate.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Lovemcb007
Geritsk, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Dear Lovemcb007
Thank you for recently choosing to stay with us at Crowne Plaza Coogee Beach. It’s hard to go past the view and the amazing location and I’m pleased to read that you enjoyed staying in Coogee. Thank you also however for your feedback regarding the room, cocktails and parking, all helpful as we continue to improve on the product and service we offer.
If you are a member of our loyalty program, IHG Rewards Club, keep a look out for regular great deals that we offer periodically throughout the year.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Crowne Plaza Coogee Beach is a clean hotel at the south end of the beach, however it does not rate 4.5 stars and it certainly should not cost $300-400 per night for a basic room. The standard rooms are small, although each has a small balcony which is a good feature. The bathroom was VERY small, the shower is over a small bath tub and uses a shower curtain - something I loathe. Water pressure was really bad - it seemed to take a very long time to take a shower because there just wasn't enough water coming out of the shower head. The air conditioning was also quite poor - despite setting the thermostat to 21C the room always felt too warm and stuffy. The beds were comfortable, but the pillows were like giant marshmallows; so soft in fact that they wrap around your face if you're not careful. Outside the room, the pool is again very small, and to describe the gym as tiny is being generous. While I stayed there, the treadmill was broken, making the gym next to useless for me. Food in the restaurant was very nice though, both at breakfast and lunch. And all the staff were very courteous, friendly and helpful. The biggest disappointment for me was the price. At $300-400 per night, you should be getting a luxury resort experience; Crowne Plaza falls well short of that. To make things worse, WiFi will set you back another $9 for two hours, and breakfast (OMG it's not included in the price?!?) another $32 for the hot stuff. To me, this hotel is grossly overpriced for what you get. I'm not saying it's a bad hotel, just that the standard should be much higher if the room rates are any guide. I saw many other accommodation options around the same area, and I would be looking into those before staying at the Crowne Plaza again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Phil H

Dear Phil H
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I’m sorry to read that the hotel didn't meet your expectations and I sincerely appreciate the constructive feedback that you have offered. Feedback such as yours is helpful so that we may improve on our product. I also appreciate the positive comments regarding the service you received and the food and beverage offering.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

In our three week, multi location stay in Australia, we only stayed in one place where we had cause for complaint. In all other places service and standards have been outstanding. Unfortunately we were very unhappy with our one night stay at the Crowne Plaza Coogee Beach. The following were of particular concern:

- Dressing gown cord had some undescribable filth on it
- room service meal - Mashed potato cold, mushroom sauce that was ordered, didn't arrive at all
- Room not ready on arrival, had to wait until 3pm. We arrived with two exhausted children having just come off the early flight from Noosa, and had wanted to put them down to bed straight away. Unfortunately only one of the two interconnecting rooms were ready so we would have had to sit in the dark with them. A 10% discount was offered, and accepted upon complaint to manager, but it should not have come to that.
- Refusal by concierge to wash up our baby feeding bottle, either through dishwasher or giving it to the kitchen to wash by hand, citing health and safety. When pressed, he agreed to provide washing up liquid - then left us a thimble full which was not enough for our 24 hr stay. We complained to the manager who subsequently agreed to wash up whatever we needed and also to microwave the bottles in our steriliser for us.
- Refusal to warm baby food in microwave, again citing health and safety. The food was in a plastic bowl which would have taken forever to warm by putting it in a bowl of boiling water (which is what was initially suggested). My baby was hungry and crying for food. The staff member did eventually agree when I complained strongly. I am entirely able to test the temperature before giving the food to my son and of course would take responsibility for the temperature. There seems to be no recognition of the needs of families with babies, or with small children. Another example being the in room dining kids menu, having 4 out of 5 items served with chips.
- room keys stopped working hours before our agreed late check out
- wifi in room expensive - this is outdated as in many places it is now free
- $19 to watch in room movie - again inappropriately expensive
- I rang down to ask if the outdoor pool was heated enough for a two year old (as it was in the shade and a not particularly hot day). The concierge - same one who'd refused to wash our baby bottle - said 'oh yeah it's fine, there are always little kiddies in it'. Upon trying it we found it to be absolutely freezing.

On plus side, the hotel is in a fantastic location, right on coogee beach and not far from the airport (that being the reason for our stay). Our rooms had great views of the beach. The in room dining menu for adults was very good and the food well prepared and delicious (aside from part of my meal being cold and part missing, as per above!). The beds are large and comfortable, and the bathrooms adequate, albeit outdated and a little small. The manager was very helpful when we complained.

On balance I would not stay here again nor recommend it to anyone with young children.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view room, but go for the east end of the hotel as they have the fullest view of the beach and bay.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank iamtigger

Dear iamtigger
Thank you for posting a review after your recent stay. Of course we are all disappointed to read your review and agree that we could have done far better to make your stay more comfortable and enjoyable. Each of the items that you have raised has been discussed in our recent operations meeting and the wider team have been briefed accordingly. However difficult it may be to read and see this review on our site, I still appreciate the feedback and know we will improve.
Thank you again.

Reviewed 28 November 2013

I have to agree with the previous 2 reviews, this hotel is not up to standard! Very bad attitude from staff and don't even bother with the restaurant, it's like taking a step back to the 70's - bad food, bad service, bad attitude! The manager of this hotel needs to get their act together especially at these prices! Shame on you!

Room Tip: Don't waste your money
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Geritsk, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2013

Dear keith j
Thank you for posting a review after your recent stay. I was terribly disappointed to read your review and would welcome an opportunity to discuss further if you have the time. Please accept my apologies as it’s clear that you didn't enjoy your experience in the restaurant and I would very much like to understand more so that we may improve in the future. I can be contacted directly at the hotel.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

I was very disappointed with the quality and service I received on a recent booking at the Coogee Crowne Plaza.

Arriving at the hotel the front desk staff were very friendly, and easy to deal with. Unfortunately that was where my positive experience ended. I got to the room to find the cleanliness and standard of the facilities under par for a hotel of apparently 4.5 stars... There were watermarks in the bathroom shower, floors and skirting were dusty, and the previous occupants loose change under a table. (Photos sent to management).

I decided I did not wish to stay the night at the hotel, and look for alternative accommodation, only to be told that I would not receive a refund as I had prepaid through Hotels.com.

On initial discussion with the hotel, they said I should speak to Hotels.com, however after a discussion with their helpdesk, the refund was at the discretion of Coogee Crowne Plaza. I spoke to the recently appointed hotel manager who was less then helpful or understanding and said that due to the fact they couldn't clean my room, they wouldn't be able to resell. There was a cleaning crew on my floor just after my discussion with the manager, but I was told it was 'the wrong sort of cleaning crew' and that their decision was final.

I asked to complain via the appropriate channels, only to have the wrong email address supplied, and have had to complain to the global cooperate site, which I am still waiting to hear a response. I understand that I booked through Hotels.com however I was expecting the quality of a 4.5 star hotel, not a 2 star hotel with a swimming pool...

Needless to say, I am disappointed at the quality of customer service, the finishings and the overall standard of accommodation. It has severely dented my view of the Crowne Plaza group, especially given I didn't even stay at the hotel after such a terrible experience.

Room Tip: Choose alternative accommodation
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sarah S

Dear Sarah S
Thank you very much for speaking with me today. As discussed, I sincerely appreciated the time taken to provide additional insight into your experience and how we can use this to improve on our product and service. It was clear that we got it wrong on this occasion and for this I'm very sorry. I'm sure you'll agree that we have come to an acceptable solution on compensation on what I know is not a true representation of the hotel or the level of service I'm confident we can provide.