“Great hotel for the beach”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Coogee
“Great hotel for the beach”
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

We were recommend to get beach view the rooms and so asked for them on booking. We were fortunate that we all got them.
Rooms were good and perfectly adequate. I notice that another review mentioned cockroaches - my daughter said she saw one in her room.
Staff there were really nice and very helpful. We arrived early in the morning from the UK and they helped us with suitcases until our rooms were ready.
The pool was cold and was in the shade during the afternoon as the sun goes behind the building.
Access to the beach couldn't be easier.
There are loads of shops and restaurants in easy reach.
We didn't eat at the hotel but tried to get cocktails there one evening. The service was so slow it was painful. The drinks weren't worth waiting for.
If visiting Coogee Beach again, I would definitely use this hotel.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank mi1by
Geritsk, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney, responded to this review, 1 January 2014
Dear mi1by
Thank you taking the time to post a review after your recent stay. The view from the room is hard to beat and likewise the location. Coogee is a great alternative to the city CBD and close to major amenities.
I appreciate the feedback with regards to the cocktails which of course has been brought to the attention of the relevant department leader.
We wish you a Happy New Year and look forward to welcoming you back next time you visit Sydney.
Kate Gerits

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Korean first
Australia
Reviewed 28 December 2013

The hotel is well situated at coo gee beach on the sydney coastline. The ocean and pool are easily accessible from the property.

The hotel itself is a bit dated but the rooms are quite comfortable. The bathroom was tiny with no separate shower - the shower is in the bathtub.

The price was expensive- probably due to the time of year although I would have expected better service for the money.

It would have been tolerable except for the giant cockroaches that appeared in the bathroom. We reported this to the front desk and the person at the front counter simply shrugged his shoulders.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wyldone
Dear wyldone
Thank you for recently choosing to stay with us at Crowne Plaza Coogee Beach. I’m sorry to hear that a cockroach was seen in your room, we have a regular pest control programme and even more stringent considering the coastal location, however occasionally we do see a cockroach which is common to beach side locations. I’m sorry that our staff member did not react accordingly and remove the cockroach for you as would be my expectation.
Thank you again for your feedback and I wish you all the best for 2014.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed recently for a conference. Had a room facing the road but it was quiet at night. Room was clean. A nice selection of restaurants and cafés if you want to eat out. The pub next door does excellent meals and the beer garden is great for al fresco dining.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Linda W
Dear Linda W
Thank you for reviewing Crowne Plaza Coogee Beach. I’m pleased to read that you enjoyed the location and room. The Oceans Bar (below the hotel) is a great place for an easy meal with daily specials in addition to the great wood fired pizzas.
Wishing you all the best for the New Year.
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 23 December 2013

I use Trip Advisor a lot in planning holidays and we do travel a lot, so feel it is important to share our experience at Crowne Plaza. To be fair, I need to list the positives first...great location by the ocean and comfortable beds. Now, sadly too many negatives. Most important, beware...DO NOT pay more than $250/night for this hotel as anything above that it is not worth it! This is allowing for Sydney "pricing" too, as a hotel room in North America for $250/night is a great hotel! So when we paid much more than that, we had very high expectations and were told by the reservation line that it's a great hotel. I know when reading reviews here on Trip Advisor, they were mixed and I was concerned, but this time when we were in Sydney, we needed a hotel closer to the Airport. First impression on driving up...wow, this is dated! Got very nervous, then went to our room...fears were justified. Room in desperate need of a paint job, dirty smudges on walls, banged up door frames/walls, bathroom dated, just feeling unclean. Ended up being around when maid-service came and sat on balcony when they cleaned the room and never once did they vacuum our room...we walked thru the hotel different times when they were cleaning other rooms and you never heard a vacuum going...so who knows what we walked on from other guests. I asked about the glasses in the room how they clean them, and the guy said we just wash them in the sink in the bathroom...gross! Most hotels bring in clean glasses each time used. We did chat with a couple of the maids and they were friendly enough, but the standard on which they are asked by management to clean, is not good. Even tho we were told by the reservation line the internet was free, it is not! Yes, they said it will be free in 2014 (6 weeks from when we were there), we had to pay for it, $19/day! We were pretty upset about that, so thought we'll try and use their business area, but that was useless as the computers would not allow me to enter our email account. Talked with another guest in the business room and she too was very shocked with the worn look in the rooms. When I did immediately go to the front desk and nicely mentioned how disappointed we were in the upkeep of the room, especially when they are so over-priced...she just stared at me and didn't say anything...literally nothing as if she was used to hearing that. Strange. We did eat breakfast in their restaurant and it was good, but again over-priced for what you get. There aren't a lot of hotels in the area (not very good ones at least) so maybe Crowne Plaza feels they can do what they want, as it seems there are a fair number of conventions happening in the area and so that is where they get their clientele mainly...but travellers beware...if you are going to spend what they want to charge, look elsewhere until they decide to renovate!

Room Tip: Definitely need a room with a balcony over-looking the ocean, as that is the only redeeming quality...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 177Donna
Dear 177Donna
Thank you for posting a review after your recent stay. I’m sorry to read that the hotel was not up to your expectations. Certainly from a cleanliness point of view, to not vacuum the room is unacceptable and for this I sincerely apologize. The method that we use to clean glassware is a standard practice that is recognized and endorsed by HACCP Australia, a leading organisation specializing in food safety. The glassware is washed in the sink with a sterilizing tablet, a reliable and accepted method.
Your feedback is important to us and is used to constructively to improve on the product and service we offer.
I wish you all the best for a safe and happy 2014.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 22 December 2013

My wife and I stayed here 3 years ago and checking in again earlier this week for a 3 night stay it was a surprise to see that the hotel really looked run down.Our room had a fabulous view right across the beach and all the way to Clovelly but that is where it ends.It has been a long time since I have stayed at a hotel and sampled such bad food - inedible,tasteless and without love.The Staff here for the most part are really friendly - with the Room Service team being a stand out.Upon check in our room was not ready so we had a bite to eat in the foyer bar and this was the best of the 8 or so meals we had over the three days - chicken caesar salad ok and the smoked salmon bagel average.I wondered over to the buffet to see what I was missing and was dumbfounded at what was being served and how badly it was being presented - glad I gave that a miss.I decided to order a Peroni on tap at the bar -" Sorry Sir we don't have that beer today" - I go back the next day and am told the same thing - when I pressed the Barman on the reason he called the cellar and attempted to get someone to change the keg !
This hotel could be great -the location right on the beach is exceptional but I just could not recommend this place in any way - it needs an overhaul from the very top !

Room Tip: avoid eating at this hotel - around the corner there are many great/affordable restaurants
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank roosterman2016
Dear audist
Thank you for taking the time to post a review after your recent stay. I sincerely appreciate the feedback both positive and negative. Comments such as yours are discussed at our regular meetings. It’s clear that we didn't get it right on this occasion and I have certainly shared your feedback with the team.
Thank you for your positive comments regarding our location and room service colleagues.
Uralla, Australia
Reviewed 18 December 2013

We have stayed here quite a lot over the years and are IHG members.We booked an ocean view room,got a room with a partial(from the balcony) view and no IHG benefits such as upgrade,newspapers etc.We really like staying here but have found over the past few years that IHG membership is often ignored at IHG hotels.Perhaps it is time that IHG instructed front end staff in the aims of club membership.That being said,we enjoyed great breakfasts and the proximity to the beach and shops and IHG did apologize when we alerted them.

Room Tip: Request an ocean view room facing the beach.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank 10Raindrops
Geritsk, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear 10Raindrops
Thank you for recently choosing to stay with us at Crowne Plaza Coogee Beach. I sincerely appreciate your feedback and would welcome the opportunity to discuss further, in particular your experience with your membership. Our membership guests are our most loyal and I was disappointed to read your comments and of course would like to understand more so that we can improve for future.
Thank you again for taking the time to provide feedback and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.
Portland, Maine
Reviewed 13 December 2013

The best thing about this hotel is the location and its views. Most rooms have balconies and overlook the pacific; and most importantly, you're just minutes from the beach and the cliff walk . The rooms are clean, functional, and include a very usable desk. In fact, it's probably the best hotel desk I've had. The bathrooms are on the small side, but still adequate. The buffet breakfast was very good but on the pricey side. I probably would have gone out for breakfast, except it was included in the room rate. Finally, I kept the balcony door open and fell asleep to the sounds of crashing waves. Overall, a good experience and no complaints!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 0Fernando0
Dear Fernando D
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. Our location is enviable and I’m pleased to read that you took full advantage! The coastal walk from Coogee to Bondi is a must and to hear the sounds of the ocean in the evenings is very special.
Thank you for your feedback regarding breakfast and I appreciate that we are surrounded by alternatives. Our full breakfast however does include made to order items, a full selection of hot breakfast items, fruits, pastries, fresh juice and espresso coffee.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.
Kate Gerits
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coogee
Adina Apartment Hotel Coogee
Coogee Bay Hotel Pub-Style Rooms
Dive Hotel
Dive Hotel
#4 of 6 in Coogee

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney? Share your experiences!