“Our favourite hostel yet!”

Surfside Backpackers
Omagh, United Kingdom
“Our favourite hostel yet!”
Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

My friend and I stayed in this hostel for one week, two females in a 12bed mixed dorm room and we loved every second of it! It has the best location, right opposite the beach and beside the bus stop that takes you anywhere you may need to go. We met some of the best people, everyone was friendly and welcoming and the staff were all friendly and accommodating and offered their assistance with anything we needed. There is also free cereal every morning and free dinner every 3 nights a week. I had read reviews of bed bugs and uncleanliness but we seen none of that! The rooms were cleaned every other day and the kitchen and common area were cleaned several times a day! It may not be the most modern hostel in Sydney but I would without doubt stay here again. A bargain for the price you pay per night!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Banter23

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Ok so I have never actually stayed at Surfside Coogee, but I have been in there a few times and first impression was ok (apart from the dodgy stairs)

The thing I want to complain about is the crappy service I received from them regarding a christmas and new year booking I made. I have done christmas and new year in Sydney 3 times now, so know how crazy it gets at that time of year. Because of this I booked back in January and paid a deposit for myself and my 3 friends. After receiving my confirmation I heard nothing more so dropped them a few emails over the next months to confirm everything was ok, all of which went ignored. I live in NZ and visited Sydney in June for the weekend so decided to drop into the hostel, which turned out to be a 2 hour round trip. I was then informed by the receptionist that I had been quoted incorrectly and that my booking was actually going to cost us 3 times more than we thought. Bear in mind this was now 6 months after I had originally booked, no one thought to let me know and it took me going there on my holiday to be told this quite important information. I had paid a deposit and had my confirmation but they refused to honour the original quote and promised a refund of my deposit. A month goes by, still no refund so I contact them to be told they don't have my bank details - again they never bothered to let me know and it took me chasing them yet again to be told. Another 2 weeks and 3 or 4 ignored emails go by and I finally receive an email informing me my refund was on it's way - no apology or acknowledgment of their rubbish service at all. Definitely will not be recommending this place.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank HayleyEddy

Travellers are raving about these Coogee hotels

Reviewed 4 July 2013

My friend and I stayed here last week for 7 nights!! After the 1st hour we wanted to go home. The stairs to start with were steep and narrow not at all made for lifting suitcases up, and there was some amount of steps to all rooms. The was a strong horrible smell in the corridors all the time and it was freezing. We had a private room with a shared common area and bathroom. The bathroom wasn't clean or ever cleaned and there was a few people who had taken up lodgings in the common area and kept us asked most of the time roaring and shouting at the telly and video games!. They left the place rather untidy and with an awful smell! The bed was comfortable and the sheets were clean but they were old and faded. The curtains were rotten with the dirt! Over all this was a pure dive and we could not wait to get out of it!! I've been turned off hostels for life!!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank mack1991
South Lake Tahoe, California
Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

This place was awesome. I highly recommend staying here. It's really close to the beach and bus stops. You will not find a better hostel in Bondi. There are a few bars along the beach as well that are a lot of fun.

• Stayed June 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Stayed at surfside bondi, was a very unpleasant experience. After an initially very helpful welcome, we found the room to be smelly,dirty and insufficiently secure. The communal bathroom was a disgrace with the low point being greeted on entry by a swath of used toilet paper on the floor.

The rooms all lead off a central staircase where you can expect plenty of shouting between the hours of 2-4am, then up to 3 hours of quiet (relish these), before Lady Gaga makes an appearance on the hostel sound system.

Unless you are 18 and quite partial to living in filth, avoid like the plague.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 April 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for the month of November.. Although it wouldn't be the cleanist hostel I stayed in in australia it was by far the most fun I had in a hostel.. The managers Tim and Anita are lovely and very helpful.. Bbqs on the beach are regularly organised and beer Pong in the common room.. Internet not very good so naturally I felt it was overpriced.. Would defitinaly recommend to people up for some fun with an open mind...

• Stayed November 2012
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 8 April 2013

This hostel really could be so great, fantastic location, the building interior has character but I am sad to say it is up in my top 2 dirtiest places I have ever stayed in all the countries I have been too. I booked a 4 bed dorm, which could only be accessed through a large 8 bed dorm kind of defeating the point of booking a smaller dorm. The small bathroom that was shared with 8 bed & 2 x 4 bed dorms was not cleaned in the 2 days I stayed. The shower had black mould growing up the side, I have photos for proof. The main corridors, understandably in a large hostel near the beach were dirty, but i saw it mopped once. The shared walk-in refrigerator is a universe of filth with raw meat left uncovered and the smell! There seemed to be a few volunteers with no organization. With a decent manager and some coordination this place could be amazing. There were definitely a lack of power points for people who wanted to charge devices or work from laptops. But you can't beat the location over looking Coogee beach, so if a bit of dirt doesn't affect you then this place is suitable for you. Such a shame though as it could be so much better.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo