“Absolutely disgraceful!!”

and 1 more site!
Surfside Backpackers
Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

We booked online from England 6 months before our check in date and received email confirmation at the time. We arrived on our arranged date (the day before New Year's Eve) to be told that they could not accommodate us as we had only booked for 5 nights and over the holidays their rules were that we needed to stay for 9 nights and that they were now fully booked! There had been no sign of this when booking, or when we receiving the confirmation! The staff were rude and unhelpful and when we asked what we were supposed to do they basically said it was not their problem. One man attempted to 'help' by looking on his phone and rang a few places but told us they were all fully booked as it was new year and our best option would be to hire a camper van and for all four of us to all sleep in that! Apart from the mess they had made with the booking, denying they were at fault, and the rude attitude they had, the place was also tiny with the reception/kitchen/computer room/tv room all being one tiny room! Can't imagine how awful the dorms would have been. It was also above a McDonalds and you had to hike the very narrow twisted staircase which with a backpack on was not easy! If I could give lower than one star I defiantly would. Luckily we ended up finding beautiful accommodation in a lovely hotel for less money than what these theives were charging.

• Stayed: December 2013
3  Thank ChristineLucy
There are newer reviews for Surfside Backpackers

Reviewed 3 March 2014

We only stayed due to this hostel being the only one available over maradi gras. There are cockroaches everywhere and talk of how many bites the bed bugs had given you. There are 3 thin flights of stairs to climb to reception and on arrival we were told that are 6 bed dorm we had booked was full... So we would be in a 12 bed dorm. We excepted that as these things happen. Then came the $30 key deposit of which you only receive $27 back but get 1 hour of wifi instead for free. Even though it clearly states this hostel has free wifi. The rooms are so disgusting but we had paid so put up with it. This is by far the most disgusting place I've ever stayed and ever will and I'm happy to 'slum' it. We had a man in the room who had lived there for a year and his mouldy clothes were scattered across the room. There was ripped material as 'curtains'. The beds are falling apart and so much dirtiness. The communal area is tiny and so is the dirty kitchen. When we left we saw the pillows and sheets underneath the covers and I wanted to throw up, honestly don't know how I did it but 3 nights was enough. No sleep and I felt so dirty. Glad I never have to go back and they charge $35 a night. Other hostel are so much better this isn't good enough to be a last resort. PLEASE AVOID.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank 5Nicola5
Reviewed 8 January 2014

stayed for new year, crazy price for 14bed smelly dorm,no showers on the floor, one sink- awful bathroom facilities, overcrowded, loads of cockroaches on bedrooms. have stayed in numerous hostels and by far the worst. Never so happy to leave a hostel.

• Stayed: January 2014
3  Thank ainww
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Got made to sleep outside the first night because of over booking the place and payed $100 for it. Second night we got promised a ROOM but got made to sleep on matresses in the communal room, rang up and he wouldn't refund because he is greedy!! Took us hours to make sense with him and refund us some of the money so we didn't even stay the third night and then to find out we only got refunded a very small amount of the money we payed. We stayed at both places and they are discusting, they have baby birds hatching in the rooms. He makes his staff sleep on the floor, they were all telling us how unhappy they were as were the other people staying there.

Room Tip: Dont even book here there are no good rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank TaylorRose18
Reviewed 3 January 2014

This was the first hostel I stayed in in Aus, it's in a great location right on the beach.

As other people have mentioned the service isn't great and it's annoying when the reception closes at peak times! But I spent most of my time out of the hostel and didn't book any trips through them so didn't cause me any problems.

In terms of cleanliness and the cooking facilities, it's not the best. I didn't use the kitchen in the end as it was always so busy. There seems to be groups of people who sit in the common area all day watching tv instead of getting outside.

I wouldn't stay again as Coogee is easy enough to get to from other areas, and it's not very close to the city centre (I got the bus in a couple of times). There are nicer hostels about.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Well what can i say, this place is brilliant. I can't fault it.
I arrived in Australia July 2009 and this was my first hostel i stayed in, Staff were friendly. Met a great bunch of people as it was through Oz Intro i stayed there. When it came to leaving Australia i thought why not end it where i started. So i rocked up and asked for the same room as before which i got. I even managed to get the same bed as before as well so that was good. Only things that had changed was the staff and Ozintro no longer used that hostel. But this gave me a chance to talk to the newly arrived backpackers into Australia. Giving them advice.

Room Tip: Ask for either Room One or Two for the views over the Bay
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank SteveSupertramp
Reviewed 13 November 2013

This was only the second hostel i booked into in Austrailia and although we all thought it was cool to be next to the sea. we paid $31 a night and went out to buy some food to cook, come back to be told their is no hot water and the stoves were not working we had to wait for the other 40 guest to cook their food before we could try enjoy ours. no towels no hand drier one working sink was just some of the battles we had to put up with whilst staying here. all staff were friendly enough except the blonde manager who was rude and arrogant. when we questioned why we hadnt been told about the cooking facilities and hot water issues we were told "that is hostel life" absolute joke do not stay here!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Bertie H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coogee
Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney
Coogee Bay Hotel
#5 of 6 in Coogee
Royal Hotel at Randwick
#6 of 8 in Randwick

Been to Surfside Backpackers? Share your experiences!