“Great location!”

Coogee Beach House
Melbourne, Australia
“Great location!”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Great price and easygoing vibe at the hostel. It's also easy to find parking in the side streets nearby, which is a plus if you've got a car/campervan. Coogee beach is just around the corner and there are some great walks along the coastline from there. There is also a bus terminal just a block away with frequent bus services that can take you straight into the CBD and Circular Quay. Overall enjoyed my stay here!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We stayed here with our child because it was convenient for sporting activities near the Sydney Cricket Ground and the price was $110 per night as we gave card details in advance. Definitely more a not-so modern hostel than a B&B. Lot of young back-packers, making you feel like you were in a College dorm. There were plenty of reasonably clean shared bathrooms (at end of hall). Our room was small and the small TV had problems. The lady at the front desk had to get another guest to help sort it out. The TV finally stopped working in the middle of a program we wanted to watch. There was a small portable fan (which was needed). A towel and a basic sheet, blanket and pillow were provided. Included breakfast was self-serve museli, rice bubbles, toast, margarine and vegemite with milk.

Excellent location. Just out the front door, turn left, walk 100 yards and you are on Coogee beach. There is a good cliff top walk around to the left of the beach. Good range of eateries nearby- we had good burgers at 'Moo' and a reasonable breakfast the second day at the 'Oneness Cafe.' There is a good gelato place and a range of restaurants and pubs. Good thing was it made our child think harder about studying and getting to University to minimise the risks of having to stay at this level of accommodation as a lifetime routine or necessity.

Room Tip: If you are a backpacker, find out who you would be sharing the room with. Some of the rooms are larg...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank rozazor

Travellers are raving about these Coogee hotels

Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Dirty, noisy and un-welcoming. We stayed here only one night as we really couldn't face staying at this
Hostel any longer than that even though we had already paid up front for two wks! The hostel has a no refunds policy so we did not receive any refund on this. Not at all what we expected.

• Stayed October 2013
6 Thank Kelly-O-1990
London
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Coogee Beach House is all you need in a budget hostel. Having never really done the hostel thing and being in my late 20's, I was a bit dubious about booking a hostel with images of 18 years olds partying until dawn, commandeering the kitchen and basically being a rendition of my University days, but I was pleasantly surprised with what Coogee Beach had to offer. Okay so as a general rule of thumb, it is more for the younger traveler and did to some extent remind me of student halls, but for the older traveler, if you are looking for a cheaper alternative for accommodation, this is definitely probably one of the better hostels for peace and quiet. Parties aren't actually allowed here - if you are young and looking for the 'proper' hostel experience, you may want to check out one of the other hostels in the area if partying is your thing.

This hostel is very clean - I was extremely impressed! The communal bathrooms are immaculate - this was probably one of my biggest fears - and so is the kitchen. Breakfast is included with bread for toast and cereal that you make yourself and complimentary tea and coffee. The kitchen is also well stocked.

I had a private, twin room which to my surprise had a TV so if the common room (which is very homely and a good space) is too much for you, you can seek the haven of your room no problem. The room was small, but very clean with the standard 1960's carpet and bunk beds with one or two springs digging their way into the night (it's no dreams mattress!), but for a budget hostel it is exactly what it says on the tin and was more than adequate for my first 2 weeks in Sydney.

The staff are very helpful and friendly, especially Pam who was happy to answer my questions about bus routes etc. She even let me store my luggage there when waiting to move into my new place.

The only thing I would say is that it was very cold in the rooms. I arrived at the end of winter (August) and found myself digging through my suitcase for extra clothing at night. There aren't heaters in the room but extra blankets are available on request and if you go in the winter I would suggest an extra blanket! There is no free WiFi which can be annoying but you can purchase vouchers from the front desk which you do not have to use in one go.

You can't beat the location. It is a stones throw away from the beach, which is gorgeous and around a 5 minute walk to Coogee Bay Road which hosts lots of coffee shops. Walk straight up Coogee Bay Road and you come to Randwick which has more shops. Take a left at the top of Coogee Bay Road onto Perouse Road then onto St Paul's street and you'll find bars and restaurants and an old fashioned cinema that I love! It is also excellent for buses. Take the 373, 372 from the crossroads of Arden street and Coogee Bay Road (2 minutes from the hostel) into CBD (City centre) and Circular Quay (for Sydney opera House) or 313, 314 for Bondi Junction.

If you are looking for a cheaper alternative to a hotel and aren't overly fussy then Coggee Beach House can give you all you need.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Pip28
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Place was clean and tidy, including the shared bathrooms. Friendly and helpful management. No drinking policy which I appreciated. Great location right next to the beach. On the down side, my room was right next to a bathroom with a fibro wall which was disturbing to sleep. Also, being an older style building the noise of talking and music from other bedrooms really travels and kept me awake well after midnight. Not airconditioned and only one thin blanket on the bed so I got a bit cold. I was also curious that the room was 'approved' (according to the official notice on the back of the door) for one person but was clearly set up for two people with bunk beds. Being in my 50's I think I'm not up to this style of accomodation any more but the younger back packers seemed to be enjoying the place. Not for an older dood like me.

Room Tip: ask for a room that isn't right next to a shower.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank MichaelinPerth
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Stayed here for a week in July. Had a private room with my girlfriend. It was slightly small and the blankets seemed slightly dirty. Bathrooms were clean though but beware if you shower at night, it gets really cold during winter. Shared kitchen was well equipped.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank yshon
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I stayed here for a week when travelling and it has to be one of the best hostels in Sydney to stay. It is like a little community and you can make great friends here as a lot of people stay here for a long time and is great if you are working as well. Free breakfast every morning with tea toast and cereal and there are female and male dorm rooms. Only a minute away from stunning Coogee beach and there is a bus stop just opposite McDonalds to take you into central Sydney. I would defiantly recommend this place for a more chilled out atmosphere with partying at the weekend and it beats those chain hostels any day.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo