“Good hotel if not alone”

Dorsal Boutique Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Forster
London, United Kingdom
“Good hotel if not alone”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

The hotel itself was fine. Large rooms, friendly staff, good restaurant. It's on the beach and goose to the town so very central. But 2 key issues I found:

1) I was advised that the town was too rough to go out by myself after dusk so that therefore confined me

2) the free internet is via dial up and so useless unless you have a laptop with you.

Because of being advise not to leave after dark, I ate in the hotel restaurant which was actually very good.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed for just 1 night over the busy Christmas holiday period. At $300 per night it is expensive but everywhere if Forster is priced high at this time of year. Our room was large and clean and the view from the balcony is easy to take in with a beverage of choice looking over main beach.

While the room, linen and bathroom are clean the place could do with a freshen up and be a little more equipped, there are wine glasses but no bottle opener. It's obviously trying to direct you to the bar downstairs however it would be nice to enjoy something from the privacy of your own balcony as well.

We dined up the road for breakfast with friends where the view and pricing is similar but the dorsal was quiet with only a small crowd for breakfast. While not to detract form the boutique environment a specials board or something may help to attract the crowds to show it's well priced.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ribbo83
Tamworth, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

Have stayed here a number of times over the years, primarily for business. Think this is my last stay. Restaurant is overpriced and has become quite ordinary. Service is questionable and when you consider that the cost of the room and the restaurant are equivalent to city based beach hotels, the value simply isn't there. The view is fantastic, but this doesn't compensate for the service, which from the owners is less than average. If you want the view, then yes book here, but strongly recommend eating elsewhere.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Fer_L1310

Travellers are raving about these Forster hotels

Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

This hotel has the potential to offer such a fantastic holiday experience - it is right opposite the beach, has a beach facing restaurant and court yard and is close to the main town centre, but, the staff and management are seriously inexperienced and unfortunately lack customer service skills. Plus the rooms whilst they are clean are very dated and lack character. The term "boutique" is normally associated with a personalised and unique experience, but this hotel is missing all the charm and style required to be deemed as boutique. We were given a double room when we booked and paid for a king, and when I questioned the staff and asked to be moved they gave me three reasons why I couldn't move (we are fully booked, WOTIF booked a room that didn't exist, there were a lot of other unhappy customers this weekend). I proceeded to push that I paid for a king and asked them to switch me with another customer. Reluctantly they did but were not happy about it. At no stage did they apologise or offer to reduce my rate to take the double room. Secondly, we then went to the restaurant and bought 5 other friends there for dinner and it took 3 hours to get our meals... Plus they mixed up the orders and didn't cook either of the steak meals correctly. Throughout our stay we found the staff to be overwhelmed, unhappy and completely unhelpful. I wouldn't recommend staying here unless you wanted basic accommodation right across from the beach. If you want a real boutique holiday, I suggest you book elsewhere.

1 Thank Amanda L
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

We stayed for two nights in November. Staff very friendly
And helpful,taking us up to look at the deluxe and superior room choices before deciding on the deluxe as the only notable difference being a small spa bath. The view is fantastic directly opposite the beach and ocean bath. 2 min walk into town centre. Room spacious with nice balcony area, we would stay again for sure.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013 via mobile

a cup full of disgusting hollandaise spoilt breakfast. hard poached eggs also.
had huge cockroach in our bathroom overnight but otherwise the accomodation was good in a great location. i.ll go back as they are trying to improve the place with a massive investment in refurbishment so far and is the best spot in town.
i hope the owners read reviews and revamp the cooking.

Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013

I recently stayed one night in a standard suite. The room was fine and even had a view of the beautiful beach opposite. However it appears to be a family-run business and some of the staff are not very professional or sophisticated. How about when i checked in at 6pm and asked the person on reception where the restaurants in town were located and was given directions only to find that they were all closed. So I returned and booked at the hotels restaurant and mentioned to the same receptionist that all the restaurants that she gave me directions to were closed and she told me that was because it was Monday night and I then said "well you didn't tell me that when you gave me directions for them an hour ago" and she said "did I check you in?" (there were only about 3 customers in the hotel by the way) and then she thrust a pointed finger at my face nearly taking an eye out and said: "Aww yeah I remember you know). I could go on about also not being told that access through the front doors wasn't available after hours because the door was broken and having to use the carpark roller door, but you get my drift. Anyway my meal was very nice.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business