“Best Apartments in town!!”

Sails Luxury Apartments
Sydney, Australia
“Best Apartments in town!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2011

I am a regular visitor to Forster as i do my monthly sales calls up the NSW coast and i have sampled most holiday apartments in the area. I must say that Sails is by far the best i have come across and i am now a loyal repeat customer and have been for the past 2 years.

the value for money is fantastic.... the apartments are massive with huge wrap around balconies with great views of the ocean or the surrounding town and river. they are always super clean and include everything you need for an overnight or long term stay. the bedrooms and bathrooms are always clean and confortable and every apartment has a laundry. free internet in every room is always a bonus and really helps with my work needs. also the huge lounge room and comfy couches make rest after a long day very relaxing and enjoyable.

i'd like to thank the staff, Ian and Joanne, for being very friendly and always accomodating of my needs when ever i arrive.

if you are thinking of a holiday in Forster then don't hesitate to give Sails a call.....

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank ToddAustin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Cessnock, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2011

Wow!!! this place is amazing absolutely beautiful as you walk into the apartment all you see is ocean everywhere, the apartment was huge very large well stocked kitchen, dining area, and a large lounge area big enough to spread out comfortably.2 bathrooms was a plus for 5 women as well as plenty of comfortable beds in the 3 bedrooms. All areas were spotlessly clean and I have worked for the last 18 years in hospitality and could not fault it . The staff were very friendly and helpful. A very happy holiday enjoyed by all, can't wait to come back Thank You Sails. After reading some reviews I find it a shame to see such a beautiful place have some negative feed back but I suppose some people just can't be pleased. But we will be BACK thanks again Sails.
Regards Linda, Tina, Anne, Danielle and Win.

Room Tip: 9th floor
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank linda00279
SYDNEY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2011

We stayed in apartment 603. Breathtaking fabulous views & lovely decor.

It has 3 bedrooms (1xking, 1xqueen, 2xsingle beds), with 2 bathrooms. The ensuite to the main was a little small as no bath just shower/toilet/sink, and the second bathroom had the bath & shower (no window).

Our carpet in the apartment was spotless (as per other review on their carpet). The whole apartment was spotless when we arrived, and had a fresh vanilla smell. Also the towels were very clean too - I did wash them each day though.

I have to commend the cleaners, great job. We did bump into a Lady cleaner serveral times in the lifts & she was ever so polite & friendly....I think she should be promoted to Management, because she was absolutely lovely, warm, welcoming, friendly & chatty – I would have much preferred her at front desk!!.

The views are to die for....absolutely breathtaking. The verandah has 180 degree views of Forster beach & town. During the day its lovely to sit & watch the beachside, & at night we moved the table/chairs to the city side to watch the night lights!!!! Very lovely indeed!!
Wonderful large kitchen with great views as well. Fully equipped with most utensils/cutlery/crockery/pots etc. Quite a large fridge to stock & an extra large pantry was very useful for our 5 day stay. I managed to cook 2 nights & we ate breakfast on that wonderful balcony each morning!!

There are two flat screens....so the kids were always happy!! One in the main and one in the lounge room. Also there was a WII Console with two games - even though we brought our own along, we really didn't need to!!

Great leather couch to relax on....all 5 of us could use it as it was a 6-7seater. Dining table was large as well, being a 6-8seater.

The wraparound verandah/balcony meant that you could always enjoy the views from the bed as well. The kids loved waking up, & being able to look out the window & go outside to the morning fresh air with wonderful views.!! Of course we did as well!!. It was great to have the doors open and let the breeze in - very nice.

Great bbq. We used this twice & it was easy to use & clean.

My only thought was that it would have been nice to have an outdoor table big enough for 6ppl. The apartment contained two round outdoor tables, one seated 4, and the other 2. I noticed that the Sevan apartments across the road all had the large rectangle tables with 6 seating....I thought this unit could do with one of those outdoor settings instead, as it has the room for one on the xlarge balcony.

The pool is quite small…..I think our one at home is a little larger. We didn’t use it, but it was clean & tidy, with a few sun-loungers. We never saw anyone use it though. Probably because the beach is so enticing!!

There are luggage trolleys that can be used to lug up your things to your room, and these really came in handy, as we were able to do it all in one trip to our room. You will find them in the garage area in a nook near the lifts.

Sails is just a very short stroll to Forster beach, which was wonderful – around 2-4mins. Very clean beach, and the beachpool was a great choice for the kids. The colour of the water is amazing!!

Local shopping strip is a short 2-4mins stroll as well. Great shops & cafes on Wharf St.

Just a few issues....but we didn't let it spoil our holiday, because it could have:

1.. No padlock on garage. The apartment was supposed to be a lockup double garage. WE HAD TO BUY OUR OWN PADLOCK. Fancy that, with two kiddies in tow off we went in search of a place to purchase a padlock - well that was quite disappointing. We asked Management Ian for a Padlock, but he produced one without a key??? OK whats with that??? We were quite dismissed on this, and we did mention to him that we had over $5000 worth of fishing gear/sports equipment with us to store, but he wasn't worried about giving us any service on this!! He did mention that at xmas peak time there were no problems/complaints – was this comment meant to take away their tardiness of no padlock?? Fancy not having any spare padlock & keys to match??? SHAME!!

2. Check-in was supposed to be 1.30pm. We arrived at 1.50pm, and was told by Ian, that our apartment was not ready & wouldn't be for another 30-40mins. That was ok we understood, but it was as if he needed to justify himself as he continued to explain in an abrupt manner that 7 rooms needed to be cleaned that day etc. We were not looking for an apology, nor did we ask for one, but it would have been nice to be spoken to with a smile!!

When we asked for a late checkout, we were served by Joan. We were able to check-out at 4pm for an extra $50 (great value/fantastic we thought!!). My husband mentioned to Joan that we couldn't get our check-in until 2.45pm, so seeing that they were over an hour late, could that 1 hour be added on to checkout, she did mention abruptly "THAT’S NOT HOW IT WORKS!!". HONESTLY where’s the service & a smile???. We were happy to pay anyway – we expected that.

Needless to say, we never approached the front desk for anything, as we were too afraid to!!!

Its such a shame that the Sails Management that we dealt with lacked personality, smiles & service. (AS STATED IN OTHER REVIEWS AS WELL). Even when I phoned a few days prior to confirm our booking, I was greeted on the phone by someone who couldn’t really be bothered with my phone call & I was being brushed off quite quickly!! Gosh that was a great start!!

I notice the comment from Management in regards to another tripadvisor review, that most people who stay at Sails are repeat holidaymakers. I would say that is definitely because the place is quite beautiful with fabulous views, and its definitely not for the service from the front desk!!

BUT IF YOU ARE LIKE US, AND DON’T REALLY REQUIRE THE SERVICE SIDE AT ALL, INSTEAD YOU PREFER THE VIEWS & A GORGEOUS LOVELY CLEAN APARTMENT ONLY, - THEN THIS IS THE PLACE FOR YOU!!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank MIA1968
halfmoon26, General Manager at Sails Luxury Apartments, responded to this review, 20 June 2011
To receive a review such as this is extremely disapointing, as along with the many very positive comments made about our property, of which I am very greatful, service IS a priority. Like many properties, we leave in our apartments a "Guest Survey" with 5 seperate items to rate us by, ranging from poor to excellent. Out of the last 50 surveys undertaken, under service provided by staff we had 1 rated average, 11 above average, and 38 excellent, I mention these figures as I genuinely endeavour to make sure everyone who stays with us at Sails is made welcome and to these people, who we can remember, I apologise for what they have commented on. Our garage is secure underground parking with only a handful of units that have a seperate enclosed garage, not all of the owners have a lock for these, I apologise for the inconvenience this caused, again I thank you for your positive comments on Sails and our facilities and apologise for our apparent lack of service.
Nowhere
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2011

I liked this hotel very much. Though at time i was quite disappointed with the attitude of the lady working at reception. On arrival, my family was very early. Our rooms were not ready, which is fair enough as we were the ones who were early but as we asked if our rooms were ready the woman at reception started saying things like well you cant just expect the room to be ready for you and other rude statements like that.
So we just got over it and eventually got to our room. My brother was set to arrive a couple of days later and we told the reception lady that this was the case. Though when he arrived she would not let him in. She made him stay outside the complex until one of us arrived and was also rude to him at the same time.
It was a shame as this was a beautiful place. I would come here again if the reception woman was different.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank beachl0ver1960
halfmoon26, General Manager at Sails Luxury Apartments, responded to this review, 3 May 2011
"Change of ownership since the writer stayed at Sails"
It is good to see and receive reviews from guests about properties but in regards to the above review I am a little surprised to have just received it. I note that the guest stayed at our property in AUGUST 2010 I am at a lost why the report was written 1st MAY 2011. More to the point "the lady at the desk" has left due to the fact that we purchased and took over Sails Apartments on 23rd December 2010 we invite the writer to return and enjoy our property and OUR friendly staff.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2011

Be aware of glossy promotional advertisements. Lovely setting and good location but on arrival strange smells greeted us. Not sure what they were. Tape held the air conditioning cover in place - the once luxurious blend woollen carpet required an appointment with a steam cleaning specialist. The towels had suspicious stains which we then rewashed with napisan. I found the locals very unwelcoming. A shame for a place who has the most crystal clear water you'll ever see world wide.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank sydneysiders11
halfmoon26, General Manager at Sails Luxury Apartments, responded to this review, 6 February 2011
As the GM of Sails Luxury Apartments I would like to respond to the comments made about our property. We value very highly our reputation and our repeat clientelle which makes up for over 47% of our trade. The first point listed was a "strange smell greeted them" not sure if this was at reception or the room but on speaking with cleaning staff they pride themselves on the standard of cleanliness and we use where ever possible eco friendly cleaning chemicals. The air conditioning unit was held with tape and was awaiting replacement, actually being done today, very hard in a tourist area to get immediate replacement but did install a temporary unit for the guest the same day.
The towels are commercially laundered and are of high standard and we have not had ONE complaint the whole season of this problem. Carpet cleaning IS a problem as the changeovers of guests over the season makes it dificult to get carpet cleaners in as the carpet need time to try and the incoming guests are waiting to book in.
On talking with the person who lodged this report she stated that she felt our town to be "unfriendly" and the town "overpriced" I therefore trust the heading of this report meant the town and not us, I and our staff could not have been more helpful to this family. On departing they left important medication for a member of their family and were contacted immediately. As I mentioned at the outset Service and Guest Satisfation is our primary concern. Our Guest Surveys show that over 90% of our guests rate our cleanliness and service of a high standard.
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2010

This self contained 3-bedroom apartment was just what we were after. Brilliant location, wonderful views of the ocean and the lakes (8th floor apartment), and excellent self-contained facilities. Separate laundry, two bathrooms, flat screen TV, TV in main bedroom, kitchen fully setup including dishwasher. Fairly clean - just the usual dust and benches that required re-wiping (which is pretty standard these days as cleaners just do not seem to do a great job). I would stay here again and recommend it to my family / friends.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Saint-Saturnin-les-Apt, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2010

Good welcome, lovely spacious and well equipped appartment walking distance of beach, bars and restaurants. Our room on fourth floor suffered from traffic noise , also internet work intermittently! Otherwise superb.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Forster
Dorsal Boutique Hotel
Sunrise Luxury Apartments
Forster Motor Inn
Forster Motor Inn
#3 of 9 in Forster

Been to Sails Luxury Apartments? Share your experiences!