“1950's cutie, about to be bulldozed. It's conveniently located and OK for a bed with aircon.”

Great Lakes Motor Inn
Great Lakes Motor Inn
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Forster
Bowral, Australia
Reviewed 5 January 2013 via mobile

It reminded me of motor inn stays as a child, but run down though clean. It has been a very cute 1950's motel in its former years, but as it's about to be knocked down (there is a model on the office of the tower they are to build) there is not a lot of care anymore. Room was basic, a bed for the night when nothing else was available. Very convenient location, we strolled to beach and restaurants. No wifi or laundry as advertised. Not as bad as some people suggest, we paid $125 by calling when all else was full. Air con was good, bed was double only. Had to giggle at the "beautifully renovated" sign painted in cursive script out front - it was renovated, but 20 years ago. Felt sorry for this little motel, one of the last of its kind. Wish someone would do it up as a 1950's themed place not doze it, as it has a charm about it.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Lucy4Simba

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
nsw
Reviewed 1 January 2013

we arrived after booking last minute on wotif.com, the organisation and communication between owner and cleaner (yes cleaner was checking people in!, well thats who she claimed to be!) was non-existant! we had actually booked online the day before arrival and they did not have a room allocated to us! to which they stated "it hasnt come through on the computer yet" um hello online bookings are usually instant!!! they also had a bad septic system where (if the toilet even flushed) feaces would be constantly washed back up into the toilet bowl! it was disgusting! they have "beautifully renovated" painted on the front side of the building which im confident that yes they had renovated..... in 1978! the bed felt like it had only a thin piece of material between you and the springs, the floor would have been more comfortable. I could go on forever but all i need to say is never again and no i didnt pay the budget price, i paid over $200 per night as it was new years so i have reason to be cranky!!! the only thing this place has going for it is the location, close to town centre and local beach. all i can say is id rather sleep in my car.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank laney B

Travellers are raving about these Forster hotels

coffs harbour
Reviewed 20 December 2012

When I told them I had a baby I was told abruptly that for $69 (the advertised price) it wasnt worth having to change the sheets for me, and then the man hung up on me. Rude, unhelpful and didnt want my business. Im sure there are plenty of places to stay where your allowed to at least book a room for the advertised price.

Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank steve223CoffsHarbour
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Affordable (we found it on LastMinute.com) - It was a last-minute find, and I felt it was also worthy enough of a review on here! We had first planned on camping overnight somewhere in/near Forster on our road trip, but the rain was relentless! We looked up a good deal during our drive & found this gem. We were able to book over the phone, and they accommodated to us for our late arrival. The room was tidy and fitting enough for my husband and I to crash peacefully in for one night. A big bed with clean linens, a quiet room, good TV, a warm shower and a kettle were all we needed. It is close enough to the beach and found along the main strip. Thank you :-)

Room Tip: The room was quiet. Our luck, perhaps, but we got a downstairs room & it was just right. Coupl...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AmyW27
Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed 27 October 2011

Don't bother wasting your time with this mob. We had booked a family room in Feb 2011 for our around Oz trip in September, given credit card details and nothing from them. When we turned up we had no booking with them, and they put ME on the phone to speak with the lady who I made the booking with. I KNOW it was her as she was Asian and had the same name. She came over and was so condescending that I was gobsmacked. "You must have got the date wrong, you must have booked somewhere else, I ALWAYS write bookings in this book here and so on"-WRONG rude lady. It was just a hopeless case and instead of offering us a room and sorting it out later, they seemed to keep throwing it back at me. If she had called me "Ma'am" one more time, in her condescending way I would have gone ballistic. I told her I was going to put this on tripadvisor and she couldn't have cared less I told them to forget it and we left and went next door, where we got a room no problem with no booking. I was furious at the way she had treated us.
Despite her denials that we booked with her, it seems awfully strange that my home phone was called later that evening by a man from this place who wanted to know where we were.My Mum, having spoken to me earlier advised him we had gone elsewhere and she said he was most unpleasant. If we hadn't made a booking, then how did he have our home contact details and the date of our arrival. Absolutely useless, rude and I certainly wouldn't be giving them my money. Heaps of other places to stay that treat you with respect and know how to make a booking.

Room Tip: Don't bother- spend your money at a place that gives 2 hoots
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank garlicprawn
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 14 August 2011

While it's not the Hilton, for $75 I got a warm, honest welcome from host Jenny and daughter Zoe when I arrived. On business and simply needing a bed, a shower and a TV before a meeting tomorrow, that's what I got. Sure, you could give the place a coat of paint, but I got a brand new iron, some laughs from Jenny and Zoe and 4 boiled eggs (my usual breakfast) delivered to my door for $5.50. Beat that! I have my own business so every dollar counts - if your employer gives you $150 a night or whatever, you will go somewhere else probably. But, for me, a backpacker, road tourist or someone not so fussed about pomp and ceremony, I can recommend the place.

Room Tip: Quintessentially Australian and honest ...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank thekegster
Reviewed 6 March 2011

This motel isn't modern and fancy, rather it is cheap and basic but in a sensational location just a stones throw from the ocean.
If you are aseeking five star facilities, try one of the local serviced apartment complexes.
But if you plan to spend the day enjoying the town and just need a place to stay, this is your ideal spot. The lady working there seemed to enjoy her job which is a welcome change for this traveller!

• Stayed January 2011