“If Carlsberg did hostels...”

The Flying Fox Backpackers
Reviewed 12 February 2014

The Flying Fox is easily the best hostel I have ever come across on my travels over the past 5 years - I return time and time again, and every time I come back I feel at home. It doesn't matter that the friends I made on my previous visit have moved on because the new guests when I come back would immediately become firm friends after a night around the fire in the hut. It's just that kind of place!

I don't need to repeat everything that has already been said below, it's as good as it sounds and no matter who you are or if you're alone or not, you will love it! The town Katoomba is a fantastic place to relax with a great coffee and cuisine, or get active and adventurous if you prefer. It's beautiful and there are so many places a bit off the beaten tourist tracks to go and explore - just ask the staff at the Fox, they will help you out and set you up with some hiking buddies if you're worried about trekking alone.

I came to see clearly on my numerous visits to this place that the owner, Ross, really passionately cares about his guests having a great stay. I think that's just what makes you feel so good about being at this hostel and it's a nice change to meet a hostel owner who makes the effort to figure out each guest and cater to their personal needs.

Just remember not to book anything else in advance for after your 2 or 3 day stay at the Flying Fox, because you will have to cancel it when you realize how hard it is to leave, trust me!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 15 November 2013

Not only the best hostel option in the blue mountains, this is one of the nicest hostels I have stayed at in OZ! Great atmosphere, very relaxed chill-out room, lots of DVD's, clean rooms, kitchen etc, comfortable bunks and very friendly owners and staff, who make you feel welcome and at home. Lovely breakfast incl in the morning and regularly organised meals/bbq's in the evening. You'll probably end up staying longer than you expect..!

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 28 October 2013

This hostel was a great place to stay, I stayed in a double room that was clean and comfortable. The staff and all guests were very friendly and helpful creating a very charming, relaxing atmosphere within the hostel. The hostel organises very good group hikes too which is great when you don't have much time to plan where to go. I would definitely come back here!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 September 2013

The flying fox really is the most homely hostel I have ever stayed in. Initially I booked in for two nights after being recommended there by a friend, on my way down to sydney to drop off a campervan. However, I quickly decided that as soon as I had delivered the van I would come back to the fox, and ended up staying there for a month!

The hostel is comfortable - there is a "just-like-home" living room, fully equipped with big comfy sofas, plenty of communal musical instruments, and a log-burner to keep warm on those cold, mountain nights. On top of this, Ross chooses his staff carefully and not only do they keep the hostel clean but it seems like he only chooses people who naturally make everybody feel welcome there.

Ross and all the staff are great for giving advice on where to hike in the mountains, but even if you don't feel like going out one day its always fun just hanging out at the hostel

It's not exactly a party hostel, but you're welcome to a few drinks in the evening. I liked that about the place - you can always go out to the bars in town, which are only a 3 minute walk away!

I really had a great time at the fox, spending the days hiking in the blue mountains and the evenings sat around a log-fire in the back garden, with a couple of beers and plenty of friends. When I'm back in Australia I'll be at the fox without a doubt!

Room Tip: let ross know what you're into when you get here - if you like an early night, or are more likel...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 September 2013

This is by far the best option if you're looking for a hostel in the Blue Mountains. The atmosphere is great, the service fantastic and the owner has lots of information about where to go in the Blue Mountains (and Australia). The only drawback is you end up staying much longer than intended!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I would highly recommend this place to anyone who is staying in Katoomba. The owner, Ross, was an amazing guy - great to talk to and very helpful.

My bed was extremely comfortable and had a curtain on it so I wouldn't be disturbed if people came in and turned the light on. And it worked. The room was clean and was cleaned every day. The same can be said of the bathrooms and the kitchen.

There was free coffee and tea available all the time and we even got treated to a free dinner one of the nights. The common room was very warm and inviting and there was a "no-technology" rule in place in the evenings so that people would be encouraged to talk to one another. I loved it. Overall, you get a lot for your money.

The location is a short walk from the train station and no more than 5-10 minutes to walk into town. Very conveniently located.

I had only booked this place for 2 nights and wanted to extend my time, but the airline wouldn't let me change my flight. You get a lot for your money.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 September 2013

We only stayed a couple of days but wish we had more time and could have stayed longer.
I'd had the place personally recommended so my expectations were high and it exceeded them.

The rooms are very clean, comfortable and nicely decorated. The bathrooms are also clean. The kitchen was clean, tidy, well-equipped and well organised. Most people cook rather then eat out, being self-sufficient walking/camping types and on a budget; there is an excellent veggie shop 2 doors down and a supermarket 5 mins walk away. One suggestion for the kitchen would be a knife sharpener somewhere handy as with a lot of happy customers using the knives, they soon blunt.

There were some nice touches such as free tea, coffee and milk and the provision of towels which many backpackers don't do. Also the woodburning stove in the lounge area made for a very cosy atmosphere.

We do a lot of walking and had come prepared with the Open Streetmaps on an Android tablet; that was very handy as many of the trails are mapped on it as well as all the bus stops.
We planned our own route the first day from Cliff Drive to Sublime Point. For the second day, Ross suggested a great hike route at Blackheath down the Grand Canyon and Horse Track to the Grose River then through the Blue Gum forest to exit via Perry's Lookout. Overall it was about 25km and we really enjoyed it.

If you are going walking in the Blue Mountains, I strongly recommend you stay here - you won't regret it.

If you're going to Sydney, consider coming here for a couple of days - it's only 2 hours on the train and the scenery is stunning.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Katoomba
The Carrington Hotel
#7 of 15 in Katoomba
Comfort Inn Redleaf Resort
Comfort Inn Redleaf Resort
#4 of 5 in Blackheath

Been to The Flying Fox Backpackers? Share your experiences!