“Best hostel for socialising”

The Flying Fox Backpackers
Paris, France
“Best hostel for socialising”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This is a fun, easy going hostel, without the `bro culture` that you find in a typical Sydney hostel. People here are generally more outdoorsy and have a lot in common. There is a big focus on creating a social vibe and it works. You'll always find someone to climb with here! There are mainly young people here (below 30), but we saw families with kids here too. The social areas are very big, unfortunately the bathrooms are few and the kitchen is small. These are the only negatives though. The hostel has a bohemian feel and there is WiFi and free breakfast.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Oswiecim, Poland
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I found this hostel in August 2012 when I took an overnight trip to Katoomba to check out the Three Sisters and Wentworth Falls. There were only a handful of people staying there at the time but it felt very warm and inviting so I made a point to come back this year! I recently (April 2014) spend three days with a friend in the 7 bed dorm and it was such a blast!

Everyone is so much more laid back up in the mountains and outside of the big city, so it was pretty easy to meet everyone and strike up some conversations. There is a large social room to hang out in with a sectional sofa and arm chairs, fireplace, books, cards, puzzles and a few guitars. There was also a nice cat who loved to sleep by the fireplace who really enjoyed making friends after we offered some of our salmon dinner.

The owner, Ross, never seems to sit down and is always working on making sure the guests are taken care of. When we walked in with a crate of beer he even helped find us a spot for it in the fridge! In the evenings there is a small fire in the chill-area out back where we'd have a few beers and talk about the hikes we've done or want to do the next day. Ross managed to team us up with another great group of travelers for an amazing hike through one of the many canyons, and offered advice and recommendations on anything we were interested in.

Seems like the only downside to this place is the lack of bathrooms when it's busy. There are two bathrooms/showers on the inside, an outside toilet and another shower in the laundry room. Sometimes it was a hassle, but I learned to deal with it and just got up 15 minutes earlier to take a shower. I've experienced a whole lot worse, so this really didn't matter much to me.

This hostel feels a bit like going to the cabin, a little musty, some things are a bit old, but radiates warmth and comfort.

Room Tip: I really liked room 6 the first time I was there.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank NaNaNaNone
Calw, Germany
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

If your not an alternative person or need more than 5 minutes in the restrooms please choose another hostel. (Especially when your allergic with cats!!!) On my way through Australia I've seen a lot of hostels and unfortunately I've to say that this one was one of the worst... For the WHOLE hostel they have only 2 toilets, two showers and two basins! Everything was old and dirty! The remaining equipment is run-down and the rooms smell musty and damp. If your in the Blue Mountains in a colder saison, the rooms are all too cold (no heaters and the windows are too thin and leaking!). Only the fireplace in the living room give off heat! One night and no one more!!!

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank Anne H
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

I had a lovely stay here - Ross knows a lot about local hikes and was v helpful. There isn't a tv so it's really sociable (be ready for no phones or laptops between 6-9pm- wasn't sure about this rule at first but is GENIUS for getting everyone socialising) and the kitchen has everything you need. Lovely outside area plus a resident cat to boot. Supermarkets and cafés nearby too. I'd recommend for solo travellers who are happy to stay somewhere rustic and homely. I must also say the owner Ross came all the way to Sydney city to bring me stuff I left at the hostel - this will give you an idea of how much he cares about his guests!! Wonderful place

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Caroline K
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Myself and my partner stayed here for a weekend recently! When we I arrived we waited outside in the rain for someone to answer the door. When they did it was a guy who hadn't a clue what he was doing. He showed us to our room and when we asked about things to do in the area is said he didn't know anything and the owner would be back at some point and he would know! We didn't see the owner until the day we left, he came and knocked on our room door at 0920 (before check out) and asked 'do you want me to store your bags?' We said no and then he asked when we were leaving. We left soon after this and made our payment! Later to find out he had someone else lined up for the room! How rude?!! He then decided to tell us of all the things and sights to see - bit late!!
With regards to the actual hostel it was smelly, the bedroom smelt musty and damp. The sheets smelt sweaty and damp and had marks on them! There was even an old contact lense stuck to the wall beside the mirror and make up on the wall also! Didn't seem to have been cleaned from previous guests! The room was also freezing and I ended up sleeping with all my clothes on as there was no heater and no one to ask for a heater!! There were 2shared bathrooms indoors and one outdoors! They were disgusting also!! They looked like they had been there for the 1950s! And the was mould and damp everywhere! The shower was full of hairs and it dribbled water also- shocking! I had to shower in my flip flops- only showers once though because of the poor hygiene! The one time I did shower I looked up and it looked like there was a camera on the ceiling!!!! I can't be sure if it was definitely a camera but it looked like one!!
Absolutely horrific hostel- wouldn't recommend to anyone EVER! It was $80 per night also - what a rip off!!!

• Stayed March 2014
Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

So my friend and I looked up hostels on our way up to Katoomba. Walked in and the guy couldn't get us a room unless we already had one online. Then when I asked for a wifi pw to book online he looked fearful of us?! I
told him I would spend my$ elsewhere. Also, poor poor English at the front desk. He claimed he couldn't do anything without the owner and said that the owner might show up in a few days but was unpredictable. I recommend the BACKPACKERS HOSTEL ONE BLOCK CLOSER TO TOWN. They have amazing facilities and great staff!!!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014

This is one of my favourite hostels in NSW.
Its like one of those secret places you here about from people round a campfire.
We stayed in the double room which houses the best bed in the world!.. we actually slept in and missed breakfast because it is so comfy! it was really clean and felt like home.
The manager is really friendly and helpful telling us about how to get round and good places off the beaten track to watch the sunset.

100% recommend this place if your staying in Katoomba, you wont forget it.
I stayed here in 2007 and returned in January 2014 because its a great hostel.
Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple