“Disappointment”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Katoomba
The Cecil Guesthouse
Ranked #16 of 19 Katoomba B&B and Inns
“Disappointment”
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I was given a preview of the room I was to stay a weekend in. When arriving on the appointed day the timid lady at the front desk led me up the stairs and after problems with unlocking door with which I had to help her, found the room was a mess so she in a fluster said I would have to wait three hours for it to be ready. Having already paid (an everlasting mistake I'll regret) and having no place fo go I traversed the streets like a homeless person. Nice intro. However the time of waiting was shortened and they rang me saying I could return. To my dismay another room had been set up for me. Lumpy bed, filthy wardrobe, and old sink with rusted taps and exposed pipes with a window which would only stay open with a garbage bin. I have a feeling this alternative was given me because I was a local but what if I had been reviewing hotels guesthouses in the area for an agency. I may have been and I'm not going to confirm or deny. The place did not settle into peace till midnight as the staff were running up and down atairs shouting or partying. The days were noisy from the gardeners radio outside and there was no effort to conceal cleaning and laundrey as would be in a more expensive hotel. Great piles lined the halls and I ended up leaving a day early. The breakfast room was the best place as the sun streamed in of a morning.

Room Tip: Make sure you get the room you paid for. Pay as you go and not in lump sum at beginning.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank JL W

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stayed for one night at this Guest house, Hemmi The Manager was Lovely as was Clarissa the housekeeper. Hemmi showed us round and was talking about the Plans he had for the place outside and in....you could see the work he had already done. Our rooms were warm and cosy. Both made sure our heaters were on....and Hemmi told me if I wanted to let my little boy watch a movie he would organise it for him,
The beds were Spotless as was our Bathroom. It is a Beautiful Old Building with a Lot of potential and with Love and care could be restored to a Beautiful Guesthouse.
The Breakfast was reasonable with a choice of Cereal and Breads...Tea and Coffee....The Kettle and Toaster need Renewed and you had to fill the ketttle the kettle up from a Water Dispenser...Perhaps The Owner could invest in an Urn.......
However, there are Permanent Residents who are housed in the main area where the guests are placed and albeit there home...I was woken at 2 am with Loud voices and then Music on and off till 06.30 am,,,So did not get a sleep...I was looking forward to a Peaceful night In The Mountains with No City noise but unfortunately due to this Did Not Get It. Perhaps there is an area away from the main area where The Residents could be.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank suzanneteasdale

Travellers are raving about these Katoomba hotels

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I had two lovely nights at this great old house in Katoomba: high ceilings, wooden staircases, gorgeous garden, fire places. I couldn't imagine how quiet but still very close to everything. I could see gorgeous mountain cliffs from my room and amazing sunrises. Breakfast in dining room under the sun each morning. And the garden in spring was beautiful. The room was very comfortable, great service, nice guests, family friendly. Traveling alone is important for me to stay in a family friendly atmosphere. I look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Susteren
Reviewed 3 September 2013

"We are not a backpackers" is a line from the advertisement. Well, that is correct, you are not, .. Unfortunately. Because a backpackers would have been better, warmer and really cosy.
We arrived, and our rooms were stonecold. The windows vibrated in the wind, so we had to stack something between the window ande the frame to get it stopped. The bathroom was ok, but a cleaning job of the ventilation every now and then could do no harm.
The breakfast was really simpel. Bread, butter and marmelades, different kids though. Ok, cereals, milk, coffee and tea also.
The manager came in the morning to our table. We thought he would have a little chat, but no, all he said was;" the diningroom will be closed in 10 minutes.
To run a warm, family guesthouse, you must give warmth, not just the heater, but also the atmosphere...... And it could no harm to maintain the outside of the guesthouse. It looks shabby!
If we would have know this before, we would have booked in the nearby YHA, a real cosy, warm, backpackers....

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Bushtuckerman1970
Reviewed 26 August 2013

My friend and I had such a wonderful time there we decided to extend our holiday and stay another night. The staff were very friendly, welcoming and accommodating. It is very charming though old and under repairs. Tucked behind the main street, with a main street address, the location was fantastic. The room had been pre-heated for us on arrival and our all of our special requests were tended to. There was a roaring woodfire in the games room, providing a wonderful atmosphere to socialise and share stories with other guests and managers. The price was excellent and we could not have gotten more value.

It was such a beautiful experience. I will most definitely be back!

Room Tip: Top floor facing the back, views with glimpse of mountains
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Bolton,England
Reviewed 24 August 2013

I found the Cecil to be a step back into another era, its such a lovely old building with an atmosphere. There are ornaments and pictures going back many many years. The wardrobe in our room had graffiti from people who stayed there in the 1960s. The funny thing is that as we were mid week in Winter we seemed to have the place entirely to ourselves. Really nice at night with a log fire and a games room and the owners had left some DVDs out for the kids. The kids actually found the place quite spooky and wouldn't go anywhere unaccompanied. At night the wind (bearing in mind its Winter) really rattles through the place, but we were never cold because the rooms seemed well heated and you got electric blankets. The staff all seemed friendly people and we liked the breakfast. All in all this place won't be to everyone's liking but I would far sooner stay here rather than some soulless motel!

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Foinavon
Liverpool, Australia
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I had a wonderful stay with my friends here. The staff were extremely welcoming and friendly and ever so helpful(very different to the managers i had met in a previuos stay). Its located right in the centre of town making it so convienient especially for those who love to shop and eat out and even the odd necessities. It has old school charm - yes there are some issues being the old girl that she is, but i know staff are addressing these, and i look forward to its beautification with my return visits. The fireplace communal room is a wonderful area to hang out and even meet new people. Overall i highly recommend going there, for the price you get value

Room Tip: ;ask for a ground level room if stairs aint your thing ;there is parking available on site
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends