“a charm”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Katoomba
The Cecil Guesthouse
Ranked #16 of 19 Katoomba B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“a charm”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

the reviews about the Cecil were mixed but i still decided to go ahead and book. i stayed here recently and adored the place. i was greeted by Stephanie, a very friendly Irish girl on the from desk who showed me around and led me to my bedroom, it was very clean and comfortable. hemi the manager,a well spoken man, went above and beyond to help me with my needs. it was clear the building was old and odd things need repair(which was clear to be happening slowly as the manager himself was busy working on the building while i stayed) but the charm and character this building has was amazing. it had a great feel and everyone welcomed you with open arms.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Ella j

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Reviewed 15 December 2013

It was an ominous beginning, a car battery and a large piece of metal laying in the car park set the scene for the rest of the stay here. After walking down the broken steps to reception we were greeted by a very confused lady, followed by an equally confused man and followed by another somewhat confused lady who all seemed to be perplexed over not being able to locate the room keys. The first confused lady set-off to locate a key only to return about 10 minutes later without the key but with a bag of beer for herself, this all had the appearance of a higher priority than providing the guest key. This all could have been a scene from Fawlty Towers if only the humour was present, but sadly not. The filing cabinet at reception had all its drawers opened and would have fallen over had it not been supported by something to keep it upright. Clearly the effort required to close the drawers was too much for staff to manage. After much confusion and insistance, we were provided with the room key. Only to find out it didn’t work, so another trip to reception and it was finally sorted out. Now for the room, the hanging space (no wardrobe in this room) consisted of a rail with a piece of cord tied to it at one end for reasons not clear. The other end appeared to have come adrift and would not have been safe to hang anything on it. The dressing table had in one draw a newspaper from October 2013 in it, I can only assume that it had not been cleaned at least from this date, other drawers had rubbish of varying descriptions. The bed was so old and springs so shot you almost needed crampons and abseiling to gear out of it. If you are looking for an alternative accommodation adventure then this is the place to stay, but for any other reason I would strongly recommend another location..

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WRZ20132013

Travellers are raving about these Katoomba hotels

Reviewed 11 December 2013

I was given a preview of the room I was to stay a weekend in. When arriving on the appointed day the timid lady at the front desk led me up the stairs and after problems with unlocking door with which I had to help her, found the room was a mess so she in a fluster said I would have to wait three hours for it to be ready. Having already paid (an everlasting mistake I'll regret) and having no place fo go I traversed the streets like a homeless person. Nice intro. However the time of waiting was shortened and they rang me saying I could return. To my dismay another room had been set up for me. Lumpy bed, filthy wardrobe, and old sink with rusted taps and exposed pipes with a window which would only stay open with a garbage bin. I have a feeling this alternative was given me because I was a local but what if I had been reviewing hotels guesthouses in the area for an agency. I may have been and I'm not going to confirm or deny. The place did not settle into peace till midnight as the staff were running up and down atairs shouting or partying. The days were noisy from the gardeners radio outside and there was no effort to conceal cleaning and laundrey as would be in a more expensive hotel. Great piles lined the halls and I ended up leaving a day early. The breakfast room was the best place as the sun streamed in of a morning.

Room Tip: Make sure you get the room you paid for. Pay as you go and not in lump sum at beginning.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank JL W
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stayed for one night at this Guest house, Hemmi The Manager was Lovely as was Clarissa the housekeeper. Hemmi showed us round and was talking about the Plans he had for the place outside and in....you could see the work he had already done. Our rooms were warm and cosy. Both made sure our heaters were on....and Hemmi told me if I wanted to let my little boy watch a movie he would organise it for him,
The beds were Spotless as was our Bathroom. It is a Beautiful Old Building with a Lot of potential and with Love and care could be restored to a Beautiful Guesthouse.
The Breakfast was reasonable with a choice of Cereal and Breads...Tea and Coffee....The Kettle and Toaster need Renewed and you had to fill the ketttle the kettle up from a Water Dispenser...Perhaps The Owner could invest in an Urn.......
However, there are Permanent Residents who are housed in the main area where the guests are placed and albeit there home...I was woken at 2 am with Loud voices and then Music on and off till 06.30 am,,,So did not get a sleep...I was looking forward to a Peaceful night In The Mountains with No City noise but unfortunately due to this Did Not Get It. Perhaps there is an area away from the main area where The Residents could be.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank suzanneteasdale
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I had two lovely nights at this great old house in Katoomba: high ceilings, wooden staircases, gorgeous garden, fire places. I couldn't imagine how quiet but still very close to everything. I could see gorgeous mountain cliffs from my room and amazing sunrises. Breakfast in dining room under the sun each morning. And the garden in spring was beautiful. The room was very comfortable, great service, nice guests, family friendly. Traveling alone is important for me to stay in a family friendly atmosphere. I look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Susteren
Reviewed 3 September 2013

"We are not a backpackers" is a line from the advertisement. Well, that is correct, you are not, .. Unfortunately. Because a backpackers would have been better, warmer and really cosy.
We arrived, and our rooms were stonecold. The windows vibrated in the wind, so we had to stack something between the window ande the frame to get it stopped. The bathroom was ok, but a cleaning job of the ventilation every now and then could do no harm.
The breakfast was really simpel. Bread, butter and marmelades, different kids though. Ok, cereals, milk, coffee and tea also.
The manager came in the morning to our table. We thought he would have a little chat, but no, all he said was;" the diningroom will be closed in 10 minutes.
To run a warm, family guesthouse, you must give warmth, not just the heater, but also the atmosphere...... And it could no harm to maintain the outside of the guesthouse. It looks shabby!
If we would have know this before, we would have booked in the nearby YHA, a real cosy, warm, backpackers....

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Bushtuckerman1970
Reviewed 26 August 2013

My friend and I had such a wonderful time there we decided to extend our holiday and stay another night. The staff were very friendly, welcoming and accommodating. It is very charming though old and under repairs. Tucked behind the main street, with a main street address, the location was fantastic. The room had been pre-heated for us on arrival and our all of our special requests were tended to. There was a roaring woodfire in the games room, providing a wonderful atmosphere to socialise and share stories with other guests and managers. The price was excellent and we could not have gotten more value.

It was such a beautiful experience. I will most definitely be back!

Room Tip: Top floor facing the back, views with glimpse of mountains
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends