“Food Poisoning”

Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I visited on the 22/6 I had the chicken! 12 hours later I was terribly ill, the hospital confirmed I had food poisoning I felt like I wanted to die! I called hotel management who met me with hostility and told me I sounded angry! Well hello your food made me horribly sick!! She gave me the standard reply of I'd like to get to the bottom of it, I think she wanted to believe that myself and 3 other people didn't get sick from there! Guess what Family Hotel we did! In my case it was all I had eaten that day so no dispute I got food poisoning at The Family Hotel. After spending hours in a dreadful state, I for one don't appreciate feeling like I'm met with hostility by the very place who made me so incredibly ill!

Date of visit: June 2014
3  Thank Jilliey
Carmel B, Owner at Blackburn's Katoomba Family Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Gillian, I attempted to genuinely work through the issues with you by asking questions of timing, type of food vegies, what had been eaten the previous evening - anything that could assist me, as it was important to me to get to the bottom of it, it certainly was not a standard reply - as we had not experienced such a complaint before. I requested you to have your friends contact me so we could put a picture together - I gave you my personal home number and asked you to encourage them to contact me (three times I asked this) - this did not happen. After you contacted the local health inspector he visited the kitchen and went through all of the process taken to put together your deep fried chicken - the chicken arrives on site pre- cooked from a commercial supplier. The Health inspected was more than happy with the kitchen, the labelling preparation area and all the other important things in a commercial kitchen. My understanding he has since contacted you and feed back to you his independent feedback. Carmel B Owner

Reviewed 2 June 2014

For the price and convenience, this is a good option for dining relatively cheaply in Katoomba, especially for older travellers. All meals were cooked at a standard higher than we expected. My only complaint was the annoying music that was a mixed-bag playlist from the 1930s-1970s. Quieter instrumental music or no music would be better.

Date of visit: May 2014

Thank You for your positive feedback - Carmel B

Reviewed 14 May 2014

This family run restaurant and hotel offered great value for money. The steak and sauce dish was really good and the size couldn't be beaten. Children have to be accompanied around the restaurant, on the way to the toilet for example, because the dining area is connected to the bar which is only for person's who have reached the legal drinking age.

Date of visit: February 2014
1  Thank tototronic

Thank You for your feedback - we now have opened up new toilets next to the restaurant for all ages - Carmel B

Reviewed 21 April 2014

These are great old fasion pub meals. Crumbed Lamb Cutlets with Gravy and Mint Sauces with Mashed Potato and steamed vegetables. All homemade. No instant potato, more than generous serving. Recommend to everyone that wants a good meal that doesn't break the bank and leave you wanting more. Staff are very friendly and helpful which is a rare find in such a tourist destination. Very much the pub on the corner you can go to everyday Sunday for a good Meal.

Date of visit: April 2014

Thank You so much for the feedback it does help us to keep focused and gives the staff a great boost - Carmel b

Reviewed 14 November 2013

We go to the Family all the time and not once have we been disappointed, I would recommend it to anyone that is not pretentious and just wants to have a good feed.

Date of visit: September 2013