“Relaxed luxury”

The Lounge at Lilianfels
Ranked #20 of 92 Restaurants in Katoomba
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Lounge invites guests to relax in plush Victorian armchairs, curl up by the fireplace with a book, or simply gaze out over the spectacular views of the Jamison Valley. Afternoon tea is served in grand tradition daily and a stylish mahogany bar is the perfect setting for pre-dinner drinks.The Lounge offers all day dining from 11am to Late Monday to Sunday, sumptuous afternoon teas and refreshments served both inside and outside in the adjoining garden.
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Great old fashioned furniture, oversized lounges and armchairs. Open fires for winter, high tea and formal silver service at a price.

Reviewed 8 September 2012

We went for the High Tea and were very disappointed in both the quality / presentation of food and lack of service.
Sandwiches were dry and had ham and what looked like kraft singles cheese?!? At $55 per person (more expensive than any high tea in Sydney) I was shocked. There is no difficulty or technique in ham and cheese single sandwiches. Where were the traditional high tea cucumber or smoked chicken sandwiches? Also cream for the scones was overwhipped or out of a can and seemed thick like butter. Three of the desserts were also custard based which seemed a bit uinventive. My husband was a bit hungrier and ordered the wagyu burger. It took 40mins to come out and it was raw in the middle! $28 for a raw burger! When I pointed it out to the service staff she argued it was medium even though she could see it was red raw. She eventually took it away and said would let the Chef know... AND that was the end of it, no can I get you something else or I will take the $28 raw burger which you could not eat off your bill, no nothing. This place has gone downhill ever since their Head Chef left them. They are on borrowed time surviving only because of there location and previous good reputation. Simple advice, avoid.

Reviewed 6 August 2012

I would recommend indulging in a pot of tea here if you have the chance. We stopped for morning tea after a walk to the 3 sisters. The lounge certainly is classy yet relaxed, with comfortable lounge seats and logs fires. We ordered 3 Devonshire teas (each serve 1 plain scone, 1 fruit scone, jam, cream and tea/coffee), 3 teas and 2 serves of chocolate chip cookies. Total bill $90.
The scones were light, fresh and warm, sadly we had to wait another 5-10 minutes for our drinks to arrive. The chocolate chip cookies were so bland there was no point in eating them, even the chocolate chips didn't taste of anything.
In addition the facilities had a small bin for the used paper towels which was full and so there were towels on the floor. It clearly needs to be checked more often or a larger container provided.
The service was excellent, staff thoughtfully provided a quiet corner in the empty dining room for my friend to settle her crying baby rather than trying to do so outside in the cold.
As a 5 star hotel this experience should have been without fault, to my mind there are elements that need to be improved to bring them up to their rating standard and the prices they charge.

Reviewed 31 July 2012

We loved it , wandered in after doing all the Scenic world rides and walks. A pianist was tickling the ivories, and we were able to find ourselves a seat at the log fire... totally indulgent. we started off just having drinks which were served with a bowl of assorted nuts/dried fruit. The service was restrained and efficient , the wine delicious . We ended up ordering a late lunch and more wine. The sandwiches were excellent, mine vegetable with hummus totally delicious. Expensive, but sometimes one has to indulge a little and if the service is good, the food, wine and ambience great. its worth it.Probably not a good place to take the kids, though in summer they may be able to play outside.

Reviewed 26 July 2012

I went with my mum, Aunty and great aunt to lilienfels lounge for high tea. We had a perfect time. The atmosphere was lovely, the seats very comfortable. In winter they have the fire going, which of cause adds to the ambience. I saw other people ordering a late lunch and that to looked yum. The high tea food was very nice. And my mocktail was very tasty. Absolutely no complaints. No one wanted to leave to go home as we were having such a good time and was so comfortable. Wish I was going tomorrow!