“Unwind”

The Lounge at Lilianfels
Ranked #24 of 91 Restaurants in Katoomba
Cuisines: Australian, British
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Drinks, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Lounge invites guests to relax in plush Victorian armchairs, curl up by the fireplace with a book, or simply gaze out over the spectacular views of the Jamison Valley. Afternoon tea is served in grand tradition daily and a stylish mahogany bar is the perfect setting for pre-dinner drinks.The Lounge offers all day dining from 11am to Late Monday to Sunday, sumptuous afternoon teas and refreshments served both inside and outside in the adjoining garden.
“Unwind”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

Great Place to relax after a walk, or drinks by the fire or just play scabble. I like the fact that you can be in your own space with other people doing the same thing or you can strike up a conversation with others. They also do a really nice High tea here

Visited June 2013
Ralf B, General Manager at The Lounge at Lilianfels, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

It’s a pleasure to read that you had a great High tea, and enjoyed the Facilities and our team that looked after you.

“Elegant and peaceful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

Great food and service, accompanied by good pianist. There is always a spot to settle into and never any pressure to leave.

Visited March 2014

Sydney
“Overpriced disappointing food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

We came here for high tea as the hotel has a good reputation in the area. The description of the high tea didn't thrill us as we would have liked more savoury options, but we decided to go ahead with the high tea as we thought it would be a nice experience in a relaxing setting.
We were shown to our seats which were undoubtedly the worst in the restaurant. We didn't mention anything about that, but the hostess apologised that the other tables were taken. We appreciated that she made a point of saying something, but we were there for a couple of hours and there were quite a few seats that were vacant for the entire time we were there. Also, we were sitting directly under an air vent, which was a bit unpleasant and detracted from the ambience. The rest of the restaurant looked quite nice though.
The coffees were nice and we were offered more than one each. The food however was quite uninspiring and we felt a bit sick by the end of it.
The bottom tier of the high tea tray consisted of an egg sandwich (pleasant), a pancetta and cheese sandwich (the cheese reminded me of a kraft single) and a salmon and dill scroll (nice).
The middle tier had scones and jam with clotted cream, which were quite pleasant.
The top tier consisted of a range of small sweets. The raspberry coulis on the panacotta was way too tart. We also noted that there were fingerprints on the glass, which we wouldn't have expected at a high end restaurant that was charging high end prices. Overall, we were not impressed with the selection, and at $55 a head we expected a lot more in terms of service, food quality and attention to detail.
We had to ask several times for them to top up our water and towards the end of our meal we were presented with the bill and felt like we were rushed out. We have been to many high teas in the past, and this was the most expensive and by far the worst we have had. We will not be back.

• Visited March 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for reviewing your recent experience at Lilianfels Blue Mountains Resort and Spa.

I am disappointed to read that on this occasion we did not meet your expectation. We are known to provide great customer service, and failed on this occasion. I hope you will accept my apologies and rest assured I will together with my Food and Beverage Manager and Executive Chef to analyze what went wrong.

If you would like to discuss this matter further, please feel free to contact me on gm@escarpmentgroup.com.au

Sydney, Australia
“Lounge area nice but High Tea nothing to rave about”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

We were staying in the hotel and I decided to have High Tea in the Lounge while my partner was bush-walking. It was mid-week and I walked into The Lounge to find it complete devoid of other customers and just 1 staff member. High Tea was ordered quickly and arrived within 10 mins which was great. The food is good quality but uninspiring however the scones are just awful. This isn't my first High Tea here but it had been a while but as soon as I touched the scones I remembered. They are hard and not at all enticing. So hard in fact, when I tried to cut into the fruit one, it flew across the room.

The memorable item of the tea tray was the chocolate dome - beautiful. Very rich and the perfect size. It is a shame the rest of the plate were not on a par. A mini muffin (hazelnut ?), tiny blackcurrant tart and a creme brulee with blue jelly balls on it (suprisingly good whatever they were) were matched with 3 sandwiches - ham and cheese (boring !), egg (also nice but nothing amazing) and a lovely roast beef with horseradish which was sadly almost impossible to eat as it was on a slice of crusty baguette 1.5cm thick. I ended up with it turned upside down on the plate and horseradish everywhere. What was most disappointing was that there was no theme to the the items, it felt like someone just opened a fridge door and put whatever was in the fridge on the plate.

All this for $49.50 plus credit card surcharge which is the mid week price ($55 on weekends) which really wasn't good value. At $40 I would have thought it acceptable as a whole experience but am fairly sure this is the last time I will partake in this option.

• Visited January 2014
Ralf B, General Manager at The Lounge at Lilianfels, responded to this review, 8 February 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for reviewing your recent experience at The Lounge @Lilianfels Blue Mountains Resort and Spa.

I am disappointed the hear that on this occasion we did not deliver what we are known for.

I hope you except my apologies, and I will be able to talk to you in person re your experience. Please send me an email with your details, so I am able to get in contact with you.

gm@escarpmentgroup.com.au
Vienna, Austria
“if you like high tea”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

then go here - couches cushions low tables and the atmosphere is british-ish .
the choice of the high tea is fine , service only ok.
you sit comfortable and in winter it must be even better with the lit open fire place.

Visited January 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

It’s a pleasure to read that you had a great experience, enjoyed the facilities and our team that looked after you.

I hope we can welcome you back to Lilianfels in the near future.