“Lovely, but too many small annoyances”

Lilianfels Resort & Spa - Blue Mountains
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Katoomba
Reviewed 22 April 2014

This was my third visit and I left with very mixed emotions. The rooms and lounge areas are lovely, old style and makes you feel at home right away. The location couldn't be better, with just a short stroll to the Three Sisters and Echo Point.
A number of small things though, makes the overall rating drop.
Wifi is advertised as free, but only for 24 hours AND at a very low speed. After the 24 hours or if you want higher speed you have to pay more, which I did. During our two days stay I ran a number of speed tests and NOT ONCE was it even close to what I was paying for. Extremely irritating.
Breakfast service was not up to standard. Way too many empty plates on the buffé and very slow service. On top of that any speciality coffee is charged extra for.
We stayed with our two teenage daughters and paid full price for them as two adults in a separate room and they were charged for having hot chocolate instead of coffee or tea with their breakfast which is ridiculous.
We had opted for a package which included a three course dinner. The three course dinner menu costed $ 125 per person. However, only $ 110 was deducted when we checked out. I still find the "package deal" very misleading.
I'm sorry to say that I will probably not come back again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank JaffaG
Ralf B, General Manager at Lilianfels Resort & Spa - Blue Mountains, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for reviewing your recent experience at Lilianfels Blue Mountains Resort and Spa

I am disappointed to read that on this occasion we failed in some areas to provide you with the service, and attention we are known for.

I hope you accept my apologies, and rest assured all issues raised will be addressed with the relevant departments. On a side note we have since upgraded our entire WiFi network with a fibre connection to increase the speed across the hotel.

I hope I will see you again soon at Lilianfels Blue Mountains Resort and Spa.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Our stay was for 2 nights, and I have to say that this hotel is lovely. From the moment you walk in, you feel welcome. Room was beautiful. Old world ambience and very clean. The lounge area and fireplaces were very welcome after enjoying the nearby walking tracks.
Just 2 gripes: Wifi is advertised as free BUT only for 24hrs, then you pay. Speciality coffee at breakfast is extra. Come on, after paying quite a bit for the hotel,
this is just petty! Would I recommend this hotel- totally!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Valued Guest,

It’s a pleasure to read that you had a great stay, and enjoyed the facilities and our team that looked after you. Thank you for your feedback regarding our WiFi and coffee which we are reviewing.

I hope we can welcome you back to Lilianfels in the near future.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

This was my 2nd visit having first stayed here in 2000 as a respite from backpacking. This time I needed a break over the weekend of a 2 week business trip to Australia. It is every bit is gorgeous as I remembered.

Lovely room, stunning views, fabulous food and really relaxed and helpful customer service. Just what I wanted. They looked after me very well indeed and I went back to Sydney and work feeling refreshed and revived.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Ralf B, General Manager at Lilianfels Resort & Spa - Blue Mountains, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Thank you for reviewing your recent experience at Lilianfels Resort and Spa.

We are pleased to hear that our staff were both welcoming and helpful and it’s a pleasure to read that you had a great experience, and enjoyed the Facilities, I hope to see you again soon at Lilianfels.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

Enjoyed staying at this professionally run very "civilised hotel". I really enjoyed the outdoor pool. Massages at $150 a pop a over the top though. I would definitely stay here again. David the valet was very helpful and professional.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Ralf B, General Manager at Lilianfels Resort & Spa - Blue Mountains, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2014

Thank you for reviewing your recent experience at Lilianfels Resort and Spa.

It’s a pleasure to read that you had a great experience, and enjoyed the Facilities and our team that looked after you, I hope to see you again soon at Lilianfels.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

The property is well located, a short stroll to the major tourist attraction. Service was warm and friendly from arrival and attentive throughout. Room was well appointed, comfortable and offered partial views to the visually stunning valley. Didn't try Darleys restaurant this time but have been before and it's fine dining and has a good menu. Took in High Tea and snacks in the bar in the afternoon. Over-priced but food was delicious, with pleasant decor and friendly staff made for an enjoyable experience.

• Stayed: April 2014

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Lillianfels is a special place, and this was our second time there. The facilities including the rooms are beautifully decorated and are surrounded by lovely gardens and grounds. The staff and management are absolutely the best. This is an easy get away from Sydney. We have simply taken the NSW trains from Central to Katoomba both times and easily gotten a taxi for the short ride to the hotel. As the Blue Mountains, and this particular part of them, are a major tourist destination, you really don't want to be driving around anyway. There are great walks directly out of the hotel, with "hop off hop on" buses available if you want to venture further. Also, I have to mention the food. The Echos Restaurant has excellent food as well as the lobbly dining room. Darley's was closed (Mondays and Tuesdays), so we didn't get to sample it.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alanbill16

Reviewed 6 April 2014

We have just arrived home from Leura after a weekend away to celebrate our 10 year wedding anniversary. Our time at Lilianfels was really special. Darleys restaurant was exquisite. We purchased valet parking for the duration of our stay, and when our almost brand new vehicle was brought to us this morning upon check out there was a dent and fresh scratches to the passenger side of our car. The porterman was empathetic and referred back to the original condition report (which showed no sign of damage). However, there were no managers on duty at that time so we were given details for the GM. Throughout today, we have received 2 less than friendly phone calls from the manager on duty (not the GM) informing us that as Lilianfels will not accept responsibility and we would need to file our own insurance claim and investigative work. What more proof do they need? The car was unmarked upon arrival and now has damage (with documentation and photos/ witnesses to concur)! We were informed that video footage would be available, but they could not tell me how long it would take to view, nor did the manager we spoke to seem interested in helping us at all, rather, she wanted to prove her point that they would not be accepting liability. So much for superior service!! This has not only left a very bitter taste in our mouths, but leaves us with the time consuming hassle of having to file our claim and conduct our own investigations in order get any sort of support from Lilianfels. We are shocked and utterly disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank MaxandSare

Dear Valued Guest

I personally emailed you on the day of the event, to allow me time to investigate, and again emailed you three days later to advise you that after a full investigation this damage did not occurred whilst in our care.

I am sorry that you feel disappointed, but I can only be responsible for damage that have been caused by my team.

gm@escarpmentgroup.com.au

Also consider these accommodations in or near Katoomba
The Carrington Hotel
Mountain Heritage
Mountain Heritage
#5 of 15 in Katoomba
Palais Royale Blue Mountains

Been to Lilianfels Resort & Spa - Blue Mountains? Share your experiences!