“Poor value for money”

Lilianfels Resort & Spa - Blue Mountains
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Katoomba
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

What you get at this hotel for the money a stay costs is poor to say the least. The description says free self parking, I found out what that means on a weekend is that you can park on a street 500m away if you don't wish to pay for valet. When they say free wifi you better hope the hotel is empty so you don't time out. I came here for a romantic weekend and discovered the spa and steam rooms are seperate for male and female. Not what I expected when I booked, probably better alternatives in the area, especially given the price.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
13  Thank Simon_Jasper
Ralf B, General Manager at Lilianfels Resort & Spa - Blue Mountains, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2014

Thank you for reviewing your recent experience at Lilianfels Resort and Spa

I am disappointed to read that on this occasion we did not meet your expectation. We are known to provide great customer service, but did not deliver on this occasion. I hope you accept my apologies and we will get another chance to prove our great service to you.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

We stayed for one night to experience the blue mountains. The hotel is in a great location and you can walk to scenic world!
It is very old fashioned and a bit dated. The rooms are spacious but not our style. The extra beds we ordered were dirty. We requested interconnecting rooms but none were available. It said room with a view but there was now view. All you could see were the trees right in front of our window.
The breakfast is average, not too many choices, the service was slow but you have to pay extra for coffee and hot chocolate! Ridiculous!
The food in the restaurant is average and overpriced.
All in all the hotel feels a bit impersonal and the interior design was just not our style. It is way too expensive for what you get so we will not recommend it.

Room Tip: It is not worth to pay extra for a view.
2  Thank LondonSabi

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for reviewing your recent experience at Lilianfels Blue Mountains Resort and Spa

I am disappointed to read that on this occasion we failed in some areas to provide you with the service, and attention we are known for.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Expectations high, experience underwhelming. Hotel rooms are adequate without exceeding basic requirements for this class of hotel, that said the bathroom was great. Facilities like the indoor pool are wonderful and clean while the lounge area was huge and somewhat impersonal with what appeared non guests making use of the he facility. Somehow the hotel and staff just did not get us feeling like welcome guests. Wifi and parking required payment of $20 & $15 respectively, at that room rate these should be included.
The Echo' s a sister properties restaurant was in my opinion totally unacceptable, food was very average if not below par, priced ridiculously and clearly the chef must have been off duty ( Easter Sunday Dinner Service). Last night in comparison had a dinner in The Ivy at half the price that was truly exceptional. Liliansfel, a sad experience not to be repeated, even with a great location.

Room Tip: 2nd floor better for a possible view, but ask for canyon facing.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Marchant K

Dear Valued Guest,

I hope you accept my apologies, and rest assured all issues raised will be addressed with the relevant departments along with the Head Chef at our sister property, Echoes.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Lilianfels Resort has Always been my families' first choice for hotel stay.
The service is excellent with ALL amenities & services close at hand.
To say the least, Darleys Restaurant, on the premises is my most favourite restaurant, in
my opinion, it deserves more chef hats awards, for quality, presentation and flavour!
Keep up the fantastic work!

1  Thank Monty72
Ralf B, General Manager at Lilianfels Resort & Spa - Blue Mountains, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for reviewing your recent experience at Lilianfels Resort and Spa.

It’s a pleasure to read that you had a great experience, and enjoyed the Facilities and our team that looked after you, I hope to see you again soon at Lilianfels.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

This was my third visit and I left with very mixed emotions. The rooms and lounge areas are lovely, old style and makes you feel at home right away. The location couldn't be better, with just a short stroll to the Three Sisters and Echo Point.
A number of small things though, makes the overall rating drop.
Wifi is advertised as free, but only for 24 hours AND at a very low speed. After the 24 hours or if you want higher speed you have to pay more, which I did. During our two days stay I ran a number of speed tests and NOT ONCE was it even close to what I was paying for. Extremely irritating.
Breakfast service was not up to standard. Way too many empty plates on the buffé and very slow service. On top of that any speciality coffee is charged extra for.
We stayed with our two teenage daughters and paid full price for them as two adults in a separate room and they were charged for having hot chocolate instead of coffee or tea with their breakfast which is ridiculous.
We had opted for a package which included a three course dinner. The three course dinner menu costed $ 125 per person. However, only $ 110 was deducted when we checked out. I still find the "package deal" very misleading.
I'm sorry to say that I will probably not come back again.

2  Thank JaffaG

Dear Valued Guest,

I hope you accept my apologies, and rest assured all issues raised will be addressed with the relevant departments. On a side note we have since upgraded our entire WiFi network with a fibre connection to increase the speed across the hotel.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Our stay was for 2 nights, and I have to say that this hotel is lovely. From the moment you walk in, you feel welcome. Room was beautiful. Old world ambience and very clean. The lounge area and fireplaces were very welcome after enjoying the nearby walking tracks.
Just 2 gripes: Wifi is advertised as free BUT only for 24hrs, then you pay. Speciality coffee at breakfast is extra. Come on, after paying quite a bit for the hotel,
this is just petty! Would I recommend this hotel- totally!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Valued Guest,

It’s a pleasure to read that you had a great stay, and enjoyed the facilities and our team that looked after you. Thank you for your feedback regarding our WiFi and coffee which we are reviewing.

I hope we can welcome you back to Lilianfels in the near future.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

This was my 2nd visit having first stayed here in 2000 as a respite from backpacking. This time I needed a break over the weekend of a 2 week business trip to Australia. It is every bit is gorgeous as I remembered.

Lovely room, stunning views, fabulous food and really relaxed and helpful customer service. Just what I wanted. They looked after me very well indeed and I went back to Sydney and work feeling refreshed and revived.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for reviewing your recent experience at Lilianfels Resort and Spa.

We are pleased to hear that our staff were both welcoming and helpful and it’s a pleasure to read that you had a great experience, and enjoyed the Facilities, I hope to see you again soon at Lilianfels.

Group General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Katoomba
The Carrington Hotel
Mountain Heritage
Mountain Heritage
#6 of 15 in Katoomba
Palais Royale Boutique Hotel

Been to Lilianfels Resort & Spa - Blue Mountains? Share your experiences!