“Overcharge”

Best Western Alpine Motor Inn
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Katoomba
“Overcharge”
Reviewed 23 August 2012

This hotel was booked on an internet (no refund) basis. Two days after I hit the submit button, I received a phone call asking me to provide the 3 digit access code from the back of the debit card. I was told that without it, they would have to cancel the reservation. As this suited me, I did not provide the code, and hence understood the reservation to be cancelled. I followed this up with email confirmation.
On the day of intended checkout, my account was debited with the full rate. I challenged the hotel and they told me that as it was an internet booking, it could not be cancelled. So in effect, they have stolen money from my bank account.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jenny G
sbm1, Manager at Best Western Alpine Motor Inn, responded to this review, 30 August 2012
Dear Jenny G,
I am sorry to read of this problem but I am confused by your review as we do not require the 3 digit CSV code from our guests’ credit cards. I think you have placed this review for the wrong property. We have no record of an incident of this nature. Do get in touch if I can assist in any way
Mitch Bubalo
Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Good Motel, very warm and clean room’s.Profesional managers and staff in Motel and Restaurant. Restaurant décor and service one of the best. Hotel and Restaurant is own and managed by same family for last 18 years,
Congratulation

Room Tip: Good Value for Money if you take Bed and Breakfast combination
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
katalp, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Alpine Motor Inn, responded to this review, 18 August 2012
Dear Guest.
Thank you for your recent review. We strive extremely hard to insure that each and every guest to our Motel and Restaurant receive best service every time, value for their money. We value this information and do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. We hope to see you again.

Warm Regards
Pat
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Actually I would rate this as 3.5 stars - the room was very clean; the bed nicely made, firm and big (but a bit lumpy in the middle); the decor tasteful and well laid out; good bathroom size, shower, etc.; and with a reverse cycle air conditioner that worked well to keep the room nice and toasty throughout two very chilly nights. It would help to have a light in the middle of the room, and to provide the password for the free wifi at check-in, rather than only available upon request. The room got a bit of noise from the adjacent highway (though not annoyingly so), and from the bar fridge, which was old school and crackled whenever starting its cycle. Summing up, this motel is about two minutes out of town and looks a little dated at first glance, but delivered the goods, so I would stay here again. I felt safe, comfy, warm and slept well, which is what I was after.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side road, rather than the highway.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
katalp, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Alpine Motor Inn, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
Dear Valued Guest
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

Mitch Bubalo
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 9 August 2012

I may have given this hotel a higher rating except for the following two incidents (which left me wondering if they were isolated or a way of doing business):

1) Owner was a bit off-putting when we checked into the hotel. No big deal as I had not planned on interacting with him again. But, later, when I couldn’t connect to their internet, he seemed to have better things to do than assist me. I made several more attempts to connect before approaching him again for help. Once again, he tried to brush me off. This time, however, I persisted. Finally he stopped what he was doing long enough to listen to my problem. Then, he replied by blaming me. Really? No help? Just blame me? Wow! Ultimately, I figured out the problem on my own (which turned out to be THEIR password) after which I found the connection quite good.

2) One of the MAIN overhead lights in our room was broken and flickered continuously. It was so annoying, we had to turn it off, leave it off and work in the dark in that portion of the room. At check-out the next morning, we advised the woman at the front desk about the problem. To my surprise, I was told they already knew. You knew? If so, why not fix it?!!

Other than those 2 incidents, this hotel was a decent value for the price. Don’t let the somewhat rustic and plain exterior fool you. The room was very clean, nicely decorated and sufficient in space. The bed . . . oh the bed . . . what comfort!! The night we stayed was a chilly one and the electric blanket worked like a charm. Very nice!

We had dinner at adjoining restaurant which was convenient but rather pricey. Breakfast was continental-style and delivered to our room timely.

Although the problems we encountered tainted our overall opinion of this hotel's management, they were not so severe as to prevent us from staying here again. Besides, the comfortable bed alone might be reason enough!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank ceejotza
katalp, General Manager at Best Western Alpine Motor Inn, responded to this review, 10 August 2012
Dear Sir

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

Thank you again for taking the time to complete the survey.

George Bubalo
BEST WESTERN Alpine Motor Inn
Reviewed 29 July 2012

My friends and I had a weekend away in the gorgeous blue mountains. We were looking for accommodation close to katoomba and leura. This was our first time at alpines. We stayed in the newly refurbished rooms which were warm, comfortable and quiet. Although just off the highway it was surprisingly quiet! We will return.

Room Tip: Choose the queen rooms which have recently been renovated.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
katalp, Public Relations Manager at Best Western Alpine Motor Inn, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
Dear Karen, Thankyou for taking the time to review your stay on Tripadvisor.It is very pleasing to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and had such a fantastic night's sleep.
Thanks again, and we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit.
Kindest Regards
George
Reviewed 22 July 2012

My Husband and I had a great stay The accommodation is was great 3 or 4 minutes drive from the town centre therefor close to many restaurants, shops and all the facilities in Katoomba. The staff were lovely and very helpful. The room was very clean, warm with lots of space. Coffee and tea facilities and a fridge.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
katalp, Public Relations Manager at Best Western Alpine Motor Inn, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
I'd like to thank you for taking the time to post your review at Tripadvisor. It is very pleasing to read that you enjoy staying with us and have been pleased with our service. We aim to employ a great team of staff while providing clean and modern rooms with comfortable warm beds.
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 21 July 2012

We had a great stay in Katoomba and found the location very convenient to all the attractions in the area. The rooms were clean and the heating was a life saver. Libby at reception was exceptionally friendly and helpful and accommodated my family's needs. The only downside to the location is the noise from trucks at nights as they use their brakes on the hill.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
katalp, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Alpine Motor Inn, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
Dear Valued guest,
Thank you for completing Trip Advisor survey regarding your recent stay at our property. Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. We hope you will come back and see us again soon.
Kind Regards