“Lovely views, accommodating staff”

Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Katoomba
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We stayed here for 1 night for my brothers wedding which was also held at Echo's. Growing up in the mountains you don't often stay anywhere near where you live! Now we are interstate it was nice to visit as a 'tourist'.

This review is also for the food, but it was a wedding so I am not sure what the food would be like from the normal menu.

1) Food - brilliant, we are not the regular fine dining couple but many of the wedding guests I spoke to loved the food we were served. The brekky was brilliant and although on the expensive side, the location and service makes you forget the cost.

2) Location - living in the mountains for 20 years I have seen most of the sights and this location is arguably one of the best views on the southern side of the mountains, it can be enjoyed from many locations and depending on the season and weather it is beautiful.

3) Room - our room had a sensational outlook and outdoor seated area but it was a pity the weather was crap! We have stayed in nicer rooms for the same money and the bed was only just ok.

4) Bar - probably the most expensive drinks I have paid for, but again the view makes you sort of forget about the cost.

5) Staff - fantastic staff, not only for the wedding but everyone were accommodating, friendly, polite and professional. I don't want to upset anyone but the wedding planner and I didn't see eye to eye but my brother is too nice to say anything. That was probably the only downside to a great weekend we enjoyed together.

6) Function venue - if you are trying to impress a group of people it is lovely but not very big and limited for 'bad weather options' this is where we had to negotiate 1 hour prior to the wedding when the weather turned sour (it is the mountains after all) and with the help from the restaurant manager (I have forgotten her name, lovely French lady) we agreed on using part of the restaurant. This same lady was also able to arrange some canapés at short notice which were to die for! This is where the wedding planner and I did not see eye to eye, let's just say I don't argue but I look for alternate ways for a better outcome :-)

Conclusion:

Depending on your circumstances, enjoy this boutique venue for where it is and the staff, if the weather turns sour - make your own fun, enjoy the dining and relaxing atmosphere.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank leenazza
Ralf B, General Manager at Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

It’s a pleasure to read that you had a great stay, and enjoyed the facilities and our team that looked after you and your family for your brother's wedding

I hope we can welcome you back to Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant in the near future.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

If you are looking for a relaxing, romantic getaway, then you can't go past Echoes at Katoomba. Upon arrival, it was very welcoming, the staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was just beautiful. You could lie in bed looking out over the Jamison Valley, the view changing every few minutes, one minute you could see the whole valley, the next minute you couldn't see past the balcony from the fog and mist. We had complimentary chocolate dipped strawberries delivered not long after we arrived and this set the mood for the whole time we were there. We dined in the Restaurant, the service was brilliant, the setting perfect, the food wasn't the best we have ever had, but it wasn't bad either. We had breakfast delivered to our room each morning and it was very nice, a great way to start the day. Overall the experience was excellent, I would recommend it to anyone wanting a nice quiet, romantic get away.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Ralf B, General Manager at Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for reviewing your recent experience at Echoes Boutique Hotel and Restaurant.

It’s a pleasure to read that you had a great experience, and enjoyed the Facilities and our team that looked after you, I hope to see you again soon at Echoes.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

Perched upon the edge of Echo Point in Katoomba, the sweeping views of the Jamison Valley with Mount Solitary perfectly framed in the centre are the big drawcard at this beautiful boutique hotel in the Blue Mountains. The view changes with the time of day - with clouds gently resting on the rolling green valley, lifting as the morning sun warms the rock. The different light throughout the day highlighting different oranges, reds, pinks and yellows in stunning sandstone cliffs.

The hotel room was very comfortable, with a great bathroom with large walk-in shower. The pick of the rooms is downstairs on the corner and has a great balcony to sit outside and enjoy the sunset.

With access to both Echoes Restaurant and Darley's next door in Lillianfels, food choices are a plenty. (I don't appreciate being told I have to order two courses though, so this time we missed out on Echoes. I could have eaten one course but chose room service instead.)

We drove around to 'Scenic World' (the scenic railway etc), however realised we could have just walked down to the eastern side of the cable car, instead of driving.

I want to come back and enjoy sitting by the fireplace in winter...

Room Tip: Choose downstairs room on the corner - large balcony capturing all the views.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Ralf B, General Manager at Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

It’s a pleasure to read that you had a great experience, and enjoyed the Facilities and our team that looked after you, I hope to see you again soon at Echoes Hotel.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

Stunning views from our room!
Disappointingly though, old food and rotten banana left in a drawer in our room from previous guests. Room smelt very strongly of hospital strength disinfectant. I don't want to be reminded of a hospital when staying in a 4star hotel.
Echoes restaurant experience was very average for a 1 hatted rating. Service was good. Food was a really bland experience. We had the pork belly starter - son in law eggs were way too hard ,overcooked and tasteless. Duck for main - trying very hard to engage on textures but taste is really lacking!!! My husband had the lamb and this was very disappointing and again lacking in taste. The best thing on his plate were the two tiny vine tomatoes. Confit potatoes tasted strongly of fish which he does not eat but no description of this flavour was made on the menu. The piano player was the highlight of our restaurant experience.

1  Thank MandyWendt

Dear Valued Guest,

I am disappointed to read that on this occasion we did not meet your expectation. We are known to provide great customer service, and failed on this occasion. I hope you will accept my apologies and rest assured I will, together with my Food and Beverage Manager and Housekeeping team analyze what went wrong as at no point you should have had old food in draws or a smell of Hospital in your room. Most concerning is your statement on our food, as our restaurant is well known for its great food.

If you would like to discuss this matter further, please feel free to contact me on gm@escarpmentgroup.com.au

Reviewed 21 March 2014

Fantastic views off our bedroom balcony across the Jamison Valley. Friendly and efficient service at reception, bar and Echoes restaurant with good food and a great wine list. We also dined one night at Darley's Restaurant and that was spectacular with its old world charm in Lilianfels original homestead and a terrific menu/wine list. We spent four nights here for a special Wedding Anniversary and it was the perfect choice for us. The Blue Mountains are spectacular, with the Three Sisters and Echo pint on Echoes doorstep. Very worthy of visiting in the area is Leura village, Leura Mall, Leuralla with its nostalgia and the Everglades gardens with its magnificent art deco house. Further afield (for avid gardeners like ourselves) at about an hour's drive are Mount Tomah botanic gardens and several of the open gardens in the village of Mount Wilson. Well done to everyone at Echoes and Lilianfels who made our stay so pleasant.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

This restaurant was amazing! We ordered the soft shell crab and the chilli caramel pork belly...DELICIOUS! I could have had second servings of them. The mains were very flavourful, however, the side was a tad too salty to point where we couldn't eat it. The service was to perfection and we wil definately return.

Dear Valued Guest,

It’s a pleasure to read that you had a great experience, and enjoyed the Facilities and our team that looked after you. I am sorry to hear that your side dishes had too much salt. Please accept my apologies and I hope to see you again soon at Echoes.

gm@lilianfels.com.au

Reviewed 24 February 2014

We spent one night of our honeymoon here. Great service, wonderful views and fantastic breakfast with the best view in the hotel. Nothing was a problem for the staff, and the Art Deco decor was very befitting of the glamorous mountains oldy worldy feel. I would definitely stay here again. It was so close the three sisters walk.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Ralf B, General Manager at Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for reviewing your recent experience at Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant.

It’s a pleasure to read that you had a great experience, and enjoyed the Facilities and our team that looked after you, I am looking forward to welcome you back shortly.

gm@escarpmentgroup.com.au

Also consider these accommodations in or near Katoomba
The Carrington Hotel
Mountain Heritage
#5 of 15 in Katoomba
Palais Royale Blue Mountains
Lilianfels Resort & Spa - Blue Mountains

Been to Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!