“Splendid Hotel with Picture Perfect views”

Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Katoomba
Sydney, Australia
“Splendid Hotel with Picture Perfect views”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

This is a wonderfully relaxing place to stay overlooking the Blue Mountains. I particularly like to stay here in winter when the night sky is perfect to view all the stars and the fireplace in the restaurant is the perfect spot to relax with a port after experiencing the delicious food and views of the restaurant. The beds are extremely comfortable and the staff are very friendly. If you're looking for lovely romantic place to celebrate a special occasion, this is a great place to stay. It's sister hotel, situated close by is Lilianfels. I have stayed at both, but find Echoes to have the superior views and more intimate atmosphere. You can still enjoy the facilities at Lilianfels during your stay (high tea recommended!).

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Ralf B, General Manager at Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 31 December 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for reviewing your recent experience at Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant

It’s a pleasure to read that you had a great stay, and enjoyed the facilities along with the night sky and our team that looked after you.

I hope we can welcome you back to Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant in the near future.

Group General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

I went to Echoes Restaurant for my Aunties Birthday, there was 12 of us. The night started out great but went downhill. Where we were seated was very squishy and because of this, the service lacked what you would expect at a restaurant charging such high prices. We had to pass everything to the waiters and continuously had to ask for our water to be replenished (as the wait staff would only do half the table as the other half was a tad more difficult to get to due to the layout). The food was overpriced and nothing special, the dessert trio looked impressive however a big hair was found well cooked into a cake. When the bill was presented to the table they had overcharged us by $300. I could imagine this happening to a table who had a few drinks and them just paying the bill without checking. They apologised and fixed the bill for us. We went to pay mostly cash and a split payment on two credit cards only to be told that there would be a 1.5% charge of the TOTAL bill for each card (the bill was not cheap). This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard and have never experienced this at any other restaurant. Just beware and make sure you check your bill at the end.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank beauD1986
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for reviewing your recent dining experience at Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant

I am disappointed to read that on this occasion for your Aunties birthday we failed in some areas to provide you with the service, and attention we are known for.

I hope you accept my apologies, and rest assured all issues raised will be addressed with the relevant departments.

I hope I will see you again soon at Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

perfect location, nice room and staff were very accommodating. Darley's for a special Friday night dinner exceeded all our expectations. however being charged a fee to use our credit card upon check-out was a disappointing end to an otherwise wonderful 24 hrs

Dear Valued Guest,

It’s a pleasure to read that you had a great stay including your dining experience at Darley's Restaurant, and that you enjoyed the facilities and our team that looked after you.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

We booked for a one night stay that included the bed and breakfast package. When we checked in, we received an upgrade on our room which included a gorgeous view along a shared balcony. The facilities provided were excellent and the service was very accommodating and friendly. The hotel is a very short walk to Echo Point Lookout where you can also enjoy spectacular views of The Three Sisters. Breakfast was plentiful and we got to enjoy it out on the terrace along with the beautiful morning scenery. The only constructive criticism we suggest is the placement of the toilet paper roll in the bathroom. Other than that, we have very little to complain about and would recommend to our friends and family for any type of occasion.

Dear Valued Guest,

It’s a pleasure to read that you had a great stay, and enjoyed the facilities and our team that looked after you. Thank you for sharing your wonderful photo of the view.

Noosa, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

We booked this hotel on line ,which was recommended by a close friend, and it was fantastic....
It suited my wife and I in every regard....Interior design, location and service....
We shall return.....It is expensive but excellent value for money...

Room Tip: We were placed in a lower level Deluxe room ,which opened directly onto a beautifully landscaped ter...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank StephenTKidd
Dear Valued Guest,

It’s a pleasure to read that you had a great stay, and enjoyed the facilities and our team that looked after you and your wife.

I hope we can welcome you and your wife back to Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant in the near future.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

We chose this guesthouse for my birthday weekend as it is a wonderful location, and I heard the rooms had been refurbished recently. The rooms were lovely, with a lovely french feel and the views were spectacular.
Unfortunately, the bar and restaurant area are still as it was when built in the 90's...black marble and leather which is really not in keeping with the mountains guesthouse feel. The bar and fireplace area didn't open until 5.30pm, which was quite disappointing as the weather out side was appalling and sitting around a fire was exactly what I expected to be able to do.
We had dinner at Darley's restaurant (part of this hotel group), which was fantastic, possibly one of the best meals I've had. We expected that our breakfast the following day would be wonderful also, as it was quite expensive. What we got was very second rate...juices were not fresh, and a pretty average continental buffet. The cooked breakfast was made to order, but the bacon had obviously been cooked well in advance and kept warm...it was oily and really dried out and tough. The roasted tomatoes could have been the previous days leftovers. I had eggs benedict, and I think the hollandaise sauce was possibly from a bottle, so pretty disappointing.
Overall though, we had a great time as the rooms were so lovely and such wonderful views. But one last cross against this hotel...we paid $555 for bed and breakfast, then over $300 for dinner, they then charged a fee to use our credit card on checkout! I don't think I've ever been charged a fee for an upmarket hotel and restaurant before!
I would have to think twice about staying again as this hotel didn't feel generous...they didn't really offer anything other than a lovely room.

4 Thank Jen S
Dear Valued Guest,

I am disappointed to read that on this occasion we failed in some areas to provide you with the service, and attention we are known for. We do carry out soft refurbishments of the hotel every year and the bar area is scheduled to be completed at the end of 2014. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your dining experience at Darley's Restaurant though.

I hope I will see you again soon at Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

We had a deluxe view room (downstairs, opening onto courtyard) for four nights in June. Perfectly enjoyed the room, highlights include:

* Gorgeous views of the mountains from the comfort of the room or courtyard immediately outside
* Good design which made our room way more comfortable and cozy than its normal size should allow. Did not want to leave.
* The hotel is very well located. Walk through the neighbouring Llianfels and you're at the three sisters look out, walk the other way and you've got the walks and cablecar/railway walks in scenic world. In addition to the in-house restaurants, the delightful Pins on Lurline restaurant is a quick walk away. Katoomba town is about a 20 mins walk away.

Things to be aware of:
* On asking about how to get the free wifi during check in, the front desk staff member's reply implied that in-room wifi is free only for a single device having small usage such as for social networking, and that any additional usage would incur a charge. In reality, you actually get 1 gig of free data usage per day, and the quota appears to be sharable between multiple devices. Perhaps I should have pressed her for specifics but this misconception led me to unnecessarily rely on mobile data for the first couple of nights.
* In the downstairs Deluxe view room (Cox), mobile coverage is patchy at best. To get data I needed to have my phone right near the window with the thick curtains open. That's with the Optus network. I could not get a Telstra signal in the room at all. No issues with mobile reception outside of the room.

* The courtyard rooms lead on to their individual porches with a table and a couple of chairs (great views, as with your room), which then lead to a gorgeous common courtyard. The hotel was not fully occupied at the time so I only had a left neighbour, but the porches are quite close to each other and I'd imagine you wouldn't be able to ignore their presence if everyone were out in their porches. Likewise you'd need to close the curtains for privacy due to parts of the room being in the sightline of someone standing in the courtyard, even with the well placed plants in the way. For those seeking more privacy, the upper level rooms might be a better fit.

For the four days the hotel provided the perfect mountain escape from the world, would love to visit again.

Room Tip: For those seeking more privacy, the upper level rooms might be a better fit.
Dear Valued Guest,

It’s a pleasure to read that you had a great stay, and enjoyed the facilities and our team that looked after you. Thank you for your feedback regarding our WiFi and phone coverage, these are issues that we are reviewing so that they can be improved.

Group General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Katoomba
Mountain Heritage
Palais Royale Blue Mountains
The George Boutique Hotel
The George Boutique Hotel
#4 of 5 in Blackheath

Been to Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!