“Memorable Birthday”

Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Katoomba
“Memorable Birthday”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Last weekend I stayed at Echoes Boutique Hotel with my daughter for a girls weekend away and to celebrate her birthday.

We chose Echoes as we wanted the boutique, more personal experience than a larger hotel.

We were not disappointed and had a wonderful time.

Location – Echoes is just around the corner from Echo Point, so an easy stroll to view the Three Sisters. Lilianfels is situated next door and you are welcome to use all their facilities. You will need to book ahead for the Spa. My daughter had a fabulously rejuvenating massage which you could pay for at the time or charge back to your room.

Room – The Blaxland room had a lovely soft and simple décor, was spacious, clean and fresh with heated flooring (most appreciated in the month of July). The bathroom was a good size with a nice large shower and again, heated floor tiles and a variety of toiletries. There were tea and coffee making facilities with complimentary biscuits and a stocked bar fridge. The bath robes were clean but more importantly of a really good size. So many of them are tiny, but these were lovely and roomy.

View – This is what you are paying for… the view is breathtaking and you can sit in bed and look at it through your window, or sit on the balcony to look down on the landscaped garden or take in the fresh air and ever changing shadows and shapes that drift across the mountains. The balcony runs along the hotel and there are separations between the rooms, but you are able to see the other guests if they are sitting outside too. You are not on top of each other, but also you are not 100% private.

Staff - We found all staff members to be professional, but also genuinely warm, friendly and helpful. Several times my daughter was asked if she was enjoying her birthday which made her feel extra special. Great customer service! The staff had lots of smiles and eye contact to let you know they were available should you have any questions etc. Of particular note, Brian, Armandine and Robyn were terrific and helpful.

Restaurant& Bar
The bar opened at 6pm and the Restaurant at 7pm. It is a pity in winter that the bar area was not open earlier in the afternoon as the fireplace was lovely to sit around. Again we were greeted warmly into the bar area where we had a couple of cocktails at $25/each which in my opinion is overpriced, however sitting in the comfortable black lounge and starring into the rather funky fireplace helped make up for this. We were seated in the restaurant which had a nice ambience (and no doubt view if it was in summer time). The linen and cutlery were spotlessly clean and the waitress was chatty and helpful with our questions about the food.

The food was simply delicious, eagerly devoured (yet savoured) and thoroughly enjoyed. The female pianist who played in the bar area during dinner was terrific. I have not always been a fan of piano music over dinner, but she really was talented and added to the overall enjoyment. The only hiccup was that I had asked beforehand if they could pop a sparkler into my daughter’s desert for her birthday. They had made a note against our booking, but unfortunately this was not done.

As with all visits away, there are always a few negatives to note. For me they were the following:
The credit card surcharge feels a bit cheeky on top of an already sizeable bill
The awkward angle of the toilet roll could be a problem for some less dextrous.
The instant coffee in the rooms was unpalatable, however you were able to order plunger coffee from reception, so this may have been the best option. I just stuck with the tea, of which there was a decent variety.

There was no in-house movie channel, the only option was a DVD selection from reception. I found this to be a bit antiquated.

NONE of the above would sway my decision to stay at this beautiful hotel again and overall, it was a terrific weekend away in a super comfortable room with a fabulous view and attentive staff .

Next time I am bringing hubby for the romantic experience!

Room Tip: Blaxland is next to the corner room on the upper level, gives a fabulous view and is close to Recept...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank jennim438
Ralf B, General Manager at Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 31 December 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for reviewing your recent experience at Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant

It’s a pleasure to read that you had a great stay, and enjoyed the facilities and our team that looked after you and your daughter to make her birthday celebrations even more memorable

I hope we can welcome you back to Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant in the near future.

Group General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Reviewed 9 July 2014

This is a wonderfully relaxing place to stay overlooking the Blue Mountains. I particularly like to stay here in winter when the night sky is perfect to view all the stars and the fireplace in the restaurant is the perfect spot to relax with a port after experiencing the delicious food and views of the restaurant. The beds are extremely comfortable and the staff are very friendly. If you're looking for lovely romantic place to celebrate a special occasion, this is a great place to stay. It's sister hotel, situated close by is Lilianfels. I have stayed at both, but find Echoes to have the superior views and more intimate atmosphere. You can still enjoy the facilities at Lilianfels during your stay (high tea recommended!).

Dear Valued Guest,

It’s a pleasure to read that you had a great stay, and enjoyed the facilities along with the night sky and our team that looked after you.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I went to Echoes Restaurant for my Aunties Birthday, there was 12 of us. The night started out great but went downhill. Where we were seated was very squishy and because of this, the service lacked what you would expect at a restaurant charging such high prices. We had to pass everything to the waiters and continuously had to ask for our water to be replenished (as the wait staff would only do half the table as the other half was a tad more difficult to get to due to the layout). The food was overpriced and nothing special, the dessert trio looked impressive however a big hair was found well cooked into a cake. When the bill was presented to the table they had overcharged us by $300. I could imagine this happening to a table who had a few drinks and them just paying the bill without checking. They apologised and fixed the bill for us. We went to pay mostly cash and a split payment on two credit cards only to be told that there would be a 1.5% charge of the TOTAL bill for each card (the bill was not cheap). This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard and have never experienced this at any other restaurant. Just beware and make sure you check your bill at the end.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank beauD1986
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for reviewing your recent dining experience at Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant

I am disappointed to read that on this occasion for your Aunties birthday we failed in some areas to provide you with the service, and attention we are known for.

I hope you accept my apologies, and rest assured all issues raised will be addressed with the relevant departments.

I hope I will see you again soon at Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant

Reviewed 2 July 2014

perfect location, nice room and staff were very accommodating. Darley's for a special Friday night dinner exceeded all our expectations. however being charged a fee to use our credit card upon check-out was a disappointing end to an otherwise wonderful 24 hrs

Dear Valued Guest,

It’s a pleasure to read that you had a great stay including your dining experience at Darley's Restaurant, and that you enjoyed the facilities and our team that looked after you.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We booked for a one night stay that included the bed and breakfast package. When we checked in, we received an upgrade on our room which included a gorgeous view along a shared balcony. The facilities provided were excellent and the service was very accommodating and friendly. The hotel is a very short walk to Echo Point Lookout where you can also enjoy spectacular views of The Three Sisters. Breakfast was plentiful and we got to enjoy it out on the terrace along with the beautiful morning scenery. The only constructive criticism we suggest is the placement of the toilet paper roll in the bathroom. Other than that, we have very little to complain about and would recommend to our friends and family for any type of occasion.

Dear Valued Guest,

It’s a pleasure to read that you had a great stay, and enjoyed the facilities and our team that looked after you. Thank you for sharing your wonderful photo of the view.

Noosa, Australia
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We booked this hotel on line ,which was recommended by a close friend, and it was fantastic....
It suited my wife and I in every regard....Interior design, location and service....
We shall return.....It is expensive but excellent value for money...

Room Tip: We were placed in a lower level Deluxe room ,which opened directly onto a beautifully landscaped ter...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank StephenTKidd
Dear Valued Guest,

It’s a pleasure to read that you had a great stay, and enjoyed the facilities and our team that looked after you and your wife.

I hope we can welcome you and your wife back to Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant in the near future.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We chose this guesthouse for my birthday weekend as it is a wonderful location, and I heard the rooms had been refurbished recently. The rooms were lovely, with a lovely french feel and the views were spectacular.
Unfortunately, the bar and restaurant area are still as it was when built in the 90's...black marble and leather which is really not in keeping with the mountains guesthouse feel. The bar and fireplace area didn't open until 5.30pm, which was quite disappointing as the weather out side was appalling and sitting around a fire was exactly what I expected to be able to do.
We had dinner at Darley's restaurant (part of this hotel group), which was fantastic, possibly one of the best meals I've had. We expected that our breakfast the following day would be wonderful also, as it was quite expensive. What we got was very second rate...juices were not fresh, and a pretty average continental buffet. The cooked breakfast was made to order, but the bacon had obviously been cooked well in advance and kept warm...it was oily and really dried out and tough. The roasted tomatoes could have been the previous days leftovers. I had eggs benedict, and I think the hollandaise sauce was possibly from a bottle, so pretty disappointing.
Overall though, we had a great time as the rooms were so lovely and such wonderful views. But one last cross against this hotel...we paid $555 for bed and breakfast, then over $300 for dinner, they then charged a fee to use our credit card on checkout! I don't think I've ever been charged a fee for an upmarket hotel and restaurant before!
I would have to think twice about staying again as this hotel didn't feel generous...they didn't really offer anything other than a lovely room.

4 Thank Jen S
Dear Valued Guest,

I am disappointed to read that on this occasion we failed in some areas to provide you with the service, and attention we are known for. We do carry out soft refurbishments of the hotel every year and the bar area is scheduled to be completed at the end of 2014. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your dining experience at Darley's Restaurant though.

I hope I will see you again soon at Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant

Group General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Katoomba
The Carrington Hotel
Palais Royale Blue Mountains
The George Boutique Hotel
The George Boutique Hotel
#3 of 5 in Blackheath

Been to Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!