Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant
The Carrington Hotel(Katoomba)(Great Value!)
US$169
US$99
No. 14 Lovel St(Katoomba)(Great Value!)
US$55
US$52
Blue Mountains Heritage Motel(Katoomba)(Great Value!)
US$70
US$66
US$58
Katoomba Town Centre(Katoomba)(Great Value!)
US$73
US$71
Sky Rider Motor Inn(Katoomba)(Great Value!)
US$76
US$70
Priceline
3 Sisters Motel(Katoomba)(Great Value!)
US$82
US$79
Priceline
Blue Mountains YHA(Katoomba)(Great Value!)
US$67
US$64
Agoda.com
  • Free Internet
US$150
US$249
US$228
Agoda.com
All reviewscorner viewjamison valleyblue mountainsdeluxe view roomsister hoteluninterrupted viewssmall hotelthe cliffromantic getawaythree sistersecho pointscenic worldcomfortable roomcontinental breakfastoutdoor poolbalconyescarpment
Sydney
Reviewed 31 January 2006

It's not often you have great expectations and everyone of them is shattered within a mere hour!

This hotel charges steep prices and delivers an Ikea - Copper Art experience. It would appear that everything is done as cheaply as possible, including the instant tea and coffee selection. The rooms had lovely views but were definetly lacking in style and taste for the hefty price tag of nearly AUS $1000 per night. For these prices I expected a little more than cheap furniture, sponged walls and cheap paintings and light fixatures!

The restaurant was another huge disappointment, we didn't bother finishing our main meals as they were barely edible. We ended up leaving and having dinner in town. When we tried to report our dissatisfaction with our meals we were met with some hostility and were charged for three courses each when we only ate less then half of our entrees and mains!

I only wish I had have read the previous reviews as I would not have eaten here and will definetly not dine or stay here for these prices again. Not when Lillianfiel offers such better value and service and is right next door! Poor show Echoes!

• Stayed: January 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
sydney
Reviewed 4 January 2006

It would appear that the hotel has not only changed it's appearance but has also lost it's character, and charm along with it's ability to provide good service and wonderful food.

If anything the food was worse than some I have recently sampled on a long haul flight with the atmosphere and service to match.

I'm not too sure where the chef trained but the standard of food and the produce used was not worth the price being charged. The steaks were over cooked, the entree of prawns with daikon and ginger resembled sushi train gone wrong, too over powering for the three tiny little rubbery prawns that were hidden amongst the offending radish which seemed to swim in unrefined mirin. There was certainly less fusion and more confusion in the flavours used. The quail was unbearably salty leaving the palate parched and somewhat slimey from the aftermath of soy. The salt encrusted fish was exactly that fish smothered in salt!

The new lighting although rather modern left little in the way of romantic ambience and the down lights gave off such an intense heat that I felt as if I were baking in the open sun. As the lights dimmed outside and the sunset the intensity of the lighting only increased making you feel as if you were sitting under a spot light.

This restaurant does not live up to it's past and quite definitely does not deserve a chef hats as it previously has had in the past. Unless some radical changes are made it certainly does not warrant a return in the near future when there are so many well deserving restuarants in the area.

• Stayed: December 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
sydney
Reviewed 3 January 2006

The food was probably the biggest disappointment after my previous experiences some years ago at this hotel. I was very much looking forward to returning to Echoes for a romantic get away which turned out to be an unrewarding and less than ambient experience.

The waiters were nice and appeared to try hard to please but were a little inexperienced.

The food was a disaster. The quail was so salty it appeared to have been dowsed in soy sauce and left to steep for several days. The was no resemblance of any original or delicate flavour from the bird itself. My partners entree was no better in that the smoked speck resembled an under cooked slice of pig fat with little meat and less flavour. The flaffel cake was so salty it was not edible and the sauce had been reduced to a salty and over powering sticky mess.

With much trepidation we awaited our mains which took over an hour to arrive. The fish was edible although completely flavourless and could possibly have been frozen. The chicken with burnt orange and harrisa more closley resembled over cooked chicken covered in marmalade with a side dish of couscous with some cumin seed mixed through. The cauliflower pakora was blended with so much flour and possibly potato that it tasted like a flour croquette.

This is not what I expected after previous experiences at this restaurant. The new look, decor and new owners have not lived up to the prvious quality I had come to expect. I would not chose to dine or stay here again for the money.

• Stayed: January 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 22 March 2005

One of the best places we stayed on our entire vacation. The rooms were very clean, beautiful and so comfortable. The food was delicious, and enjoyed in a wonderful setting overlooking the valley (amazing views). A unique place to stay with exemplary service by friendly / helpful staff. Highly recommended!

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 9 December 2004

We selected Echoes for a brief retreat from Sydney because the rooms offered a spectacular view and a balcony...features not available next door at the famous Lilianfels. We did get the view and balcony, but sadly it was all down hill from there. The first room was a very small and meanly designed arrangment which shared a communal balcony with every other room. For an extra $100 per night we upgraded to a larger corner room. It also had the communal balcony, but at least offered a little more privacy. Touches like the faux Victorian antiques mixed with cheap Ikea style modern furniture and plastic flowers give the game away. The bathrooms are cramped 80's motel design and the only coffee in the mini bar was instant! This hotel is either struggling or simply lacks any sense of taste and style.

We had hoped that the restaurant would make up for the poor standards in the room, but alas it was very evident why they have lost their "one hat" status rating in the all important "Sydney Morning Herald Good Food Guide". It appears that a team of French chefs were responsible for this brief rating in the 2003 guide, but they are now long gone and the standards and the "hat" have also gone with them.

After three attempts to order a bottle from the wine list and being informed each time that my choice was not in stock, I reverted to a basic wine by the glass option. The wines that were "out of stock" are all readily available elsewhere, so I can only assume they must be gone with the French...how difficult would it be to up-date a wine list? The meal was okay and I suspect that a chef who understudied the French couple may still be doing his best with formula dishes. At the end of the meal I attempted to order the only premium Australian port, only to be told that was also not available. We gave up and went to bed.

I could go on about the breakfast, but I think you get the message. This is not a hotel worthy of it's previous reputation or the high prices it continues to charge. If you are looking for an experience of style and quality, you will not find it at Echoes.

• Stayed: November 2004