“Beautiful Hotel Stay!”

The Carrington Hotel
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Katoomba
Reviewed 24 June 2013

My partner and I stayed here mid-week just for one night. We were soo impressed with how beautiful the building was! It felt like we were staying in a mansion back in the 1800's. We staying in a double room with a shared bathroom down the hall as we didnt want to spend too much money. It was fine, there werent many people staying there and it was spotless so we didnt mind using shared bathrooms. The separate living rooms near the bar with open fire places were so warm and cosey and the cocktails were delicious! However probably the only downside was that no one in the bar knew how to make any of the cocktails and we waited about 20mins for 1 drink which was frustrating. The bar service could definately be improved. Other than that the place was lovely and I would definately stay again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 June 2013

Stayed overnight in one of the "Traditional" rooms with shared bathroom. Room was simply-furnished, large, clean and pleasant, and warm on a cold Katoomba night. "Gentlemen's Bathrooms" were of an elegant era, even though basic by modern standards. The Continental breakfast was generous, with a good variety of well-prepared and well-presented options, and the common rooms were all warm, welcoming, spacious and comfortable. Without exception the staff were friendly and courteous. I'd have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Peter G
Reviewed 4 June 2013

My partner and I booked a weekend away for our anniversary in June and stayed in the Lady Carrington Suite. The weekend started fine - we were greeted by friendly staff and given a run down of the best places to eat and given directions to the suite. We decided to order a coffee before heading out and service was extremely slow considering how simple our order was. The room itself is not too bad; nice and clean and the corner spa was not a let down. But then the wedding downstairs began and the couple's choice in heavy bass music meant we were kept awake until quite late. When we complained about the noise the receptionist could not care less and said we had one of the best rooms, what more did we want and to put up with the noise. Rude service is an absolute mood killer for me and when I as finally able to fall asleep I still woke up being annoyed. We booked the hotel back in January and were never informed there would be a wedding, and we would be disturbed and not have access to dinning facilities due to the wedding.

We headed downstairs for breakfast and were greeted by a friendly staff member and also extremely dirty plates. After going through the pile of "clean" plates to eat breakfast from we decided we'd had enough and hightailed it back to Sydney. I should say that when we complained again about the bad service and dirty plates, the hotel bill was reduced by $50. I'd still never go back.

Room Tip: Don't go there during a wedding
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MissMJG
Reviewed 29 May 2013

The bath was chipped and cracked with rust stains and a perished rubber bath mat. The hand basin was in a similar dilapidated state. The electric blanket on the other side of the bed didn’t work, the pillows were so flat that even with all four supplied I still awoke with a wry neck.Every movement and sound from rooms adjacent and above echoed in my room. On my last morning I was woken by hammering and drilling at 7am.On my arrival I was looking forward to sinking into a comfy chair with a glass of wine and my book in front of the raging log fire in cosy guest lounge. However there was insufficient staff to remove the glasses and plates that kept piling on tables over two hours, let alone tend the fire. In order to read I had to use the light on my phone.Despite the hotel being booked out, there was no food served after 4pm. After the lack of dinner the previous night, I was looking forward to a couple of eggs for breakfast but hot food was not included in the $220 nightly rate. On checking out, as I was paying for the extras (including $34 for a $10 bottle of wine) via EFTPOS I was obviously too slow putting in my pin number because the receptionist said, “Haven’t you finished yet?” If you have a disability, forget the Carrington. There are no disabled parking spaces but if there were, you would not be able to negotiate the numerous steps to the hotel. And even if you did manage to get in, you would be foiled by the lift that demands you open the door within 30 seconds otherwise it closes and you have to start again. The glass fire doors that are so heavy they can only be opened by firemen. I was booked into a “Colonial Room” which means it is a relic of colonial times. Peeling paint, cracked porcelain and the generally shoddy condition of this establishment are not quaint and quirky. They are shabby, not chic, and this place is long overdue for a refurbishment.

Room Tip: Don't choose a Colonial Room. No disabled facilities
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
7  Thank Patricia F
Reviewed 28 May 2013

This is my first review on Trip Advisor but my stay at the Carrington Hotel was so disappointing I wanted to share my experience, reading the current reviews on Trip advisor I was amazed with the very good/excellent reviews it has received, it seems like an entirely different hotel.
The exterior of the building is beautiful and retains character and charm however once you step inside the charm soon disappears, there was no heat in the entire hotel, we spent our time wearing our jackets, with no advance notification from the hotel prior or during check in.
The atmosphere was not pleasant many of the staff where not very friendly and it appeared to be an inconvenience to bother them.
The rooms are over priced and outdated, I found that when the made up the room the next day it was to a very low standard and many corners were skipped. Although when I met the housekeeping staff they were very friendly and had no problem providing us with extra linen.
Overall I was glad to check out at 9am and I will not be back.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank CRaff_1984
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We were not expecting much from the traditional room ( shared bathroom), and were delighted at the spacious, simply decorated room. The shared bathroom/ toilet facilities were charming, they were very spacious and clean. There were hair dryers and ironing board for guest as well, it was an interesting experience for us. We never met anyone else in the bathroom throughout the 2 days we were there. It's not for everyone I suppose but we didn't mind that, bring your own dressing gown so its more convenient to use these facilities at night.
All the public spaces oozes yesteryear charms. The open fireplace in the public sitting room in the evening were mellow and it was lovely to sit by in the evening with a glass of wine.
The buffet continental breakfast were delicious with lots of fruit, cereals, breads and pastries to choose from.
The front desk is no more than professional in their dealing with us.

Room Tip: Try to avoid room opening into courtyard.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EuniceTen
Reviewed 26 May 2013

My husband suprised me with a night away at the blue mountains and we stayed at the very beautiful Carrington Hotel. The hotel is magical. Both outside and inside the hotel you feel you are back 100 years in a magical place. The staff were very friendly and all seemed to know about the hotel, happy to share the history.
We stayed in a premier spa room with gorgeous views of the blue mountains. I really enjoyed the room, such character, and so much better than a sterile modern hotel room. We had a massive bed, beautiful furniture in the room and big bathroom.
We had dinner at the restaurant, the grand dining room. It is truly out of this world, food was lovely, staff attentive yet not intrusive and the atmosphere amazing. We had a proposal at the table next to us which also put a buzz to the restaurant.
If you are looking for a relaxing experience in the blue mountains this is a fabulous place to do it.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Katoomba
Mountain Heritage
Mountain Heritage
#7 of 15 in Katoomba
Hydro Majestic Blue Mountains
Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant
Parklands Country Gardens and Lodges
Palais Royale Boutique Hotel
Lilianfels Resort & Spa - Blue Mountains

Been to The Carrington Hotel? Share your experiences!