“Just not great”

The Carrington Hotel
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Katoomba
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I booked through a 3rd party website - the rate for the room received was quite high. Staying on a week day the hotel seemed to be at low occupancy but my room overlooked the tin roof of the building in front. There is no cooling in the room so it is quite stuffy - only heating which really was not needed due to the stuffiness of the room - a ceiling fan would be a good touch. The bathroom - this is where it was the worst - there was hair in the bath tub and also on the sink from the previous occupant! Not great and quite disgusting. Bathrooms are to have the illusion that they have never been used before you - they should be spotless this was not. The walls are very thin so you can hear anyone walking past the door of the room and also above you (or what seemed to be about you) and the windows bang when there is a bit of wind so I had to stick cardboard in the window to stop it banging. The sheets are scratchy and just not all that comfortable. All in all it was to be a get away night of relaxing and it really was just a poor experience. The hotel is old - in saying that it does have some lovely charms in the lobby and restaurant area which I think they need to move up into the rooms.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank EmontheRun
Write a ReviewReviews (1,010)

Reviewed 29 July 2013

We just came back from Christmas in July and while the hotel itself has an amazing atmosphere, the food that evening was terrible and the service was pretty average. Dinner only included one complimentary drink which for the price was pretty outrageous. The whole experience definitely wasn't value for money. Of course the hotel itself has so much history and really is beautiful but we had 'issues' with our room. Every time we had a shower the whole floor flooded with water due to a sloping floor and the cupboard under the TV had a door that wouldn't shut so it blocked the pathway from one side of the bed to the bathroom. I'm not particularly fussy when it comes to hotels and I wouldn't normally mind these things if we weren't paying so much for the room. It's definitely worth seeing the Carrington if you are ever in Katoomba but perhaps just drop in for a drink or a coffee instead and soak up the atmosphere that way (unless you can get a good deal on the room). I definitely wouldn't bother with Christmas in July there!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2013

My friends and I had heard so much about the 'Christmas in July' at the Carrington Hotel so a small group of us travelled up into the mountains this year to join the couple of hundred people wanting to join in the experience. The venue of course was first class and the entertainment adding to the very Chrismass'y atmosphere but we were to be sadly disappointed with the service and the food which failed dismally to match the tantalising menu. We collectively agreed that for the cost the value was not there and next year we will find something closer to home.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Sally P
Reviewed 15 July 2013

A large group of friends shared lunch in the Grand Ball Room especially booked for the occasion. Coffee (not included in price) in the foyer prior to lunch was a bit awkward as there was only one waitress to do coffees and drinks. Lunch was a really lovely set menu with coffee to follow. The christmas pudding was light and delicious. It's a pleasure to eat in an oldy worldly setting with the opportunity to move around and inspect the former "high tea" cabinet. Nice to hear soft live piano playing in the background. Would recommend this restaurant to large groups. It is only 5 mins walk from Katoomba railway station so travel by train from Sydney or suburbs is the best way to arrive.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Needed a short break away from Sydney so decided a night up in the Blue Mountains would fit the bill and booked into the Carrington Hotel.Have had drinks here before but have never stayed, so glad we did, from the moment we walked in we could tell it was going to be a nice stay, the lady on reception was lovely and told us everything we needed to know, booked a colonial room which was nice and big and had a newly renovated bathroom.Had drinks by the fire place in a nice lounge area before heading out for a nice dinner at one of the local restaurants before coming back and having a night cap by the fire.Continental breakfast was included in the rate which was more than adequate with plenty of cereals, fresh fruits, breads , pastries, ham and cheese.
All in all it was a very pleasant stay in a lovely old wordly place, very comfortable and could not fault the staff, the lovely lady was on reception again when we were checking out.
Would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Craig V
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Beautiful old historical hotel - fabulous location right on the Main Street of Katoomba - walk to shops, cafes, bars and restaurants. Unfortunately it was pouring with rain when I arrived early evening - travelling alone and nobody was available to help me carry up my luggage - was told that service is not offered - steps up and stairs to negotiate. Room was very cold and did not heat - had to ask for heater - room did warm up but could not sleep due to banging pipes - air in the water pipes. Upon waking toilet did not flush. Did complain and have to say I was moved to a room upgrade - this room was fabulous - king size bed, great heating, quiet - enjoyed my stay after the rocky start. Felt very comfortable on my own for meals and sitting by the fireplace. Take note the restaurant is not open every night so one has to go out onto the street to find a meal - no room service either. Continental breakfast is included which is very adequate. Because of the uniqueness of the hotel and so much historical ambience I would stay again but would book with the hotel directly and make sure the room would be one of the warm ones and quiet.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with good heating if you stay in winter.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Sally G
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I have stayed at The Carrington for the Winter Magic festival and The Ball that night many times. We usually book the following year as we check out. Not this time. Unfortunately I feel that things are sliding at this hotel, and I say this very sadly. Following the check in details they send you and make you print out and carry with you, sadly does not help you. When we could not even reach the hotel and called the reception staff for help, we were very rudely spoken too, told we should have booked for more than one night and told to go away for 3 hours. I must add that we were not the only people in the line that got this response, and it was only the Female Receptionist, when later we dealt with a Male he was very nice and helpful. This is the second year a Female receptionist has been rude to us, the first time I dismissed it though. The Hotel runs a Ball each year, usually complimentary to the Winter Magic theme, and in all previous years I have found the effort they make to be great. No longer. This year the Hotel was not decorated, the Fireworks were running so late that anyone attending the Ball could not watch them as you had to be getting ready. The Ballroom was not decorated either and the so called MC was some old guy who read from a book, boring. The meals are usually a delight, both visual and edible, that also has disappeared. All at our table were left hungry at the end of the night and wondering where Macca's was. Breakfast was nice though, and everyone was hungry! I feel perhaps that The Carrington is relying too much on its reputation and no longer feels it has to try to keep their guests happy, figuring they will still come for the festival anyway. Guess what guys, you may just be disappointed about that. So sad.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Katoomba
Mountain Heritage
Mountain Heritage
#6 of 15 in Katoomba
Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant
Hydro Majestic Blue Mountains
Parklands Country Gardens and Lodges
Palais Royale Boutique Hotel
Lilianfels Resort & Spa - Blue Mountains

Been to The Carrington Hotel? Share your experiences!