“classic hotel”

Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Katoomba
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
“classic hotel”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

this is a beautiful old hotel with some great features situated in the middle of Katoomba village

we had a suite that overlooked the front entrance to the hotel and the village. there was a nice balcony but it was shared by 3 other rooms (runs the full length of the three rooms)

The only 'down side' I could see was that there is no air conditioning and could get really hot in the high temperatures.

There is a fan in the room that might be adequate.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rivercross

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Kurrajong, Australia
Reviewed 18 November 2013

This old building has been lovingly restored/maintained and retains the characteristics of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. There are some beautiful pieces of furniture in both the public and private areas.
The private lounge areas (Billiards Room and Library) provide relaxing areas for guests, away from the busier public areas. Food from the bar was delivered to the Billiards Room throughout the day. This was much appreciated as the weather was appalling and it was very good to have no need to venture out into the cold, rain and wind!
We were unable to eat in the Grand Dining Room as it is not open every night and was in use for a wedding on the Saturday night of our stay. The continental breakfast was included but was rather mediocre, my husband had the full cooked breakfast and that was amazing!
We were fortunate enough to be upgraded to the Tomah Suite which was extremely comfortable with its separate lounge room. The only drawback was the shower which was over the spa bath, the bath was so shaped for sitting that footing was somewhat precarious. Being anachronisms ourselves, we were disappointed that while there was up to date TV facilities there was no access to radio so we were not able to listen to classical music. We could not do this via the internet either as the area had been hit by severe storms and the computer facilities were unavailable for the first of our 2 days.
We treated ourselves to massages etc at the Renaissance Spa, this took place in a special room for couples, complete with spa baths. We can highly recommend the spa.
This was a special treat for our 40th wedding anniversary and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I did actually enjoy staying here for two nights, but have rated it average because it didn't quite give me the grand experience that I was expecting. Staff were very helpful, but there seemed to be too few of them. This may have been because I stayed there just after bushfires affected other parts of the Blue Mountains (but not Katoomba), and people were staying away. Most tourism businesses in the mountains were operating on skeleton staff because of the downturn in trade, and this May also have been the case with The Carrington as there were few people staying there at the time.

The Carrington is certainly contained in a magnificent building, which has a grand stairway leading to its foyer. My room was large and quite comfortable. The bed was certainly good to sleep in, but the shower was disappointing because it didn't quite wet me properly. Architecturally, the hotel is a mish mash of styles, stemming from its origins in the 1880s and refurbishments during the Art Deco period, and again in The 1990s. The public rooms downstairs were all large and comfortable, and the Billiard Room would have been a marvellous place in the hotel's heyday.

Breakfast in the formal dining room was good, continental breakfast was included in the tariff, and there was a good selection. Wi Fi is also included, but this was intermittent and unreliable. I found this strange given that the hotel was almost empty, so over use by guests couldn't have been an issue.

Location is excellent, and you can get good views of the mountains, at least I did from my room.

They still have the original elevator servicing the floors. It's a rickety, slow old thing which doesn't give you too long to enter it, particularly if you have luggage, but using the elevator did take me back to the days when elevators had drivers, so I did enjoy the contraption.

I was pleased to stay there for the experience of being in a former Grand Old Hotel, but now that I've stayed there, I would try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 11 October 2013

It has not been my most luxurious stay ever but it will hit my top 10 of memorable stays.
The rooms are decorated in a classic style as is the whole hotel; the bathroom is quite old style too (and cold) but that belongs to the total experience.
Also having a power plant to facilitate the hotel back in the 19th century is quite amazing.
The hotel is beautifully restored and a fine place to stay.
If you want to explore the Blue Mountains for a weekend and are looking for a place to stay; look no further and be aware it will be more special than that you would feel spoiled; because I do not think the hotel is capable of the latter.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I have stayed a few times at this magnificent Victorian Hotel situated at the highest point of the town's main street. It's beautiful traditional rooms and accommodation are first class; food & staff excellent. In fact first I stayed there for part of my honeymoon, many years ago. The Blue Mountains, which it serves, are stupendous.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gregory L
New South Wales
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We choose to stay in a Colonial room to experience the beautiful stain glass bay windows and orignal bath rooms and fittings and glad we did, The bath and shower are very generous but the size of the shower rose meant it was hard to actually stand under it due to the size and volume of water flowing out. The original furniture is a joy to see. Rooms are fully heated as are the general floors where you can hang out on the internal landings and lounge when not in your room. Booking online gets you a further discount on the room cost, worth the savings. The continential breakfast is very generous and most enjoyable espeically in the Grand Dining Room, we also made use of the bar and its great cocktail selection.

Dont forget to ride the lift its the oldest operating lift in Australia.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank bisbeeblue
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 1 October 2013

My wife and I stayed at Hotel Carrington for a night with our three children (aged 9, 7 and 4). We stayed in Room 14, which is a Colonial Room on first floor. The bathroom has been recently renovated (shower only, no bath). The room has a large bay stained glass window (no view). Our room had a king bed, king single and a roll away. Overall, very comfortable. We will stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Katoomba
Mountain Heritage
Mountain Heritage
#5 of 15 in Katoomba
Parklands Country Gardens and Lodges
Palais Royale Blue Mountains
Hydro Majestic Blue Mountains
Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant
Lilianfels Resort & Spa - Blue Mountains

Been to The Carrington Hotel? Share your experiences!