“Excellent service, clean and tidy room, excellent value for money”

Katoomba Town Centre
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Katoomba
Reviewed 1 December 2012

Just wanted to say thanks for a great experience. I had to leave early due to circumstances and unfortunately believe that there was excessive noise afterwards for which I'm sorry and apologise. Had I still been there this wouldn't have occurred.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 November 2012

Travelled with my partner last weekend, thanks to a last minute deal; $127 for a large family room (queen bed + single) including breakfast and parking.
The hotel has a perfect location; less than a 10' walk to the train station, close to the main restaurants, 20' walk to scenic world, 5' to Coles.. and there's an Aldi just walking across :)
The service was really good; a very welcoming host who would give you all the info you need.
The room was super comfy and clean; not noisy at all, and spacious.
The breakfast was pretty average, buffet style.. just some canned fruits, milk and instant coffee, hot food (but didn't look very fresh), we were expecting something a little bit better (tastier?) but it was fine anyway.

Overall, great place to stay..! :)

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2012

The buffet breakfast was great, car park was a bit too cosy , there were hairs in the bathtub which makes me wonder how well the room had been cleaned,the beds were pretty comfortable, the amount of light that came through around the door jamb was a bit of a worry

Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Zena S
Reviewed 9 November 2012

Apartment had not been cleaned or beds made when we arrived there about 5-6pm. Went out while this was being done. Came back very tired around 8.30 or 9 pm. Was about to step into bathtub to find hairs of previous occupant, also hair in sink and all over bathroom floor...carpets had not been vacuumed. Beds were made up and very clean. Buffet breakfast was good. When I complained when checking out the owner was very rude and never apologized even after I produced a bag with hair and dirt wiped from bathroom floor. She said she could do nothing about it. Could not recommend because of this. We moved to the Carrington and paid a few dollars more for 4 star accommodation and stayed another night.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank Jager202
Reviewed 25 October 2012

Best assets here - receptionist Hillary - what a gem! Professional, very friendly, eager to help, Actually she took the initiative to help me when we had accidentally locked ourselves out late at night - thanks, Hillary!

Liz in the breakfast room, also very friendly! The breakfast is generous and usually included in the tariff. This is a real bonus. Some filtered coffee would be better than the instant coffee offered.

The motel has an arrangement with the Blue Mountains Bus Company Trolley Tours, and this was such a hoot! Included in our particular 2 night deal were tickets to ride this fun&friendly hop on/off bus, with drivers that pay a personal interest in what you wish to see, and advise you accordingly, it was kind of like a personalised tour, they were so helpful&attentive! (Special thanks to Dave&Pat - our drivers.) Plus the day-pass the tour company issued was actually valid for 2 days.

This mid-week motel, breakfast&tour was very good value&I recommend it.

The motel is quite 70's, but comfortable; we only needed a warm room&comfy bed, and this it was. The walls are perhaps a little thin&we could hear our neighbours showering etc, but perhaps you could request an upstairs room if this is a problem. There is no noise at all from the street. Also it is possible to walk to the motel from the Katoomba train station and you can even walk to the 3 Sisters, in about 15 minutes. My son&i walked from the hotel to the Sisters in the dark to see them under floodlights (very pretty), and we felt very safe. Use Lurline St, it's flatter.

Now to a genuine gripe tha I feel needs to be addressed. The online booking system informed me I would pay one night's tariff as a deposit (no probs), and 1.5% credit card surcharge on that (ok). The rest needed to be paid in cash at check-in, so far so good. However when I received the confirm email, only $50 had been taken as a deposit, meaning more cash required. This was still no problem, but i also noticed i had been slugged a $3.81 CC surcharge, on a payment of $50. The charge had been automatically generated on the WHOLE tariff. Hmm. I rang the hotel, but was brushed off by a man who sounded in a hurry. I decided to leave it til we arrived.

I was checked-in by a man who made lots of excuses and wasn't going to adjust the tariff. I didnt mind paying a $3.81 CC surcharge, so long as i could actually pay the whole lot on my CCard, otherwise it should have been only a 75cent fee. But he would not allow this, and after 5 minutes debating it, I gave in. It was only an extra $3, after all, and I was supposed to be on holiday.

Yet this was an illegal charge&somewhat shabby treatment. I hope you have fixed this glitch since i brought it to your attention, because if this happened to only a few customers every day, that would be $100s of illegal CC surcharge every month, and you will be reported. I was trying to do you a favour.

But, as i wrote earlier, this was otherwise good value, and we enjoyed our 2 nights in Katoomba&surrounds. I would stay here again, especially with the mid-week offer.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank D M
Reviewed 18 October 2012

My wife and I stayed here on a mid week package deal and had no complaints at all with the motel. The room we had included a king bed and the breakfast was excellent. The feel of this motel is like a B&B and you meet so many nice people coming and going.
I would have no hesitations in recommending this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: We had a room facing the street and did not have any issue with cars or truck noises. The only tip...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2012

We really really enjoyed staying at the Katoomba Town Centre, the staff we so friendly, we enjoyed playing games in the games room while waiting for our laundry to finish. we stayed in a few places in Australia and this was the one we felt the most comfortable at. Outstanding was the breakfast, it catered for all of us, there was so much choice we were blown away when we first walked in. This Motel is one of the Motels we will suggest our friends to stay in. Thank You everyone at the Katoomba Town Centre Motel you all do an awesum job.

Toni Phipps