“Lovely staff and rooms; affordable rates”

Katoomba Town Centre
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Katoomba
Reviewed 24 December 2012

We have stayed twice now and have been very happy with our stay both times. The rooms are clean and comfortable and the location is brilliant - right on the main street with everything just a few minutes walk away. We had planned to eat out for dinner the night we stayed but couldn't because our toddler fell asleep early, so we decided to order a take away - the man at reception was really helpful when we asked him to recommend some restaurants that might be able to deliver. Breakfast is always great and the lady in the breakfast room is really lovely. Wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank sooty02

Reviewed 16 December 2012

We stayed at the motel for 3 nights. We had a choice of 2 queen bed family room or 1 queen, 1 single & 1 trundle. After checking 2 rooms, we decided to go for the room with 2 queen. We were very happy with our decision. We loved how big the room was. It's big enough to allow 2 little kids to run around a bit without running into furnitures. The only down side to that room is the air-con is VERY noisy. We couldn't be bothered to mention it to the owners. I don't think they would have fixed it in the time we were there anyway. In the end we got used to it. In a way, I think the noisy air-con was good as it drowned out outside/traffic noise.

The beds were comfortable, the pillows were a bit flat. Thankfully, we brought our own pillows!

We arrived to a clean room on the first day, but it wasn't cleaned on the second day. It might have been due to the fact we returned to the room earlier than the cleaner could get around to it. Thankfully, the room was cleaned on the third day and rubbish was emptied as well.

It was good to have the buffet breakfast included. It saved us from having to go around looking for cafes to have breakfast. That way, we ate our breakfast and went on touring around. The breakfast was ok, nothing to rave about. It was the same everyday. It was ok to have it for 3 days, but I think if we couldn't have it for more than that.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay at Katoomba Town Centre Motel.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Holiday R
charles80, Owner at Katoomba Town Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2013

Hi H R

Thankyou for positive comments, wish that you had bothered to tell us about the air conditioner, and we could of fixed it for you, that's what we are here for.
Along with our 5star beds we have good quality pillows and plenty of them, I myself sleep on a big thick latex pillow which we tried with guests but they were to big, your idea of taking your own pillow is a good idea.
Our Full Hot Buffet Breakfast has 3 Juices, 6 Cereals, Fruit, Porrige, Preserves, Toasts, Muffins and Crumpets, + 12 to 15 hot dishes (all freshly cooked everyday), tea, coffee etc.
Freshly ground coffee, cappuccino, expresso and hot chocolate are available at reception 24 hours a day.
If you go out early and then come back and put the 'Do Not Disturb" sign on the door our staff have been instructed not to disturb you, reception is open until 9.30pm, had you told us we would have been only to pleased to remove any rubbish, provide clean towels etc.

Reviewed 1 December 2012

Just wanted to say thanks for a great experience. I had to leave early due to circumstances and unfortunately believe that there was excessive noise afterwards for which I'm sorry and apologise. Had I still been there this wouldn't have occurred.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 November 2012

Travelled with my partner last weekend, thanks to a last minute deal; $127 for a large family room (queen bed + single) including breakfast and parking.
The hotel has a perfect location; less than a 10' walk to the train station, close to the main restaurants, 20' walk to scenic world, 5' to Coles.. and there's an Aldi just walking across :)
The service was really good; a very welcoming host who would give you all the info you need.
The room was super comfy and clean; not noisy at all, and spacious.
The breakfast was pretty average, buffet style.. just some canned fruits, milk and instant coffee, hot food (but didn't look very fresh), we were expecting something a little bit better (tastier?) but it was fine anyway.

Overall, great place to stay..! :)

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2012

The buffet breakfast was great, car park was a bit too cosy , there were hairs in the bathtub which makes me wonder how well the room had been cleaned,the beds were pretty comfortable, the amount of light that came through around the door jamb was a bit of a worry

Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Zena S
Reviewed 9 November 2012

Apartment had not been cleaned or beds made when we arrived there about 5-6pm. Went out while this was being done. Came back very tired around 8.30 or 9 pm. Was about to step into bathtub to find hairs of previous occupant, also hair in sink and all over bathroom floor...carpets had not been vacuumed. Beds were made up and very clean. Buffet breakfast was good. When I complained when checking out the owner was very rude and never apologized even after I produced a bag with hair and dirt wiped from bathroom floor. She said she could do nothing about it. Could not recommend because of this. We moved to the Carrington and paid a few dollars more for 4 star accommodation and stayed another night.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank Jager202
Reviewed 25 October 2012

Best assets here - receptionist Hillary - what a gem! Professional, very friendly, eager to help, Actually she took the initiative to help me when we had accidentally locked ourselves out late at night - thanks, Hillary!

Liz in the breakfast room, also very friendly! The breakfast is generous and usually included in the tariff. This is a real bonus. Some filtered coffee would be better than the instant coffee offered.

The motel has an arrangement with the Blue Mountains Bus Company Trolley Tours, and this was such a hoot! Included in our particular 2 night deal were tickets to ride this fun&friendly hop on/off bus, with drivers that pay a personal interest in what you wish to see, and advise you accordingly, it was kind of like a personalised tour, they were so helpful&attentive! (Special thanks to Dave&Pat - our drivers.) Plus the day-pass the tour company issued was actually valid for 2 days.

This mid-week motel, breakfast&tour was very good value&I recommend it.

The motel is quite 70's, but comfortable; we only needed a warm room&comfy bed, and this it was. The walls are perhaps a little thin&we could hear our neighbours showering etc, but perhaps you could request an upstairs room if this is a problem. There is no noise at all from the street. Also it is possible to walk to the motel from the Katoomba train station and you can even walk to the 3 Sisters, in about 15 minutes. My son&i walked from the hotel to the Sisters in the dark to see them under floodlights (very pretty), and we felt very safe. Use Lurline St, it's flatter.

Now to a genuine gripe tha I feel needs to be addressed. The online booking system informed me I would pay one night's tariff as a deposit (no probs), and 1.5% credit card surcharge on that (ok). The rest needed to be paid in cash at check-in, so far so good. However when I received the confirm email, only $50 had been taken as a deposit, meaning more cash required. This was still no problem, but i also noticed i had been slugged a $3.81 CC surcharge, on a payment of $50. The charge had been automatically generated on the WHOLE tariff. Hmm. I rang the hotel, but was brushed off by a man who sounded in a hurry. I decided to leave it til we arrived.

I was checked-in by a man who made lots of excuses and wasn't going to adjust the tariff. I didnt mind paying a $3.81 CC surcharge, so long as i could actually pay the whole lot on my CCard, otherwise it should have been only a 75cent fee. But he would not allow this, and after 5 minutes debating it, I gave in. It was only an extra $3, after all, and I was supposed to be on holiday.

Yet this was an illegal charge&somewhat shabby treatment. I hope you have fixed this glitch since i brought it to your attention, because if this happened to only a few customers every day, that would be $100s of illegal CC surcharge every month, and you will be reported. I was trying to do you a favour.

But, as i wrote earlier, this was otherwise good value, and we enjoyed our 2 nights in Katoomba&surrounds. I would stay here again, especially with the mid-week offer.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family