“Worth A Stay for the Historical Ambiance.”
Review of Mountain Heritage

Mountain Heritage
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Katoomba
Sydney, Australia
“Worth A Stay for the Historical Ambiance.”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Having a deluxe room offers outstanding panoramic views, well worth it! My room was spacious as was the bathroom. Furnishings could do with an update. One gripe is --no in room safes which I am so used to on my national & international travels.

The downstairs Reception area, hallways, Bar & Lounges & Dining Room demonstrate the olden days charm with the furnishings, lighting & lead light. A wonderful atmosphere is therefore created.

It's worth reading the extensive/ fascinating history of the Mountain Heritage located in the Room Directory.

Beware that possums are in the area & I had a 12.30am to 12.45am scratching, grunting & bashing scenario on one night!

Room Tip: Deluxe for spectacular views.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Eric S, General Manager at Mountain Heritage, responded to this review, 16 February 2014
Dear Clio H
Thank you for taking the time to review our Retreat.
Your positive comments are very welcome and we are pleased you enjoyed the ambience of our historic building, which is still operating as a guest house, (it's original purpose), and now in it's 106th year.
Unfortunately we do not have in-room safes, but your comment is one we need to consider for the future. We do however, offer safe keeping facilities at our front office.
I am sorry you heard some of our local wildlife, The possums like to abandon the trees and use our roof as a transit lane some nights. When they encounter one another, they do not seem to share our sense of hospitality. Thankfully this is a rare occurance, and I trust they did not disturb you too much or for too long.
Many thanks once again for your feedback, we really value your comments.
Regards
Eric Sward

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Our Standard Heritage room is pretty spacious and is decorated in classic style, consistent with the rest of the hotel's decor. Standard features such as heater, box TV, safe, hairdryer, ironing board, as well stock mini bar were present. Do note that a bottle of mineral water in the mini bar cost 5AUD. However, you can get cheaper mineral water easily from the town center supermarket or just boil your own water with the electric kettle provided. There was no view to speak of since I picked the cheapest room. I just couldn't convince myself to pay 40AUD more a night for rooms with better views since I will be out most of the day. Besides, the hotel's best views of Jamison Valley are in the main lobby anyway. I think the best feature of my room goes to the gorgeous gold tap in the bathroom. My only gripe with the hotel was the shower heater. The water pressure was rather weak and it was frustratingly slow to heat up. So, I had to let the water run for a good 5 minutes before showering each time. For someone not accustomed to chilly weather, an efficient heater with good water pressure is my top priority. Overall, I am still pretty satisfied with my stay in this hotel. I booked this accommodation via Hotels.com. For A120 a night, I was slightly disappointed that breakfast was not included. Nevertheless, you will be spoilt for choice just 10 minutes away in the town centre.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank touristmouse
Eric S, General Manager at Mountain Heritage, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear touristmouse
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. We are glad you enjoyed our service and facilities. The fresh Blue Mountains water is safe to drink direct from the tap, so no need to avail yourself of the bottled water if you preferred not to. Our hot water system was replaced brand new mid last year, not sure what caused the lack of pressure you experienced, I would be pleased if you could contact me direct to advise your room number so we can follow up.
It seems you missed our breakfast, which is available every morning and is either a full hot & cold buffet or a la carte service, depending on business levels, and as you have pointed out, a range of restaurant & cafe offerings are an easy 10 minute stroll from our Retreat.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your comments.
Regards
Eric Sward, General Manager
Australia
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Stayed here for a girls weekend in November, driving up from Sydney. We got a very reasonable rate that included Dinner Bed and Breakfast.
The hotel is well located for walking into Katoomba and we did have a walk around town on our first day though there's not really much to see there - Katoomba was probably once a very lovely little mountain town but is past it's prime, sadly, with once-beautiful old art deco buildings now unoccupied or serving another purpose. Unfortunately for Katoomba, Leura is a much lovelier place to dwell.
The hotel is a sprawling place with an interesting history. It is perfectly fine, very clean, the staff were very nice. Our rooms were both at the front of the building with lovely views - I'd recommend paying a little extra for this. The bathrooms were fine also with all amenities you would need. There is a nice balcony on the front of the common lounge rooms on the lower level where you can sit and have a drink before dinner. In fact, the public areas are very substantial and cosy. The meal in the restaurant was good and the service was good. Incidentally, we were pleased to find a very nice local Blue Mountains wine on the menu (and disappointed that we couldn't seem to find it in the Leura retail stores to take home with us). Two of my friends used the spa facilities which were fairly reasonably priced for the services/length of time offered and surprisingly busy (we booked when we got there). But I can't comment myself on how good this was as I didn't use it.
For 4 women just getting away for 2 days on a low or 'managed' budget, this hotel was fine but if I had booked it for myself and my partner, or as a special break, I would have been disappointed. However, I had read enough reviews prior to booking to know that it would probably meet my expectations with regards value for money and I think it did that.
The fundamentals of the Mountain Heritage seem to be solid - but in my opinion it would benefit greatly from a considerable injection of cash for some mainly cosmetic refurbishment. However, it may well be the case that they are managing their 'offer' to appeal to the type of audience they are looking to attract and are happy to continue to do so - there is a lot to be said for the fact that the place is not full of moneyed Sydney-siders and instead is doing a perfectly good job delivering a nice weekend away experience for pretty good value.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank S_G.UK
Eric S, General Manager at Mountain Heritage, responded to this review, 14 December 2013
Dear S_G.UK,
Thank you for your considered comments around your groups "girls weekend" away. We are pleased you had a very positive experience, and enjoyed your stay and that you appreciate the history, restaurant food and service we provide.
We do feature an excellent white from the local Dryridge Estate Vineyard, in the Megalong Valley, an excellent choice.
We can cater to a range of experiences and price points and offer some wonderful packages for couples to spoil themselves, our spa suites and Premier Suites are a great choice for special weekends away.
I would be delighted to send you some additional information to maybe entice you back for another stay in the beautiful Blue Mountains.
Once again thank you for your comments.
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I made a booking via Booking.com on behalf of my mum for her surprise 50th, and I was impressed even before seeing the place. After emailing a few of my doubts/questions, one of your receptionists - Kiara - did exceptionally well in customer service. She called up twice to ensure everything was fine, which really reassured me. When my mum arrived, she was easily surprised and LOVED the place. I know you might not do this often, but she received an upgrade which made her birthday even more special, and I would like to thank your staff for organising that. I had to see it myself so when I was visited on Saturday, these are a few things I noted:

- great interior design
- exceptional mountain view
- beautiful room furnishing
- clear, blue pool
- impressive Sublime Spa offering
- great food (although breakfast was included, my mum bought from the nicer menu)

I don't think there's anything I can complain about. My family and I are very simple and I can tell you that it truly was a luxurious place, especially as a gift for mothers!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank marcarde
Dear marcarde,
Thank you for your wonderful comments about our Retreat, and especially Kiara.
We love celebrations at The Mountain Heritage and were delighted to look after your Mum on her surprise 50th. We are especially grateful she enjoyed her visit and to you for providing us with your very welcome feedback.
We trust we can welcome you and your family again in the future.
Reviewed 19 November 2013

This hotel was not what I expected.
My husband and I stayed here last weekend for our anniversary and did not feel we got value for money as this hotel is very run down and hotel facilities not readily available.

Pro's
- Beautiful Heritage Building with potential
- Day Spa was sensational had a wonderful massage
- Great location

Con's
- Was raining when we arrived, had to walk up an outside uncovered staircase with our luggage and no offer from hotel staff for any assistance. :(
- My husband went to reception for access to Wifi and was unable to connect all weekend. A staff member told him that she would check it but we didn't here anything back from her so no internet all weekend :(
- The bathroom was very chatty looking and needed some serious repair work, spa was small, jets didn't work properly. :(
- No information provided on things to do in Katoomba in our rooms had to call reception for brochures.
- No foxtel and no offers for any movies to hire through hotel :(
- Restaurant was only open on the Sat night and same with room service. We stayed on Sunday night as well but had to order delivery from a local restaurant in Katoomba. :(
- Mini bar (if that's what you could call it) only had about 5 items to choose from.
- Tried to call reception at 8.30pm on the Sunday night and they had closed. They are suppose to be open until 10pm. We had not been informed that they were closing earlier. The information in our room stated that we could only contact night manager if it was an emergency.:(
- Cleaner tried to barge into our room at 8am Monday morning without knocking. Lucky we had our latch on our door.:(
- Did not sleep well the whole time.
- The odour throughout the hotel was very strong.
- Extremely overpriced

Unfortunately our overall experience of the hotel was very disappointing and we would not recommend this place to any of our friends and family.
Definitely not value for money.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lindy T
Eric S, General Manager at Mountain Heritage, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear Not Happy Jan
Thank you for letting us know about your stay. It seems you had a positive experience but there were some aspects that made it somewhat disappointing for you.
We work hard to ensure every guest leaves with a positive impression, and is keen to return,
It seems we did not get it right for you in every aspect.
I would love the opportunity to discuss your comments with you and would be delighted if you could contact me direct at the hotel so we can ensure we can improve for everyone in the future.
Once again, thank you for your feedback.
Ashmore, Australia
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Room is spacious and views through large windows were superb. The hotel is located in very convenient place. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was simple and healthy. Room is very clean and nice. We could not ask more!! Everything is perfect and we will come back to stay again without hesitation if we have a chance. Thank you to staff for making our holiday enjoyable. We had a great time.

Room Tip: The hotel is not fancy and modern but it has a history!! Please do not forget that. This hotel has...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ossy1409
Eric S, General Manager at Mountain Heritage, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear ossy1409
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.
Your positive feedback is gold for us and I have shared your comments with our team, who are very pleased to know your holiday with us was so enjoyable.
It is also encouraging you "understand" the history and nature of our very unique & historic mountain retreat.
We would love to welcome you back again, and trust you will return in the near future.
Once again thank you for your feedback.
Foulridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We didn't stay at this hotel overnight but ate a 2 course lunch there one afternoon. We both found the hotel charming and looked great and period. It had a great old look with some stunning original features on the inside including a lovely wooden staircase by the reception. The lunch itself was very tasty and the staff were friendly.

If we are in the area longer I would have like to spend the night here and it had amazing views over the mountains. The grounds of the hotel were also well kept and looked nice. Very nice experience.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mr_MrsBeckett
Eric S, General Manager at Mountain Heritage, responded to this review, 26 October 2013
Dear loz626
We are very grateful for your very positive feedback, we are pleased you enjoyed your visit to our retreat, and the views, lunch, our staff, and the original features which have been preserved in our 105 years old historic guest house.
We hope we can welcome you back for a longer visit sometime in the near future.
Eric sward
Also consider these accommodations in or near Katoomba
The Carrington Hotel
Hydro Majestic Blue Mountains
The George Boutique Hotel
The George Boutique Hotel
#3 of 5 in Blackheath

Been to Mountain Heritage? Share your experiences!