“Jamison Guesthouse, Katoomba”

and 1 more site!
Jamison House & The Rooster Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 19 Katoomba B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 February 2013

Spent a weekend in this guesthouse last month with our young daughter (2 years-old) and we had a nice stay even if the weather was not nice (very very misty). The people wre nice, the dinner was good and the location perfect on the outskirt of Katoomba. Place to be recommended for a weekend.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank JolRoutard

Reviewed 9 January 2013

We only stayed a night here, but thought the rooms were charming, good value for money, and loved that we could have a wonderful French Meal downstairs in the evening. Very clean, but we had difficulty operating the TV in our room, and working the egg cooker for our breakfast next morning took some doing!

Room Tip: Lovely and quiet, perhaps wouldn't bother to cook eggs next time for brekky!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jane and Chris T
Reviewed 31 December 2012

Well what can I say... Firstly I think the owners should rename this establishment the "Smoke House" because they clearly are still living in the 19th century and not savvy to the laws in Australia and still allow smoking inside the enclosed walls of their premises.

This is copied straight from the information book inside each room of the "Smoke House"

"The lounge room and verandah are for guests to use. You can enjoy your breakfast on the verandah or just sit and enjoy the magnificent views. On the desk in the lounge room is information about some of the many activities that can be experienced at the Blue Mountains. We can also make bookings for you, if required.

The lounge room and verandah are the only areas of the Guesthouse where smoking is permitted."

What a bonus! Not only do you get breakfast, magnificent views you also get to enjoy 7,000 chemicals exhaled from the smoking guests next to you. You might be unlucky enough not to have any smokers staying at the "Smoke House" but return often enough and I am sure you can sample some fine 2nd hand smoke from around the globe.

I made a complaint by telephone a few days after staying at the "Smoke House" and was shocked by the response of the owner who simply kept blaming me for not making him aware of the fact that someone was smoking on the enclosed verandah and that if I had of called him he would have asked them to stop smoking. Forget the fact that he has given permission for each guest to smoke on the verandah and lounge room.

My partner and I were both woken by the stench of cigarettes in our room at 10pm and again at 8am, which was wafting from the enclosed verandah straight under door leading to the verandah into our room.

Spoiled our Christmas! I recommend the "Smoke House" to smokers only. Everyone else who values their lungs and health should stay elsewhere!

Room Tip: Rooms 3 & 4 probably have less smoke than 1 & 2
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 December 2012

I would have loved the chance to review this guest house and restaurant but we were abruptly, rudely and dismissively bumped from our accommodation (booked well ahead) as we approached our destination. A ruined weekend after a long journey. Don't risk it. I never will again.

Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 15 November 2012

I have just spent five nights at the Jamison House while travelling around Australia. It is a bit quirky. The location for walking is excellent and there is a wonderful view of the mountains from the guest verandah where you can take your breakfast or have coffee or a cup of tea. There is plenty of nice teas to choose from. As there are only four guest rooms there is plenty of room. There is also a separate sitting room just for guests.

I was mixing work and pleasure and the free WiFi was a real bonus. Since leaving Jamison House I have been staying in some expensive hotels charging a small fortune for what should be a free service.

I am sorry the last reviewer was rude about the breakfast as I thought it was plentiful and well thought out. There is a fridge in the room with eggs, yoghurts, orange juice and fresh milk. The cupboard in the room had a variety of cereals, jams and honey. There was also proper coffee and a cafetiere. On the breakfast tray left outside your room there is bread, home made scrummy muffins, cheese, fresh fruit and muesli bars. I had enough for breakfast and lunch. There is a strange gizmo for boiling eggs but once you get used to it then it makes boiled eggs to perfection.

The staff were attentive and helpful. The 'gruff' man actually went out of his way to accommodate me and even made sure that his son was free to give me a lift to the station as my case was very heavy. Granted he does have a bit of a gruff manner but he likes things to be right for his guests. You just need to look beneath the surface. I would be very happy to stay here again.

The restaurant downstairs is somewhat pricey but you get what you pay for. It is a classy establishment with first class food and wine.

Room Tip: I had room 2 which is brighter than some of the other rooms. However I noticed the other rooms had...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank jennifermsNorwich
Reviewed 9 November 2012

Having been quiet a few times over the last 10 years and consistently singing the praises of this establishment, it is with great regret i find myself writing this review.

I was taken aback by the gruff manor my enquiry was handled, but i chalked this up to being a local and the call being close to the beginning of service.

Dinner was everything we knew it would be, we were recognized immediately and greeted as old friends. as always the service at dinner was faultless, the food spectacular. exactly what we have come to expect.

We elected to retire and enjoy our cheeses in the room and asked that it be sent up, whenever they could find the time. upon venturing into the bathroom i discovered housekeeping had erred severely. the bathroom, simply, had not been cleaned. the toilet still retained fecal matter from previous guests, soap and face washer still in the shower and an unmopped floor clear indications of total failure.

when the waitperson arrived with or cheese he was simply shocked, perhaps appalled would be a better description. after a few seconds of contemplating the options (there were no other rooms) he literally started rolling up his sleeves to get in there. i told him that the restaurant floor was probably more important (service was ongoing) and this was a lower priority, please take care of it when you have time.
a short time later, an apologetic senior waitperson and a very abashed kitchen hand appeared at my door and had the problem sorted post haste.
these things happen, it's not pleasant but it happens.

Breakfast was a bit lackluster. A mini chocolate muffin (coles) and a really nice apple & cinnamon mini-muffin that i think was home made, 2 slices of white bread bread, 2 slices of fruit bread, 2 PCs of butter, 2 aldi muesli bars, a small slice of a very tasty white mould, a child's lunch pack of diced peaches, 2 Dora the explorer yoghourts (seriously WTF?), 4 apricot halves in syrup and a selection of PC cereals.
cant quite figure out what the egg cooker was for......
ground coffee and a plunger are supplied as was some quite nice tea, no juice was provided but i did notice other guests had left juice bottles on their plates.

the beds look huge, there not :(
there is a large gap covered with pillows at the head of the bed, fortunately there was nothing to stop me from simply hanging my feet over the end of the bed, as is normal for me.
oh, and perhaps a squeaky bed with only a glass door and a curtain between it and other guests eating breakfast was not a brilliant idea.
I do hope they enjoyed their breakfast.

imagine my surprise to receive a full price bill from the gruff fellow i spoke to on the phone yesterday.
all i expected was a token gesture, as little as 1-2% of the total bill would have sufficed.
after all, a failed bathroom is a fairly large fail.
Instead i receive a face full of attitude and someone raising their voice at me. an issue handled so professionally by so many people gets blown out of the water over $5?
even when i asked the man "your sure you want this review?" his disdain for me was clear.
My sincere apologies to everyone working under that man, to see all your careful work trampled upon must be very difficult.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Joel N
Reviewed 26 August 2012

A great bed and breakfast with a beautiful view and a good location. The rooms were beautiful, and matched the decor of the restaurant. The rooms were very comfuratble and a good size- had a couch and table and chairs. The common room was lovely, warm and cosy. With a fire place, books and games.
Loved the do it yourself breakfast- everything was there and so much food to choose from!
Went to the resturant for dinner. So expensive! Food was good but wouldnt do it again. While the resturant was very busy on a saturday night the food was still promt and we had good service.

The best part of the Jamison was the chef who we happened to be shown around by as the manager wasnt there. He was so sweet and helpful and nice! His lovely character sold the place to us. The manager himself wasnt friendly at all but that was fine.

Overall a great place to stay! Loved the B&B experiance!

Room Tip: Room number one has a view and is so lovely! Has a private enterance to the varanda too which is rea...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Katoomba
The Carrington Hotel
Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant
Fairmont Resort Blue Mountains - MGallery Collection
Waldorf Leura Gardens Resort
Lilianfels Resort & Spa - Blue Mountains

Been to Jamison House & The Rooster Restaurant? Share your experiences!