“Some good some terrible”

Belgravia Mountain Guest House
Ranked #14 of 19 Katoomba B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

It was -1degree when we arrived around 4pm. We were told by a sign on the door to check in next door, the owner seemed nice to offer us an 'upgrade' to a room in the adjoining hotel. I recall researching both places and I chose the guest house. So thats the room I wanted. He showed us the room he was offering and I disliked it, requesting the room I booked and had already paid for. He was hesitant to give us the room we booked. I made it clear and he showed us the room that was suppose to be set aside for us it hadent been cleaned. Neither had the other available room. Checkout is 10am. Instead of getting it ready he hoped we would take a room in the other hotel. I felt lile I was being ripped off. We were told to go bave dinmer the rooms ready when we return. We had driven 10hours that day and wanted a showet and rest. But no. That was dissapointing. There was no blanket in the room and I took a lamp from another room as there was none. The hot water was not working so no shower. It was a trickle of a shower. We asked for a fire at the advertised log fire he said he wont light it that night but will tomorrow. He didnt. The tv was ontop of a wardrobe against the cieling. Impossible to see from anywhere even standing. And couldnt be moved. On the up side the bed was comfy and there were heaters. Lazy owner and lack of staff due to stinginess. Thats a shame otherwise ok.

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank jessedv

Reviewed 22 May 2014

Agree with the previous review.
At $75-85 per night, I have yet to find anything near that price, (at this standard), in the Blue Mountains. (Most others charge $125-150 pnight and minimum 2 night stay).

The rooms have a real "mountains charm" - minus the 1930-40's decor of many of the local guesthouses. Think "ski lodge" without the snow and noisy parties.

As for Air-Con and Blankets; I have always found the staff very obliging, happy to give an extra fan, pillow, blanket etc on request. For Winter, rooms have a wall heater, gas column heater and electric blankets as well as a spare blanket in the bedside chest.

On a recent visit, my kettle wasn't working so I called the manager on the guest phone (at 9.30pm)
and he arrived 10 minutes later with a replacement and apology.

As for the few negative reviews?
I've never encountered any of these issues, and I've stayed about 12 times this year.
(And as a light sleeper - I haven't had any problems).
Again - great service, clean, comfortable and great value !

(P.S. 3 minute walk to Echo Point + The 3 Sister's / 7-10 Minute walk to Main road cafes).

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, like myself, ask for a room near the back, (away from the road and fr...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Drew M
Reviewed 5 March 2014

This guest house is perfect for those on a budget who don't want to compromise cleanliness or service. The staff a superb and really make you feel welcome. The rooms are small and, yes you can hear people moving around the hallway, but comfortable and clean. Perfect if you are spending your days exploring and just need a nice cosy place to sleep at night. The noises of the other guests never disturbed my sleep. Len, the manager, told me that they have just made some improvements to the place, maybe that's why I cannot agree with some of the previous reviews here. I would definitely stay here again. Thank you to all the team! I'll be back!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank KohTaoElaine
Reviewed 10 February 2014

This place is more like a "Frat" house than a guest house. Any noise that anyone else makes comes straight through the walls. I arrived on a day when it was 31 degrees outside. The room didn't even have a fan, let alone an air conditioner. The bed had no bedspread, just a white sheet covering some blankets. The shower is tiny, and barely adequate.
The room is advertised with WiFi, but there was no introduction to this when I checked in. Having said that, the staff on reception were very friendly. I actually found that I was never going to get any rest there, so at around 5.30 in the afternoon I dropped the keys back to reception and bid them goodbye. The receptionist asked if she could find out if they could put me up in their sister guest house, La Maison, but I said no.
If I were the owner of a food business in this region, I'd be really angry with this place. They missed out on my dinner and breakfast money.
Never again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Gerry0103
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I booked this hotel for a one night getaway with 2 friends. Initially i was concerned because some of the previous reviews were not very favourable. We were only after budget accommodation as we were only staying for the night.
While the decor is dated and it is certainly not the Ritz, it is exceptionally clean...much cleaner than some of its very expensive rivals, very quaint and perfect for what we were after. Yes it is a little bit noisy, the walls are thin and you can here people outside in the hall, but it is very quite otherwise. The staff at La Maison next door were super friendly and very helpful.
I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: You need to check in at La Maison next door. There is ample parking at the rear of Belgravia. Bring...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Cherie E
Reviewed 9 April 2013

The staff was friendly, location was good and close to town, the accomodations were private, the sheets were clean. However, the bathroom was in dire need of an overhaul. Mildew threatened to take over the shower and shower curtain. Breakfast was skimpy for those of us who don't eat cereal and toast, because that was all there was to eat.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rcurry17
Reviewed 21 February 2013

We stayed here last weekend. Staff were very, very friendly and helpful. The room was smaller than expected, but very clean. I liked the outlay of the rooms, plus the dining and sitting area.

The La Miason Hotel next door itself looks nice, needs a little work done to it. The spa and sauna facilities were very good. Very close to everything.

A bottle of wine was included. The breakfast is a continental breaky, not a B and B as the sign states, but there is a wide array of food and drinks to choose from, and staff are on hand to make sure that the coffee stays hot, and the bread topped up.

All in all a great stay, and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Leis5
Also consider these accommodations in or near Katoomba
The Carrington Hotel
#7 of 15 in Katoomba
Jenolan Caves House
Jenolan Caves House
#1 of 1 in Jenolan Caves

Been to Belgravia Mountain Guest House? Share your experiences!