“A functional B&B but not worth the price”

Avonleigh Country House
Ranked #13 of 19 Katoomba B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“A functional B&B but not worth the price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

We stayed at Avonleigh for one night by virtue of the fact that the B&B we had originally booked to stay in (Lurline Guesthouse) was experiencing heating problems and the Lurline manager had made the alternative booking on our behalf. We weren't too concerned about which place we were putting up in as we were coming into Katoomba late and were only going to spend one night before seeing the sights the next morning and heading back to Sydney thereafter.

Although Avonleigh looked suitably charming and quaint enough, our stay was average on the whole. The premises were not well lit and smelt very musky. The carpets are in need of replacing, and the place could do with a good airing. We were given room no. 3 for our stay, which was located at the end of a short passageway. The room itself was large, but extremely dated. The bed was creaky and the mattress was extremely soft. If you're like me and suffer from a slipped disc, this can make for a very uncomfortable and potentially painful experience.

The room came equipped with a very gaudy pink ottoman/sofa which was in dire need of re-upholstering. For entertainment, we had quite possibly the world's smallest television. My iPad 2 was more than half its size already! What was worse was that the television was placed right next to the bed (where a bedside table would ordinarily be placed). In order to watch the telly, you had to pull the entire television and table to the middle of the room.

Perhaps most disconcertingly, we were told not to shower with our bathroom door open as "the steam from the toilet would cause the smoke detector to go off", to quote the person who handed us the keys. In the room, there was a sign stating that in the event the smoke detector was set off because of the steam from the bath, the fire brigade would be called out and you would be charged $580 for this.

I found this entire arrangement ludicrous. The smoke detector should never have been placed right in front of the bathroom door to begin with!

The walls between rooms are also very thin. We had a couple of mainland Chinese tourists staying next door and we could hear everything that was gong on in the room next door, from their loud conversations to laughter and even singing! At 11pm at night, this was not a good experience.

For some positives about Avonleigh - the B&B is located less than a five minute walk from the 3 Sisters lookout point and the Scenicworld centre. You can also have a cooked breakfast in the morning. The establishment is generally quite clean also, and there are fridges located around the B&B which you are free to use to store your food.

On the whole, we weren't terribly impressed with Avonleigh but it is a B&B that works if you need a place to rest for the night. It's appearance and interior resembles less of a country home and more of a B&B that had seen much better days and is presently running tired on its last legs.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank esquire84

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012 via mobile

Charming little B&B. Comfortable and clean room. Great breakfast and friendly staff.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2012

Place needs a good paint. Better Manager..cleaner carpets. Pillows terrible..towels threadbare..we had a queen bedroom..very basic..tiny TV..terrible sound..lucky I had my computer..Open Fire would have been great..if HE knew what he was doing..Guest had to ask for more wood, then only received two small pieces...breakfast was ok but who wants 'Frankfurt'..Should be sausages bacon not cooked properly..Lots of guests quietly complained to others...would not go back there.. ..Paperwork at so-called Reception..says Lunch and Dinner..well this is not so...only BREAKFAST..between 8am and 9.15am,,should be at least 7am to 10am.needs alot of improvements ...he only there to make money and was quiet unpleasant...It is a lovely old home and should be care for....

Room Tip: queen room top floor.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank vmcin1
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 nights and chose this place due to the good reviews and awesome location. The reviews did not disappoint me, Avonleigh was an absolute pleasure to live in!

Customer service: The person was nice and friendly. He recommended us places to eat and go. I am afraid I can't remember who it was.

Room: I was surprised that the room was quite big. We took the family room and there were two single beds and a queen/king bed. The beds were the most comfy! Peeking out of the window we saw just greenery. It was winter time and the heater was functioning perfectly as well. The bathroom was also quite big. The water if adjusted right was very warm. Even coming from a tropical country, it wasn't cold in the room.

Breakfast: There was bread, cereal, spreads of all kinds, as well as milk, orange juice and apple juice. First entering the dining room, I was dreading eating bread for 3 days. Just then, the chef appeared and asked if we would like cooked breakfast (bacon, scrambled egg, sausage and tomato). We gratefully accepted it and it seriously was delicious. (Tip: put scrambled egg on the bread!)

Gardens: It was winter. No time to venture, but looked pretty.

Overall, I would definitely stay in Avonleigh if I come to Katoomba again. 5 stars!

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
kiama
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

If only this beautiful old house was as great to stay in as it looks! The door lock takes a couple of minutes to get the key into just the right spot to work. Once inside room 8 you notice a tiny old analogue TV in a position next to the bed where you dont know where the hell to sit or lay where you can watch it. Every single tiny move my husband or I made caused the ancient bed to creak. IT was the hardest,noisiest bed we,ve ever encountered. A staff member turned up our room heating during their first service of our room and we could,nt turn it down that night [management sais this was,nt so ] so during freezing weather we had to have our window open wide to prevent ourselves from cooking. There is no ceiling fan in the bathroom so any odours or steam need to be contained in the bathroom lest it escape and the fire alarm gets activated with the Fire Brigade. I could not manage to open the bathroom window high up in the shower. This too was my fault said management. This morning while someone used the bathroom above us, we got really hot and/or cold water while we were showering too.If you wanted to actually lock your bedroom window for fear of thieving [which we did,nt], the catch would,nt lock. The very appealing fireplace in the advertising only got lit on weekends the lovely Bellissa told us but that she would light it for us as I explained it was a huge drawcard and we were staying in that Thurs night. I ended up showing here how to light the fire after we tired of watching her struggle for over an hour. The manager and another staff member had just as much trouble lighting the fire the other nights. Apparently picking up an axe to split kindling and putting a basket of wood in the large and beautiful lounge room was out of the question we were discover during our 4 night stay. The miserable fire upset all the guests we met. We had to find wood ourselves to find satisfaction.The big TV in the lounge room is,nt digital either. We leant our spare blankets to guests in room 6 who said they could,nt get any spares from management. I enquired the next morning as to whether they actually used them- they did as their heating was,nt on. The building itself is, lovely and warm, elegant, gardens pretty, location near 3 sisters good and an easy enough walk to the shops of the main street.
Before we left this morning I showed the Manager all the problems with our stay there to which he responded I should have complained after the first night and he would have moved us. Of course that would mean whoever got room 8 on the weekend would have got all our woes instead!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank caro d

Travellers are raving about these Katoomba hotels

Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

House decoration brings us to the british colonial time, very nice!!
Andrew is very friendly. We had a great chat every morning, and Melissa too.. she is very friendly and helpful.
We are treated like a king and queen..
Room is equipped with a nice bed, nice bathroom.. i will be back surely should i visit Katoomba again...

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

My sister and I plus families stayed here for one night for a R&R weekend. We were greeted by a very grumpy female staff member, who could not muster a smile even if she tried. We were given two rooms side by side 11 & 12, one family, one double. The rooms appeared clean and tidy, and very warm. There was a small intro to the property's fire alarms, we were told if you leave the bathroom door open after a shower, the alarms may go off. The property inside was clean and tidy too, however the gardens and grounds definitely need some attention. I understand the owners have had this for 6 years, and seems they are maintaining the place. We had a fantastic dinner at Leura Garage, highly recommend this place, only new but is making a huge impact. The worst part of the evening was the overnight in the worst bed, I have ever stayed in. Not a wink all night, due to a very old, non-supportive mattress that required me to hold onto the floor when turning from side to side. I complained in the morning and was promptly given a 1/2 night refund. I would be sorry to see if they did not purchase some new bedding ,as my sister's bedding was also less than desirable. Due to the bad evening, we chose not to stay for breakfast.

Room Tip: Ensure you ask for supportive mattress.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family