“Look elsewhere”

Ranked #13 of 19 Katoomba B&B and Inns
Hobart, Australia
“Look elsewhere”
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

Very very disappointing, grubby, uncomfortable, cheap and tacky. this was once a grand old guesthouse but it is now very run down. I would definitely not recommend it. breakfast room looks like something out of a 1950's dormitory. owners are obviously trying to provide accommodation on the cheap .garden very over run. Not worth what we paid to stay there. Do yourself a favour and stay somewhere else!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Deborah D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 11 March 2014

we stayed at the avonleigh in march 2013, the staff were friendly, meals were fine and the room was pleasant. i really couldnt ask for anything more. the location is excellent, a nice walk to shops or echo point. i didnt find the fire alarm to be any great issue. i have had worse experiences at 5 star hotes both here and overseas. i would highly recommend.

Room Tip: upstairs rooms are good
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 19davem
Weymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2014

We really enjoyed our 2 night stay. The location is great, within easy walk of breathtaking views at Echo point. We watched the sunset. The place is full of character and the staff are really pleasant. Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bruce C
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 13 February 2014

I should have taken notice of the reviews, but I tend to like to make up my own mind. Big mistake !! However I do believe that some of the reviews are a little harsh, Breakfast was good. Room OK but. Very stuffy. No exhaust fan in bathroom ,and a threatening notice on the door to say that if you set the fire alarm off(from the steam in the bathroom) $330 will be added to your bill ! I don't think they can legally do this. TV in lounge does not work because its needs a set top box (very cheap these days) I was told to go and watch the one in my room. Although the TV is not a big issue I feel that it is an expected convenience. Great location for a walk to 3 sisters ,a bit of a walk to town. All in all the most disappointing was the odour (I think it was cooking smells as they do lunch for buses of Asian tourists) also the carpets are need of a good clean,
I sure there are better places to stay in Katoomba,

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank valuefornomads L

Travellers are raving about these Katoomba hotels

Reviewed 26 November 2013

Considering the price, this place was a bit of a letdown. It was clean, comfortable, and quiet, but as others have said, was lacking in any specific character or soul. The location was good for an early morning walk to Echo Point and the Three Sisters and it wasn't too far from the main street to walk to dinner (if you are a walker). Depending on what your expectations of what a 'country house' is, you could be left feeling disappointed by this place.

Room Tip: Even though we were in room no 1 - the closest to the road, we did not hear any road noise.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I arrived early (10.30am), as I was visiting the mountains for the Winter Magic festival, and was instantly told I was too early. I asked if I could leave my bag and told the man my name. I wasn't introduced so have no idea who the man was. I was told to leave my bags in the office with the owners son. The man disappeared so we headed off to watch the festival's parade.

I returned at 7.30pm, when the festival had finished, and was 'told off' for checking in late.

My bag had been taken to my room and the heater turned on so it was nice and warm.

First impression was that the room was tired and old. The photos on the website showed that the place was pretty old fashioned but everything about the place was in need of repair or replacement.

When I sat on the bed I almost sunk to the floor! The bathroom was a bit grotty, when I got in the bath I could see a scum mark. I tried to move the TV so I could see it from the bed and the cabinet it was on fell apart.

The TV was about the size of a small laptop and the only channel I could get was SBS2! Not ideal when I had to entertain my 8 year old son until his bedtime. Fortunately the lounge had a large screen TV and a nice log fire. We couldn't find the remote but at least the TV worked and we managed to find a kids film to watch. There was coffee and tea in the lounge but nothing in the bedroom. Not even a glass for water.

The breakfast was nice and had a fairly good choice.

The owner made no effort to chat to us or ask if we had enjoyed our visit.....overall very disappointing.

Room Tip: Choose another guest house.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Halesx68
Reviewed 12 April 2013

We have stayed in several B and Bs in the blue Mountains and were disappointed with this one. It looks charming from the outside but lacking on the inside. Smell is an important sense when you walk into somewhere. Scented candles/ oil burners would be an idea. Our room was cold upon arrival and we had to work out how to turn the heater on. The guest lounge room was also cold. It would have been more welcoming if the host had warmed the room before our arrival.Our room was poorly appointed though clean. Only one bedside table. TV was on the bedside table so to watch the news etc, you had to sit on the end of the bed. The lounge was comfortable but you could not see the TV from it! The bathroom had no hanging space for clothes. There was nowhere to put toiletries bag ie no ledge, vanity etc. There was no where to put soap or shampoo in the shower. There was no ventilation so the room steamed up after a shower. Floor of shower was mouldy in edges. Shower hose dripped which may explain mould. We were the only guests that night so at least it was quiet. Only type of egg on offer was scrambled....no poached, fried etc. The host was not rude, but nor was he particularly friendly. Got the impression the hosts had no knowledge of the traditional culture of B and B charm and service. It's the little things that make the difference like a warmed room to make you feel you are expected and welcome. We will not be going back there, especially when there are so many other choices in the Mountains.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple