... and now for something completely different! We were sorry to read dismal reviews of this place as we enjoyed our 2 night stay here with friends. Pity if it is true that breakfast is no longer an option as this was excellent, especially for the reasonable price – fresh, well presented and with lots of choice.
This old colonial style place must be unique. It's full of so many pictures, books and curiosities that you would need to spend more than a few days here to fully appreciate its historical importance. Attention to detail even went as far as playing 'The Laughing Policeman' at breakfast which we found amusing.
Yes, it's a bit dark and maybe cluttered but that's all part of the charm. Incredible that they have managed to fit the 'essential' elements of spa baths and internet into the equation without destroying the theme. But it is not luxurious in the modern sense, our room was 'cosy' and the bathroom just about big enough.
It is in an excellent situation, in a quiet road, close enough to the main attractions to walk by day, or evening, but superbly tucked away from passing traffic.
Lots of choice for food in the town but our friends introduced us to the idea that you can eat at any veterans, golf or bowling club by 'joining' for the evening. There's a particularly good RSL in Katoomba which serves a mix of Chinese, Australian and European food at excellent prices. Our portions were so large we followed the example of others and took some home in containers they helpfully provided.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kurrara Guest House was built in 1902 as one of the first guest houses in Katoomba. In 2012, it was handed over to new owners and has undergone a transformation. Our beautiful Mountains Guest House is centrally heated, and offers 3 spa en suites, with 4-poster beds and period furnishings. 5 Upstairs shower en suites are individually decorated and have been recently refurbished. Our guests enjoy relaxing in our communal lounges around Victorian gas log fires and a large screen TV/DVD & library. Enjoy tea & coffee on arrival, and complimentary Port. We offer a full continental breakfast of homemade muesli, cereals, freshly baked bread, fruit, yogurt, and fresh juice. Free wifi is available in all rooms. Kurrara has its own private carpark and off street parking. Situated on a quiet and peaceful corner, surrounded by rhododendrons and mature trees. We are within walking distance to Katoomba town centre and wonderful restaurants, Echo Point and The Three Sisters and the many bushwalks in the surrounding area. We welcome you to stay with us and become part of an 110 year tradition of visitors to Kurrara. You won't want to leave! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com and Ebookers so you can book your Kurrara Historic Guest House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kurrara Guest House Hotel Katoomba
- Kurrara Historic Guest House Blue Mountains/Katoomba, Australia