“Not a warm welcome in the Blue Mountains” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kurrara Historic Guest House

Kurrara Historic Guest House
Ranked #3 of 20 Katoomba B&B and Inns
Auckland, New Zealand
“Not a warm welcome in the Blue Mountains”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2010

We had booked the Marguerite Room for a romantic weekend away in Katoomba, a place we have visited on several occasions over the last year. The website looks lovely and I thought it would be exactly the cosy weekend we were looking for. I was a little surprised that they felt able to almost double the price of the room on a Saturday night, but it was a special treat so ...

I had phoned to advise of our arrival time, but as soon as the door opened we felt the cold chill of a less than warm welcome. Brushing this aside, we were keen to settle into our room and head out for dinner. However, the first problem we encountered was the door not locking. When we advised David of this problem, he told us that no-one else had ever had a problem, that we must not be inserting the key correctly and that there was nothing that he could do about it. Interesting to note, after the event, that at least one other reviewer here outlines a similar issue. Also interesting to see someone else mention the fact that they thought he was drunk one evening as he certainly smelled of alcohol this night too and became quite aggressive when we indicated that we were not happy with not being able to lock our door properly, a small but rather important matter when one books a hotel room.

On the Saturday, David assured us that he would fix this problem so we tried to put aside our reservations about the lack of hot water, in fact lack of water altogether half way through a shower, the fact that the heating appeared not be working, the thick layer of dust on all the surfaces in our room and the lack of attention to detail in not providing milk for making tea or coffee.

We had wanted to just chill out at the guesthouse on the Saturday afternoon but instead took refuge in a draughty pub, not wanting to risk another unpleasant encounter with our host. When we finally returned at around 10pm, we were horrified to find that the door to our room had been left unlocked, the light on and nothing had been fixed.

This might once have been a lovely and welcoming place to stay, but not anymore. It is heartbreaking to see how someone can treat their guests with such disdain and run what could be such a lovely business into the ground. Our visit ended with a very unpleasant encounter in which we had to beg for a refund and ruined what should have been a lovely weekend away. We got straight on the train and returned to Sydney, abandoning our plans to spend another day in Katoomba.

I don't know if this place relies on tourists passing through who won't come again, but $170 a night for a room with walls so thin you can hear the people next door breathing, dirty sheets, no TV, no heating, no hot water and a manager who simply whines "I'm doing my best," is really not a good advertisement for Australian hospitality.

All we were left with was the words of the latest ad campaign for the Australian Tourist Board ringing in our ears: "Australia, there's nothing like it!" - thank goodness!!

Very sad.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank alisonkaychapman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2010

we arrived at this hotel around 2pm on Saturday, we were greeting by David who informed us our room was not quite ready yet and he also wanted to fix the lock on the door. This was fine, as we dropped off our bags and went walking for the day.
The guest house was very close the Echo point, around 10-15 mins walk.
It was also 10-15mins walk from the Station and main Street.
We arrived back around 5pm, relaxed in our room, then headed out for the evening.
We had a great nights sleep, quiet, cosy and warm.
The next morning we slept in and missed breakfast but checked out about 10.30am.
The guest house is very quiet but sometimes can hear noises from the next room.
Great for a weekend! Would stay again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SAL1979_10
Sydney
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2010

I had looked at Kurrara online and booked one night in the Yellow Daisy room. I went to Kurrara and got my key, but I was early (12pm) and the room was not yet cleaned so I went out again for a few hours.

As I came back I passed the manager on his way out. He said he was going out for 10 minutes. I went up to my room and discovered the door could not lock. In addition, I could hear the neighbours next door as if they were standing next to me. As I needed to log on and work that night, I went downstairs to ask to move room. The manager was not there. Eventually I called him and he said he'd meet me in 30 mins - he was out as he "works seven days". I returned about 45 mins later and he was not there. After another half an hour I called to check I hadn't missed him and he said he'd be back in 10 mins, again saying something about not ever getting a break.

When he came back 40 mins later, I asked to change to another room upstairs, the Lily of the Valley Deluxe Room. Instead he put me in the Wild Flowers Deluxe Spa room downstairs. This is a very dark room and the manager was drinking alcohol with other guests in the lounge, which I could hear clearly. After 30 mins, apologising, I asked could I go upstairs. He gave me the key and we had a very convoluted conversation about France. I am quite sure he was quite drunk.

In summary, the Yellow Daisy room is pretty and light, but noisy. The Lily of the Valley Room where I ended up is on the end so quieter, but extremely damp. The TV reception was awful. The Wild Flowers Deluxe Spa Room is not to my taste, very dark, very old fashioned and the stairs are above or next to it so it's noisy. This is a building that has lovely bones and is in a great location, but it's shabby and damp and the host is terrible. I would never stay again and recommend you look around - there are so many better places to stay in Katoomba.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank Hoogsie
Sydney
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2010

2.49pm: David from the Kurrara guesthouse calls to confirm what time we will be arriving. Our initial booking had been for 6pm but I advise him that we will now arrive between 6.30pm and 7pm.

6.40pm: We arrive at the Kurrara guesthouse. It is raining. The doors are locked and there is a sign advising us to ring the doorbell, check the door on the carpark side, or call a (landline) phone number. The doors are locked and the phone number goes through to an answering machine. I leave a message saying that we've arrived and requesting a call back.

7pm: No sign of life at the Kurrara guesthouse, despite it being the latest time that I said we'd arrive by. Getting a bit worried about being late for the engagement party that brought us to the area, and hoping to get out of the rain and get changed into more formal attire. I call the answering machine again and leave another message. Start wondering whether we will have anywhere to sleep since a local music festival has booked out many accommodation options.

7.15pm: Manage to locate another hotel that has just had a last-minute cancellation. The Kurrara guesthouse still seems to have been deserted by its owners, so we are very relieved.

7:40pm: Checked into the new hotel. Call back to the Kurrara guesthouse once more to hear the weird answering machine message and let them know that I'm expecting a refund.

8pm: David from the Kurrara guesthouse calls to check whether we're coming.

If it sounds to you like I wouldn't recommend the Kurrara guesthouse, you are very observant.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jamakha
Bangkok / Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2010

The rooms were just lovely and very impressed as shown on the website. And it is ! when my wife and me arrived there.
BUT it 's not just the charm of oldness, but the room is REAL old.
Wall and ceilings were so thin, i could hear everything the guy next room said to his friends, every steps he took.
Bed was not nice, noisy , creaky.
more importantly , I felt like we're NOT welcome by host :( which was the worst experience of my first AUS trip. (no idea, maybe it s my fault. because of i look asian)

Anyway the weather was good, Jan 2010

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MacOSK
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2010

Guesthouse located in old, walkable neighborhood half way between the Sisters and train station. Stayed in the Marguerite room for one night, but all rooms appeared lovely.
The following is not a deal-breaker, but rather something I've never encountered at a B&B. One of the two main hosts/owners outwardly complained that he'd not had a day off in four days and had to shoot off to Sydney to rest. It was somewhat weird to be told this because it made us feel that guests were in his way, his livelihood. Hopefully you catch him fresh off his holiday.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Fife Scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2009

Stayed for 4 nights and while we loved the town of Katoomba this guest house had too many faults. Room was not made up after our first night as the housekeeper had been given the day off. On days after this we were asked if we really wanted our linen changed or could it be left 'til the next day to save costs. Advertised wi-fi is broken though the manager denies there is any problem and blamed my laptop. Rooms are quaint but also cluttered with too many cuddly toys etc. for our tatse.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple