“A little less than we had hoped”

Kurrara Historic Guest House
Ranked #3 of 19 Katoomba B&B and Inns
Oslo, Norway
“A little less than we had hoped”
Reviewed 4 November 2010

The guest house is a lovely house situated pretty central in Katoomba, but its hard to use any superlatives about this place, nor positive or negative. We booked one of the Spa ensuites for a couples getaway for the weekend. The booking, payment and confirmations was all well enough, but when we got there we had to wait for 15 min. before the owner, David showed up, even though we told him excactly when we would arrive, and arrived as agreed.

Maybe we were there on a particularly cold weekend, but the place was really cold, and not until the next day did we get instructions on how to work the fireplace, which was really the only real means of heating in the room. On top of that there were several occasions when there was no hot water for taking a bath. Again, this could be due to the unexpected cold weather that weekend. The room had no guest information whatsoever.

We ate breakfast there the first morning, but as it was pretty basic, we ate elsewhere the rest of the weekend, and upon departure we were not charged for the one breakfast we had there, which was kind.

All in all a pretty average experience, which is a pity since the house in itself is very nice and so are the rooms. I think one expects to get a little more than could be expected from these kind of guesthouse experiences, not a little bit less.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank thegge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 4 October 2010

It was the first anniversary of our wedding and the Rose suite with the 4 poster bed, the fireplace and the spa has been what we needed.We enjoyed the walks along the cliff and the romantic views. Thank you to Nicole and David for their kindness.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed 2 October 2010

I love the Blue Mountains and I try to come here at least every couple of years to enjoy the beautiful views and bush walking. I discover Kurrara through Lasminute and it has been a wonderful surprise for the quality of the furnishing, and of the service. I will bring my parents here next time. The negative point is that we had an heavy luggage and next time we will take a taxi to go there.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed 5 September 2010

Before taking this into account, pls take note that I didn't even make it to the hotel such was the image given to me via e-mail encounters. So I could not rate anything other than the service

My name is Daniel and I booked the White Flowers Spa Suite, for Sunday the 4th and was really excited as it was a special weekend with the girl-friend. I had to ask for a confirmation 3 times before I recieved this

"Dear David

Thank You for booking the lovely Old Rose Deluxe Spa ensuite

for the night of Monday 12th of July"

Wrong name, room and date. I sent 2 more emails requesting a real confirmation and recieved the correct one, no appology for the mix up

I work in a hotel in the city and was annoyed by this. I have forwarded the wrong confirmations on in the past, but am always very quick to appologise for my mistake and assure the guest that I have the correct details.

I sent an e-mail to cancle (well outside the cancellation policy) and never recieved a return e-mail to tell me that it was recieved. My card was refunded 2 weeks later

Not the kind of thing you'd expect from a small place in the lovely mountains. Im booking a room for this month in the mountains but I'm afraid it wont be here

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cfcdan
Jeanette005
Reviewed 16 August 2010

After having read a couple of reviews I was a little worried, but on arrival at this beautiful old home we were greated by David, shown around and made to feel at home. We settled in and enjoyed a coffee, then retreated to our beautiful room, with open fire, 4 poster bed, and huge spa bath, we felt transported back in time. We are now planning our next little get away and will definately be returning to this fantastic destination in the Blue Mountains.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 25 June 2010

We had booked the Marguerite Room for a romantic weekend away in Katoomba, a place we have visited on several occasions over the last year. The website looks lovely and I thought it would be exactly the cosy weekend we were looking for. I was a little surprised that they felt able to almost double the price of the room on a Saturday night, but it was a special treat so ...

I had phoned to advise of our arrival time, but as soon as the door opened we felt the cold chill of a less than warm welcome. Brushing this aside, we were keen to settle into our room and head out for dinner. However, the first problem we encountered was the door not locking. When we advised David of this problem, he told us that no-one else had ever had a problem, that we must not be inserting the key correctly and that there was nothing that he could do about it. Interesting to note, after the event, that at least one other reviewer here outlines a similar issue. Also interesting to see someone else mention the fact that they thought he was drunk one evening as he certainly smelled of alcohol this night too and became quite aggressive when we indicated that we were not happy with not being able to lock our door properly, a small but rather important matter when one books a hotel room.

On the Saturday, David assured us that he would fix this problem so we tried to put aside our reservations about the lack of hot water, in fact lack of water altogether half way through a shower, the fact that the heating appeared not be working, the thick layer of dust on all the surfaces in our room and the lack of attention to detail in not providing milk for making tea or coffee.

We had wanted to just chill out at the guesthouse on the Saturday afternoon but instead took refuge in a draughty pub, not wanting to risk another unpleasant encounter with our host. When we finally returned at around 10pm, we were horrified to find that the door to our room had been left unlocked, the light on and nothing had been fixed.

This might once have been a lovely and welcoming place to stay, but not anymore. It is heartbreaking to see how someone can treat their guests with such disdain and run what could be such a lovely business into the ground. Our visit ended with a very unpleasant encounter in which we had to beg for a refund and ruined what should have been a lovely weekend away. We got straight on the train and returned to Sydney, abandoning our plans to spend another day in Katoomba.

I don't know if this place relies on tourists passing through who won't come again, but $170 a night for a room with walls so thin you can hear the people next door breathing, dirty sheets, no TV, no heating, no hot water and a manager who simply whines "I'm doing my best," is really not a good advertisement for Australian hospitality.

All we were left with was the words of the latest ad campaign for the Australian Tourist Board ringing in our ears: "Australia, there's nothing like it!" - thank goodness!!

Very sad.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank alisonkaychapman
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 18 May 2010

we arrived at this hotel around 2pm on Saturday, we were greeting by David who informed us our room was not quite ready yet and he also wanted to fix the lock on the door. This was fine, as we dropped off our bags and went walking for the day.
The guest house was very close the Echo point, around 10-15 mins walk.
It was also 10-15mins walk from the Station and main Street.
We arrived back around 5pm, relaxed in our room, then headed out for the evening.
We had a great nights sleep, quiet, cosy and warm.
The next morning we slept in and missed breakfast but checked out about 10.30am.
The guest house is very quiet but sometimes can hear noises from the next room.
Great for a weekend! Would stay again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple