“home away from home”

Kurrara Historic Guest House
Ranked #3 of 19 Katoomba B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 January 2011

IMy wife and myself we love the Blue mountains and bushwalkings. The walk from Katoomba to Leura is one of the best, the view is just terrific. We found Kurrara guest house very suitable to us, a stroll to the best bushwalk, a relaxing place where we can rest in the verandah and enjoy the peaceful sunset. We will be back.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Kurrara Historic Guest House

Reviewed 29 December 2010

The house is beautiful, and the rooms were cosy with everything we needed and within easy walking distance to town. David (the manager) was busy but still very helpful. This isn't five star accommodation, and doesn't have all the luxuries, but for the price it's fantastic value. The rooms are really pretty and comfortable and ours was equipped with DVD player, tea, coffee etc.

There were a number of nice touches too. One night we watched a DVD borrowed from David's small library, which was a lovely way to spend the evening after walking all day.
And while technically the kitchen isn't a 'share' kitchen, when David noticed us carrying a bag of cheese and other deli snacks, he offered to let us use the fridge and other kitchen utensils. The free internet (if you have a laptop) didn't go astray either.

The rooms could do with a little bit of spring cleaning/ upgrading but are still comfortable and you feel like your'e in a big house rather than a hotel. There's a lovely homey feel, though the mattress on the bed is about due to be replaced. It was soft, but sank a bit in the middle.

We stayed in the Lily of the Valley Deluxe room which was very quiet with a leafy view. The whole hotel was really peaceful. The Old Rose Spa Suite looked stunning, but was right next to reception so might be a bit noisy. I looked at a couple of the basic rooms too - they were a bit smaller and more basic than the deluxe rooms but looked nice. They're also upstairs so might be a bit more peaceful if noise is a concern.

Breakfast was a buffet of pancakes, toasts, cereals, delicious yogurt, fruit and home made jams. While the hotel breakfast looked tasty, we mostly went to a cafe nearby - Common Ground - they were unbelievably delicious. Overall a lovely stay if you want something a bit nicer than a hostel, very pretty and homey, but nothing overly fancy. I would stay again.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 November 2010

I saw Kurrara Guest House and thought it looked quite nice based on their website. Phoned up David on 23rd Nov 2010 to make a reservation from 23rd to 26th December 2010, and all he did was whine and complain that he did not want to work on Christmas Day (25th Dec 2010) and wanted to spend time with his family in Sydney.

I told him I understood that, and asked whether someone else would be working instead. He reiterated his wish to not work Christmas Day and that he would need to speak the other owner. I then asked whether any guests would be staying over the Christmas period (just to try and make sense of it), and he then re-reiterated his desire to not work Christmas and he needed to discuss with the other owner. I then asked whether the other owner would be working instead, and he said that HE was "the owner with a vested interest in the business". Frustrated and annoyed, I thanked him and told him I would look elsewhere; then hung up on him mid-way through another statement about him not working Christmas.

I have not stayed at Kurrara Guest House, and if this is the level of service one can expect, then what more when arriving?

It seems to me that the Christmas period is a time to make some good money, particularly in a depressed industry, GFC fallout etc etc etc, and David simply could not be bothered to take a good opportunity - I was prepared to book and pay this morning!

David, if you sook and complain so much, why are you in the hospitality/hotelling/service industry? Your 'vested interest' should be in your guests; you could be a gracious, courteous and polite host, make lasting impressions for repeat business and really make a success out of the guest house. Instead you choose otherwise. The tourism market might suggest you get out of the business.

It seems my review is much in line with the other reviews listed here: an irritable host who can't be bothered having guests in his guest house, especially over Christmas!

Such a shame, it 'looked' nice...

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bond_Industries
Reviewed 4 November 2010

The guest house is a lovely house situated pretty central in Katoomba, but its hard to use any superlatives about this place, nor positive or negative. We booked one of the Spa ensuites for a couples getaway for the weekend. The booking, payment and confirmations was all well enough, but when we got there we had to wait for 15 min. before the owner, David showed up, even though we told him excactly when we would arrive, and arrived as agreed.

Maybe we were there on a particularly cold weekend, but the place was really cold, and not until the next day did we get instructions on how to work the fireplace, which was really the only real means of heating in the room. On top of that there were several occasions when there was no hot water for taking a bath. Again, this could be due to the unexpected cold weather that weekend. The room had no guest information whatsoever.

We ate breakfast there the first morning, but as it was pretty basic, we ate elsewhere the rest of the weekend, and upon departure we were not charged for the one breakfast we had there, which was kind.

All in all a pretty average experience, which is a pity since the house in itself is very nice and so are the rooms. I think one expects to get a little more than could be expected from these kind of guesthouse experiences, not a little bit less.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank thegge
Reviewed 4 October 2010

It was the first anniversary of our wedding and the Rose suite with the 4 poster bed, the fireplace and the spa has been what we needed.We enjoyed the walks along the cliff and the romantic views. Thank you to Nicole and David for their kindness.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2010

I love the Blue Mountains and I try to come here at least every couple of years to enjoy the beautiful views and bush walking. I discover Kurrara through Lasminute and it has been a wonderful surprise for the quality of the furnishing, and of the service. I will bring my parents here next time. The negative point is that we had an heavy luggage and next time we will take a taxi to go there.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2010

Before taking this into account, pls take note that I didn't even make it to the hotel such was the image given to me via e-mail encounters. So I could not rate anything other than the service

My name is Daniel and I booked the White Flowers Spa Suite, for Sunday the 4th and was really excited as it was a special weekend with the girl-friend. I had to ask for a confirmation 3 times before I recieved this

"Dear David

Thank You for booking the lovely Old Rose Deluxe Spa ensuite

for the night of Monday 12th of July"

Wrong name, room and date. I sent 2 more emails requesting a real confirmation and recieved the correct one, no appology for the mix up

I work in a hotel in the city and was annoyed by this. I have forwarded the wrong confirmations on in the past, but am always very quick to appologise for my mistake and assure the guest that I have the correct details.

I sent an e-mail to cancle (well outside the cancellation policy) and never recieved a return e-mail to tell me that it was recieved. My card was refunded 2 weeks later

Not the kind of thing you'd expect from a small place in the lovely mountains. Im booking a room for this month in the mountains but I'm afraid it wont be here

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple