In the company of 9 others my husband and I spent a weekend last month at The Metropole. It was a gathering of old friends at a town that was accessible for us coming from the ACT, Sydney and the Southern Highlands.
The Guest House is right opposite the railway station on a corner but the noise wasn't too bad. From the outside it looks pretty run down but inside it is lovely. Furnished with the comfort of a bygone era, lots of nooks and crannies to sit with a book,or otherwise have drinks and chat.
The rooms were comfortable and clean with tasteful furnishings, ensuites, adequate heating and room to move around. The beds were comfortable and the room spotlessly clean. The big down turn is there is no lift. Most of the rooms are on the 1st or 2nd floor. One of our party was on crutches and another had a leg injury and as their rooms were on the 2nd floor, they struggled. We all had to lump our lugage up and down the stairs. Perhaps the fact there is no lift should be pointed out in the brochure.
We were on a weekend dinner, bed and breakfast package and with some coming long distances the inflexibility of having to be seated by 6.00pm for dinner. particularly on Friday night, seems a bit antiquated in this day and age. At least there was a bar with a reasonable drinks and wine list but no BY0 and specialty teas and coffees were extra as well. Also having to be seated by 8.00am for breakfast is infleixible too. The food was ok but there was no choice at both meals, 3 set courses at dinner and cereals and fruit laid out for breakfast but small servings of hot meals with no choice there either. It all felt a bit rushed.
Parking was first in first served on an old parking lot at the back or it was the street.
We had a fun weekend, but if I went back I would eat elsewhere.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Metropole Guesthouse is a proud member of the Equeva Group, established with a view to provide the Complete Accommodation Experience for every type of traveller; from individuals to extended families. Located in Katoomba, in the scenic upper Blue Mountains. Established during the early part of the 1930s in the heart of the beautiful township of Katoomba; The Metropole offers a uniquely historic atmosphere. We are within comfortable walking distance to several key local attractions, specialty stores, dining options, buses and trains. It's easy to immerse yourself in the senses and flavours of a bygone era; indulge your appetites in our licenced 1930's dining room, relax with a book in our guest library, use our free Wifi or simply sit back and watch the world pass by on one of our many antique lounges. The Metropole Guesthouse can also provide function areas for meetings, conferences, weddings and birthdays. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Metropole Guesthouse reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Metropole Guesthouse Hotel Katoomba
- The Metropole Guesthouse Blue Mountains/Katoomba, Australia