I spent 3 nights at the Metropole Guesthouse and would recommend it as a good place to stay in Katoomba. I arrived after reception closed but was able to phone in advance to arrange retrieving my keys from a keysafe, so don't be put off by the early evening closure of reception.
The guesthouse is located opposite the railway station - a huge relief when I arrived during a heavy downpour! It's also opposite the Blue Mountains Explorer Bus office - the guesthouse reception can sell you discounted tickets for this, you just take the voucher across to the Explorer office to exchange for your ticket and it's excellent value as the ticket lasts for the duration of your stay. Reception can also arrange other discounted attraction tickets too, a really helpful service. The guesthouse is well-located for restaurants and shops.
My room was on the ground floor facing in to the central courtyard. It could be a little bit noisy with other guests passing through the courtyard, but not a major issue. My room was adequately furnished, warm and clean. The ensuite was rather amusing where someone had planned the layout of the bathroom rather badly, there was a notch cut in the door so that it could swing past the toilet! This just added some comedy value, it in no way affected the cleanliness or comfort of the room, so don't be put off by the photo that someone else has posted on their review.
This was a nice place to stay, it possibly attracts older clientele more, as my visit seemed to coincide with a couple of senior citizen group trips, but it's a lovely old place in a very convenient and central location, I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a decent, clean and comfortable place to stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Metropole Guesthouse is a proud member of the Equeva Group, established with a view to provide the Complete Accommodation Experience for every type of traveller; from individuals to extended families. Located in Katoomba, in the scenic upper Blue Mountains. Established during the early part of the 1930s in the heart of the beautiful township of Katoomba; The Metropole offers a uniquely historic atmosphere. We are within comfortable walking distance to several key local attractions, specialty stores, dining options, buses and trains. It's easy to immerse yourself in the senses and flavours of a bygone era; indulge your appetites in our licenced 1930's dining room, relax with a book in our guest library, use our free Wifi or simply sit back and watch the world pass by on one of our many antique lounges. The Metropole Guesthouse can also provide function areas for meetings, conferences, weddings and birthdays. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, LateRooms and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Metropole Guesthouse reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Metropole Guesthouse Hotel Katoomba
- The Metropole Guesthouse Blue Mountains/Katoomba, Australia