Most Convenient Location:
We were delighted to discover the guesthouse just a mere 3-minutes walk away from Katoomba Railway Station. That was a big plus for us, especially since we had very little time to spend on Blue Mountains and that we were going around on the public transport with our luggages.
Arriving at the guesthouse, we were again pleasantly surprised that we could immediately check-in despite the fact that we arrived at about 9.30 am (way before the the stipulated check-in time). In the glory of the morning sunlight, the guesthouse looked charming and warm, especially given the rather cold weather in June! The lady at the counter got us to our 4-room 'apartment' just round the corner to the front desk and we were grateful for a place on the same floor! I cannot imagine having to lug our luggages up the flight of stairs (didn't notice a lift).
Our family room was modestly decorated with somewhat outdated (and even dingy-looking) furnishings but they sufficed. There was a portable heater in the shared space/lounge area and it was sufficient in the day but at night, it was barely enough .. Brr! Thankfully, each bed in the apartment had one of those heated blankets (?) which definitely helped us (who were very much unaccustomed to the cold) get through the nights. There was only one bathroom area for all 7 of us to share and that became quite tricky when getting ready for the day. The bathroom was also the coldest area in the house, with no heating apparatus whatsoever. Nevertheless, we survived and it was quite an experience.
The Metropole was about 3-minutes walk upslope to the main road by The Carrington Hotel. That was where we boarded our tour bus to Jenolan Caves and also where we took the public bus (service #686) that got us to and fro The Scenic World and Echo Point. There was also an Indian restaurant providing Halal fare on this same stretch of road.
Surprisingly, the guesthouse provided free WIFI for the guests and that was very useful. Overall, we were satisfied with our short stay and the convenience it afforded us.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Established during the early part of the 1930s in the heart of the beautiful township of Katoomba; the Metropole Guesthouse offers a uniquely historic Blue Mountains accommodation experience, retaining its period character with fine wood panelling and leadlight windows, some overlooking the lovely Kingsford Smith Memorial Park. The hotel is within comfortable walking distance to several key local attractions, specialty stores, dining options, buses and trains. Whether you're escaping for relaxation, adventure or just a bit of culture - The Metropole Guesthouse is the ideal mountain getaway. It's easy to immerse yourself in the senses and flavours of a bygone era; indulge your appetites in our 65 seat, licensed and atmospheric 1930's dining room; relax with a book in our guest library, use our free Wi-Fi or simply sit back and watch the world pass by on one of our many antique lounges... The Metropole Guesthouse can also provide function areas for meetings, conferences, weddings and birthdays. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, LateRooms and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Metropole Guesthouse reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Metropole Guesthouse Hotel Katoomba
- The Metropole Guesthouse Blue Mountains/Katoomba, Australia