We stayed here for one night and had a package for $220 which included a three course dinner and cooked breakfast. The hotel is in a convinent location at the top of the main street, close to the railway, and it has limited free parking. The interior of the hotel - furnishings and decor is 1930s style. The layout appears to have altered little from when the hotel was built. As such the guest rooms are small and compact, and there are large communal lobbys, library, and games rooms. The hotel is 3 storeys high and there is no lift. If you suffered from mobility issues or had heavy luggage I would recommend requesting a lower or middle floor room. Our room on the third floor was clean, comfortable, but small. For a one night stay it was adequate. The rooms only have ceiling fans. We stayed on quite a hot night and found that the ceiling fan struggled to keep the temperature in the room cool. If booking during summer months again i think i would re consider my stay here due to no proper air conditioning.
The meals are all served in an elegant dining room which only serves meals to guests who book the meal packages. Our three course meal was set and there was no menu choise. The wine list was adequate. Our meal consisted of tomato and kumaru soup, chicken stuffed with spinich and feta, vegetables and rice. Dessert was pavalova and fruit. Breakfast which is served at 8.15am is a buffet continental (no fruit) and a small cooked meal of sausage, poached egg, hash brown, and bacon. The meals while small were good quaility and plainly presented.
Overall we enjoyed the meals and the character of the hotel. We did not have the most comfortable sleep due to the temperature of the room. For a short stay i would recomment this hotel - but not maybe in the hottest months.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Established during the early part of the 1930s in the heart of the beautiful township of Katoomba; the Metropole Guesthouse offers a uniquely historic Blue Mountains accommodation experience, retaining its period character with fine wood panelling and leadlight windows, some overlooking the lovely Kingsford Smith Memorial Park. The hotel is within comfortable walking distance to several key local attractions, specialty stores, dining options, buses and trains. Whether you're escaping for relaxation, adventure or just a bit of culture - The Metropole Guesthouse is the ideal mountain getaway. It's easy to immerse yourself in the senses and flavours of a bygone era; indulge your appetites in our 65 seat, licensed and atmospheric 1930's dining room; relax with a book in our guest library, use our free Wi-Fi or simply sit back and watch the world pass by on one of our many antique lounges... The Metropole Guesthouse can also provide function areas for meetings, conferences, weddings and birthdays. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Booking.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Metropole Guesthouse reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Metropole Guesthouse Hotel Katoomba
- The Metropole Guesthouse Blue Mountains/Katoomba, Australia