“Cramped, poor service but good food and atmosphere.”

Papadino's Katoomba Pizzeria and Family Restaurant
Ranked #15 of 91 Restaurants in Katoomba
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
“Cramped, poor service but good food and atmosphere.”
Reviewed 15 September 2013

My partner and I chose to eat here for his 21st Birthday on a Saturday night. We arrived at about 5:30-6 thinking we would get in early and have a quietish bite to eat, we were very wrong. We mussled our way through to the back to speak to a waitress about getting a seat and she put us on the last table next to the door. The tables were really packed in but it was cosy. She came over 5 or so minutes later with Menus. After waiting a good 15 minutes for her to take our order someone from another table informed us that we had to go to the till to give our order. This I didn't like I had to hussle back to the back of the restaurant to do so. No table service at all. We placed our order for food and drinks, paid and returned to our table. I didnt like paying before I had eaten but thats just me.
We then got our starter of garlic bread and tucked in as it was pre cut, our cutlery to then arrived after we had eaten half of it already! 10 minutes after this Myles' drink arrived and another 3 before mine did too. The bread was okay, too many Italian herbs on it just overpowered it unfortunately.
A good 40 minutes after we had ordered our mains arrived. We chose a pizza each and had it in a Calzone which was lovely. There wasnt a lot of tomato in mine so I asked for some sauces alongside the water I had ordered when I ordered the meal. Neither ever arrived so I got sauce myself and went without the water. It was so busy we left without pudding because we didn't want the hassle of ordering and paying for a second time or to wait another 30 minutes for it to arrive. People who were waiting for a table were in what little space was left in the restaurant. The atmosphere was lovely with a guy in black chef clothes (the owner or boss we think) talking to people and making jokes. All the kids got balls of dough to make shapes with and are baked for them to leave with which is a nice touch. Unfortunately for us it wasn't enough for us to go back. Great food but non existent service and being packed in like a sardine tin meant a poor review from us.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank LauraCollins93

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Maitland, Australia
“Great ambience and food”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Loved arriving in the Blue Mountains on a cold Friday night, and being welcomed into Papadino's with a smile and a warm table. Lucky we were early, as it was buzzing! The pizza was mouth-watering (and quick to the table despite the restaurant being full), our daughter loved making the Three Sisters with pizza dough (which they cooked up for her!), and it was a easy, no-fuss family dinner. Would recommend it to anyone!

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Johann Nicola S
London, United Kingdom
“Pure Heaven”
Reviewed 25 August 2013

This was the culinary highlight for my kids of their month long visit to Australia. It seems a little rustic to start but the food is heavenly. We had the pizza which was perfect and my boys still talk about the hot choc pudding fondly. The service is very relaxed which might not suit some but we were on holiday so not in a rush and happy to play with the complementary pizza dough they gave the kids which was moulded into various shapes and then cooked for us. It is worth the wait for a table.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank JenLouB
“" Cramped"”
Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

Saturday night is always busy at Pappadinos, you're probably best going during the week. There are too many tables for such a small place and the wait is often long. We ordered a takeaway, were told it would be 25 minutes which turned in to an hour for a medium pizza with three toppings on it. No apology and were given attitude when we noted it had been an hour wait.

• Visited August 2013
Durham, North Carolina
“Good pizza, nice staff”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

This was the only restaurant were people were sitting when we were looking for food. Pizza is always a good one. We ordered a family pizza and a salad (2 persons). Enough for both of us. Lovely pizza, staff was very nice. While waiting for food children get this small piece of dough, they can make whatever they want and it will be baked. So nice!
Within 10 minutes the whole restaurant was full and people kept coming for a seat the whole evening. That is how good it is.

• Visited June 2013