“It was closed!”

The Carrington Dining Room
Ranked #21 of 91 Restaurants in Katoomba
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Sydney, Australia
“It was closed!”
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Booked a romantic get away midweek and wasn't told the dining room and most of the other things at the hotel are only available for the weekend. Imagine our diappointment that we couldn't celebrate our wedding anniversary in a long awaited stay at what is suppose to be the premier heritage venue.

Don't make the mistake we made.

We did get to experience the dining room at breakfast time. They don't cater for people with dietry restriction such as Wheat free, Gluten free etc.

The dining room is elegant but tired, like the rest of the hotel.

Incredible atmosphere, felt very posh if you could overlook the tiredness of this heritage site.

We did check out the menu for the 3 nights a week it is open and it looks very pricey and as I have dietry issues there was little I could eat. Got a much better deal across the road at two of the many restaurants there.

We bought dessert back to the massive lounge area and enjoyed the recorded music ( no musicians during the week) at the totally empty private room with dessert and a coffee.

• Visited June 2013

“Not worth the price”
Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

It's pricey for poor food and service. Overcoocked salmon and being ignored by waitresses in an empty dining room.

I would recommend the bar instead. Good selection of cocktails and a beautiful courtyard to sit and enjoy.

Australia
“Friendly staff, good food”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

The Carrington oozes heritage and atmosphere, supported by friendly and professional staff. The restaurant which used to be the ballroom of the building is grand and even had a pianist to boot! With mains at $34 and entrees at $18, it was worth having a 2 course meal for $48. Our scallop and prawn / yellow fin tuna entrees were fresh and well presented, while the lamb rack / beef steak which were both on beds of rich mash were tender and delicious.
There isn't much competition for this sort of food in Katoomba so worth dressing up a bit if you venture here for dinner like the rest of the guests and have some fun!

• Visited November 2013
Avoca Beach, Australia
“Absolute rip off to say the least sadly”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

PLEASE NOTE - My friend and I visited the Carrington last Thursday night and booked dinner there.
I was told it was popular so make a booking which wasn't true. There was only one other table there full of people we over heard, like us, complaining the food size and quality.
I ordered an entree which was $18 (not cheap here), sounded wonderful BUT was one cut up prawn under one scallop............yes, that's it. I and my friend was amazed, naturally I said no and was send back. I then unfortunately had ordered salmon for main, really I wanted out BUT I was embarassed and waited for the main. The meal came without fresh asparagus and vegetables....was ONLY a small piece of salmon soaked in a broth cut up in a few segments.
I had been told it wouldn't be in a broth BUT once again this small unappetizing meal was presented for a big $34.00 for nothing literally. My friend found nothing much of interest and ordered a small fetta tart with a little bit of rocket lettuce for $34.00. Would cost $10 at a coffee shop. We were porely misled by the menu and the lady at Reception.........DON"T waste your money here.It is a take and they DON'T CARE.The only nice thing was the pianist. We told the waiter we wouldn't be back and would warn other Restaurant victims. The next night we dined across the road at The Avalon (Katoomba) in old picture theatre. Top food and lovely views and ambience. Go there.......
Was superb, great food and priced according to the quality.

• Visited October 2013
4 Thank Jilly728
Bellingen, Australia
“The atmosphere here is great but unfortunately the Grand Dining room does not provide good quality food.”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

The last time we ate here we were terribly disappointed. The food was inferior and the piano player couldn't play. I complained verbally and in writing but received no feedback from The Carrington.

Visited August 2013