“Expensively disappointing”

Price range: US$8 - US$23
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Contemporary, Cafe
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Zest is an informal licensed cafe/restaurant serving Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner in a modern Australian and Mediterranean style. We take pride in using the freshest ingredients to cook up creative dishes. Our wines are sourced from Orange, Mudgee and the Central West and we use our very own coffee blend, which is roasted in the Blue Mountains. All our cakes and desserts are (also) house made. Serving Breakfast (8am till 11.30am) and Lunch (12pm till 3pm) seven days a week and Dinner on Tuesday till Saturday from 5.30pm
Reviewed 22 March 2013

Zest is a new Leura restaurant open for lunch and dinner. On-line the menus look very good. An experience with an evening meal recently was most lacking in lustre. The good things are the wine list of affordabley priced, Orange and Cowra wines of good quality, freshly cooked food and comfortable chairs. The negatives are 1] the portions that are inadequate. My chicken breast on quinoa with a fennel and radish salad was actually garnished with a few slices of radish and three slices of fennel. I expected a lemony sauce, but the dish was dry. My partner’s paella did not resemble a paella. There was not enough rice or saffron. For dessert we chose the panna cotta, subtly flavoured with ginger. Very nice. 2] The lights are too bright and, when asked to adjust them, the staff dither, parroting excuses about no dimmers, and that they must get low light light globes. One couple put on their hats to shield their eyes. All in all, a disappointing and expensive experience.

2  Thank carolynandmichael

Reviewed 22 March 2013

Headed to Zest based on previous reviews and the delicious smells coming from the restaurant. Was really looking forward to a paella with seafood & chorizo and hopefully a nice crusty base. Received a soupy, overcooked rice with some seafood, one mussel & no chorizo. So disappointing as my husband's creamy scallops on pasta was just lovely and the service was friendly, prompt & helpful. The staff took on my feedback and took my wine off the bill.

1  Thank Coastal33
Reviewed 17 March 2013 via mobile

They don't serve polenta at Zest and traditionally chorizo is a spicy sausage, if you don't like it don't order it.

1  Thank Melbapeach
Reviewed 16 March 2013

I do enjoy eating at Zest but I do wish they'd stop putting chili into the polenta for breakfast. Spice at breakfast isn't great. Same with chorizo sausage... heartburn much?
Avoid the gluten free bread, it's gritty, like eating birdseed. I think it's the packet 'bake yourself' stuff and it's just yuk. There are better gluten free options out there guys.
Service is always good and friendly, food is always tasty and we love the coffee.
Regular visitors, though haven't yet done evening there.

3  Thank Myst001
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Thought I'd give it a go when it was still called "Fresh" of Leura because I liked their sister café in Katoomba. It didn't have the same atmosphere; in fact it felt a bit clinical. Since then they seem to have picked up their act with good food, more variety and you can now have dinner and wine in the evening as well.

1  Thank Rosada A