“An oldie but a goodie”

Ranked #17 of 41 Restaurants in Leura
Price range: US$52 - US$95
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Our dining philosophy is to use the freshest ingredients with an emphasis on using regional produce to create a warm, comforting menu in an intimate dining surrounds. There is an emphasis on texture and balance of flavours with Modern Australian cuisine paired with an extensive wine list.
Orange, Australia
“An oldie but a goodie”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

the Eucalypt restaurant is a good couples, business meal not so romantic but good food and service. There isn t a view but nice atmosphere and you don t have to go out in the cold. You can have a few drinks and dont have to worry about taxi s or driving.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Cheryl866

Sydney, Australia
“Unusual cuisine but worth the experience!”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

My partner and I were staying at the Fairmont Resort and had booked a gourmet package including dinner at Eucalypt which was more affordable than if we had visited separately. The menu is slightly unusual especially for those who are not used to fine dining or unique ingredients, however everything was cooked exceptionally well and presented beautifully. Our waiters were not too intrusive but being situated behind a column it was difficult to get their attention. The atmosphere was quiet (almost too quiet) but was a nice change and we could have a real conversation.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank vivianhc
“worst experience ever”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Allow me to explain our evening to you, we arrived at eucalypt restaurant at 8.30 in the evening (the time we had booked with reception when we checked in earlier that afternoon) they had no record of us being in the book. We just put this down to our afternoon check in and the memo not reaching the restaurant in time, so they looked for a table and offered us the choice of 2, one was a 4 top and the other set up for 2. The 4 top had a better location so after they offered to clear 2 of the place settings we opted for that one.

After 15 minutes of being seated we tried to get the attention of our waiter this we managed to do as they were clearing a table in the corner we managed to get some menus and water for the 2 of us we were still sitting at the table set up for 4 trying to have a romantic meal and not letting the 2 empty place settings on our table distract us from enjoying Jess’s special birthday night.
After finally receiving our water and placing our order at 8.55, we ordered the house cured salmon starter to share (which sounded so nice and had so much potential to be a light and delicate dish we were really looking forward to this as the native limes are a personal favorite of ours) the whiting and game tasting platter as a main course there was a couple of things on there that I had not experienced yet and I am very open to trying new ingredients and flavor combinations. To finish we had pre ordered the deconstructed snickers, which was highly recommended by 2 of our waiters (we like to get the opinion of the floor staff as they have a better understanding of the components of each dish and how they are prepared and presented in that establishment, having tried the food before).

We waited another 15 minutes which took us up until 9.15 before we could catch the attention of a passing floor staff it just so happened they were bringing out the amuse so we thought the meal had started coming (maybe they had to get something on cooking that took a bit longer before our amuse bouche arrived at the table) and would continue to come out with reasonable time between each course.

After we had finished the salmon roulade amuse bouche, we waited a further 10 minutes for our amuse to be cleared and starter to be brought to the table we felt this was ample time, to put together the cured salmon salad starter so we tried to flag down our waiter to enquire as to the whereabouts of our starter at that moment the main course arrived from the kitchen. We informed the new waitress of the mix up between the starter and main course order of service but as we were hungry we decided to keep the main course plates at the table and they could bring the salad out once the salmon was cured.

To our amazement the whiting had a strong fishy aroma and we could see from the look of the fish it was dry and overcooked so when we turned it over we had another surprise in the form of carbon that comes from either a heavily soiled pan or griddle plate, (I have worked in all aspects of the industry so seen alot). This was not only unpalatable even the veg had been neglected it was just cooked in water so bland and unexciting.

As for the game it was such a beautiful idea for a dish to show case the local produce but so poorly executed, that it was not only disappointing but insulting to put it in front of anyone and expect them to pay $45 for that as a main course… the kangaroo was just sealed and served blue…the emu was a strange combination of thinly sliced meat, stock syrup and a brunoise of kumera(this doesn’t describe caramelized) and the wild boar whilst not terrible was not much of a saving grace (I know the cooking degrees of meat and fish as I was the head butcher at a 3 michelin starred restaurant and before I was on that section I was in charge of cooking the fish and suaces in the same establishment). My standards are not too high I am able to look at a place and match my expectations to the reputation now the bar wasn’t amazingly high as you guys haven’t been awarded a hat so the expectation was towards the lower end of fine dining…
So once we had determined the main courses were not fit for consumption we decided to consult with Ashley the newly appointed supervisor of Eucalypt on Saturday night, to see what arrangement we could come to in a way to solve our dilemma of not having eaten anything except the amuse bouche and tasting the main courses in the hour and a half we had been seated in the restaurant!

They promptly took the plates away and brought out our starter by this time our evening which had started off with such promise, full of celebration and joy had started to nose dive towards disappointment. We had received the starter by now which looked as sad as the main course had tasted the house cured salmon was not very fresh and full of flavor as the description had lead us to believe and we were hard pressed to find any of the native lime dressing amongst the salad which left it dry and boring to eat, by this time we were unable to flag down a waiter (out of principle we didn’t get up to try and catch one of these free roaming spirits I believe if 2 customers are making eye contact with everyone that walks past they should at least be acknowledged).

We had the salmon removed from the table and settled on having our remaining course left to send out the highly recommended deconstructed snickers. So we waited patiently for 15 minutes before I looked down at our fresh cutlery and was astonished to find in my fingers a texture which shouldn’t be found even on dirty cutlery it was grime that had been cooked onto the fork by a dish washer I know not all cutlery can be polished but there’s a difference between watermarked and grime. This was the final straw for my partner and I so after finally flagging down our waitress we informed her of the dirty cutlery we had accidently been set up with she looked very nonchalant and took them away. We were starting to feel very stupid wasting what was supposed to be a delightful evening, getting ignored by your floor staff and supervisor who by this stage of the evening was nowhere to be seen we decided we would head up to the reception where we could voice our concerns.

We relayed the story about our culinary experience he made some notes and offered us anything we wanted from the mini bar complimentary, we turned this generous offer down, we settled on having a coffee and cake in the upstairs lounge which was quite pleasant I’m under the impression that the desserts came from the other kitchen.
I figured that the night receptionist might have made a note about our experience for the morning team so we weren’t automatically charged for our culinary experience, this didn't happen and we were billed the full charge for the evening meal.

We had the rather pleasant breakfast buffet with the amazing view and went back to the room to pack then head to reception to deal with our complaint again. The lovely receptionist went and got the food and beverage manager an average height gentleman with a beard (I didn’t catch his name either) we relived the experience to him again to which he assured me that he had tried this chefs food and was super satisfied with it not even acknowledging my experience and totally disregarding my opinion on our experience, he proclaimed that the new menu starting in a couple of weeks is sensational and he patronizingly announced how confident he was that we would be back, he stated that of course we wouldn’t be charged for the experience that was on the house and they removed that from my bill.

The thing that I am really disappointed in is the aftercare we received from the customer care team. I was assured they would look into it and they would get back to me very soon which never happened and that was over a month ago now and still no word it feels like they have just neglected this case, I guess you got to put some things down to experience.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank Tommy P
Manly, Australia
“The Greatest part of Fairmont!”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We were guests at Fairmont this past Anzac Weekend and although the hotel itself is a let down the dinner at Eucalypt was the saviour of our stay!

The restaurant is beautifully decorated with candles, there is tasteful background music playing and the staff are dressed immaculately and smiling.

We decided to order just entrées and mains as the dessert menu was very small with just three items. Two of these chocolate based and the other was berry. I thought it was odd there was no cream, custard, citrus, vanilla etc. based desserts like you see at most restaurants. It just would have been nice to have more variety and if so we definitely would have had dessert.

With that aside the entrée and main menu was great, lots of variety and seafood, meat and poultry options even the option to try something you might not have had before such as boar, emu etc.

I had the Boudin Noir for entrée and my partner had the Salmon, both were delicious. There was a slight problem as they did not write my entrée order down correctly and brought out two Salmons so our meals were served 5-10 minutes apart as we had to then wait for mine to be cooked. It thought it was lovely that our waitress personally apologised for the mistake instead of a manager or another waiter doing so on her behalf. It really was no big deal to us!

The mains surpassed expectations with the Wagyu Sirloin and Chicken Risotto special which was perfectly cooked. The fennel salad and sauce for the chicken breast was to die for! I did however think it was strange they didn't ask how my partner wanted the Wagyu cooked, and it seemed to be served medium, which I didn't expect from a fine dining restaurant.

The beverage selection was fabulous and also the incorporation of local products being used throughout both food & drink menus was great.

The only reason I only rate it average for romance was because there is no scenic view, and something like a fireplace or some colour could spruce the restaurant up!

I would certainly be back to Eucalypt restaurant - yes it is expensive but that is because is worth every cent!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank navindt
“Good atmosphere”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

This restaurant inside the hotel has wonderful food, a very good atmosphere. The personnel is extremely helpful, friendly and always smiling.
Excellent restaurant.