“Quaint, comfortable and thoughtful eco-aware cottage”
Review of Old Leura Dairy

Old Leura Dairy
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 7 September 2009

We stayed just the one night in The Workers Cottage with our extended family covering an age range from 70 - 3. Everyone loved the cottage, which was beautifully laid out with gorgeous bed linen, sumptious fluffy white towels and more pilllows than we knew what to do with. The kitchen was spacious with a slim long table that created a cosy chatty environment, although might be a bit cramped with 6 adults. I liked the way everything was provided, including their own blend of soap, shampoo etc and there was washing liquid, cloths and even laundry powder provided.

The beds were deliciously comfy and very wide and I think everyone had a really good nights sleep.

For those travelling with young children their was a range of videos and DVDs to keep them entertained after a day of fresh air exploring the beautiful Blue Mountain area. It is a very short drive to Katoomba and Scenic World.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 9 March 2009

My partner and I spent two nights in the Buttercup Barn at Old Leura Dairy and wished we'd had more time! This is a place almost entirely constructed from recycled and reclaimed materials and the way the materials have been used is ingenious and in great taste. For example the 'tiles' behind our bathroom sink weren't tiles at all but seemed to be part of an old frieze of some kind in a wonderful pattern with a lovely texture and look, and the bathroom window was in three bright colours. If you like clean modern lines and materials then this is not for you, but we found it delightful. Unfortunately we didn't get to meet the owners but when we arrived our key had been left for us and the light was on and the radio playing. They had even been burning some essential oil or something as the place smelled delicious. It made it feel as if we were coming home and was just one of many thoughtful touches. For example the fridge was stocked with real coffee, butter and fresh milk, there were fresh flowers on the table and a jar of local apple jelly as a gift. The one tiny criticism I have is that it would have been nice if they'd left a couple of slices of bread in the fridge to go with that delicious jelly, so that you didn't need to go foraging for bread on arrival.
The barn was absolutely clean and the bedlinen freshly laundered. There were lots of lovely towels and the Dairy make their own toiletries (shower gel, handwash, shampoo and conditioner) with their own blend of oils. All of these were provided in big bottles for our stay and you can buy your own when you leave (I bought several as presents for people).
There was a decent stock of books and some DVDs, not that we had much time to read or watch as we only had two days and wanted to explore the mountains! But I imagine if you had a bad-weather day or just wanted to stay in and relax there would be plenty to keep you occupied. The barn has a table and bench outside where we ate breakfast.
We didn't have any of the catering but judging by the overall quality of this place, I'd say it would be very good indeed.
If you stay in Buttercup Barn you have the communal hot tub practically outside your front door! It was blissful although, another small criticism, could have been a little hotter. Hotter means less environment-friendly though so perhaps that's deliberate. And that's just a personal preference anyway.
One thing to be aware of is that the Dairy is slightly far out of the main bit of Leura, where the shops and restaurants are. It was a stiff ten-to-fifteen-minute walk, involving crossing a main road and largely uphill (although obviously downhill on the way home!). It was fine though and should not put you off staying here.
All in all I'd highly recommend the Old Leura Dairy and I will definitely stay there again if I find myself back in the Blue Mountains. It was a really beautiful place, a true original and a gem.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JacqLondon
Reviewed 10 January 2009

I booked the Old Leura Dairy via Asia Rooms and secured a rate just under £100 GBP. I had no real idea and therefore no preference of where to stay in the Blue Mountains, but a friend who had lived in Sydney for a few years had mentioned that Leura was pretty and that had stuck in my mind. I'm so pleased that this was where I focused my search for lodgings, because many of the other towns we passed through in the Blue Mountains were disappointing in comparison.

So onto the review. We had no GPS with us but the written instructions provided by the booking website, together with a Sydney streetmap which fortunately also covered the Blue Mountain were an effective combination.

We arrived to find the cluster of the "Dairy" buildings at the end of a quiet residential road, snuggled together on a fairly tight plot. We had booked Buttercup Barn for the night; a 2 storey cottage fronted by a pretty courtyard.

First impressions were that the little one up, one down house was perfectly comfortable, and obviously very eco-friendly, although my husband was a little unprepared for the recycled building materials, straw wall, reclaimed furniture and exposed corrugated iron walls. Serves him right for leaving all the holiday research to me !

The Dairy buildings have been created by a couple with a real passion and the ethical vision (fully realised I may add) to create a cosy retreat, restoring old buildings and creating new ones using an astonishing 80% (if I remember correctly) recyleable materials ! Kudos to you both for fulfilling the brief.

The environmentally ethical integrity does not detract from the cosy good time feel. Our bed was wonderfully comfortable with quality bed linen that I would expect to enjoy in the best of hotels. The old claw foot bathtub was huge and I enjoyed the best bath, enhanced by essential oil enriched bath products made on the premises.

Little touches such as milk and coffee in the fridge, flowers on the breakfast table, a jar of the most divine apple jelly I have ever tasted make this a very thoughtful hostelry.

Only negative has been mentioned in other reviews (although didn't personally bother me). There is no sink to wash plates & cups so you need to use the sink in the bathroom. There is room to provide a small sink in the kithcen area, whilst it wasn't essential for me it would perhaps have made things easier certainly if guests intend to stay more than a couple of nights.

We popped to the local deli (madly expensive but all produce was very tasty) for bread, cheese, pate, chutneys and chocolate. The Wine shop is also pretty good. Armed with all we needed for a quiet night in we read books, listened to music and cosied up - that's what this cottage is made for. I felt the weight of long haul travel and a manic few days in Sydney simply melt away. That's the magic that is within this charming hideaway.

If you aren't sure if this is your kind of place, check out their website. It is a rustic retreat, not a corporate identikit hotel, and the owners will provide anything you ask. If you want a bag of groceries awaiting you, or breakfast, or an entirely catered stay - all you have to do is organise this with them, and they'll make sure that your needs are fulfilled.

Enchanting, unpretentious, simple and eco-sensitive. A delight.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank soul_babycakes
Reviewed 28 August 2008

We stayed at a little cottage called Studio and we arrived late at night. We were a little lost as we did not have GPS in our car and we are used to driving in the US. However, when we got there, after the owner directed us by cell phone to the location, we were in for a treat!! The attention to details was most impressive: the lights were on..the cottage was warm and toasty...the room was filled with soothing classical music...we felt most welcome after a harrowing day...it was indeed a retreat...the cottage was most comfortable...the next day, we woke up to a sunlight filled room...the most pleasant way to start the day...For make-our-own breakfast, there is also an efficient kitchen filled with utensils and foods such as apples and home made blackberry jam...the owner thought of everything...a must destination for those visiting Blue Mountains in New South Wales in Sydney, Australia

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TheLBCouple
Reviewed 26 March 2008

We stayed in The Old Cow Shed last year, and, like a previous reviewer, we couldn't find the key to get in at first. However, once we were in we loved it. There's no reception open overnight or at weekends, but it's designed so well that everything has been thought of, so you don't need it.

The accommodation was beautiful, and everything was designed to blend in with the buildings. There were umbrellas by the door, a bowl of apples and a jar of Blue Mountains jam on the table - little touches that made us feel welcome. There was a washing machine, and because it is an eco-friendly resort there was detergent in the kitchen for us to use in it.

The day we arrived we'd had a really bad day - one of our bags was stolen, containing our camera amongst other things, so you can imagine how we were feeling, but the Old Dairy felt so tranquil and peaceful, that despite everything we really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Coral-Princess
Reviewed 12 October 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a night in September 2007. We stayed in Buttercup Barn which was soooo lovely!! Everything in this place is thought out so well and makes the place really homey rather then just like staying at a hotel. The fireplace and the loft bedroom were definately the highlights, oh and the claw foot bath tub...very useful for soaking aware sore bushwalking muscles!!! Will definately come back here again, would love to stay in some of the other properties.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SaZz_P
Reviewed 25 June 2007

What an enchanting place! We just stayed for 1 day, but wish it had been longer. We did have problems finding it at the start and then major problems getting into the room, as it was a weekend and no details were given to us before as to how to obtain the key when no one is around. However, as very helpful neighbour helped us get the key and find the room. (if you do get there at the weekend and no one is around, just find the room name you have booked into and the key is by the door!) we stayed in the cow shed, and from outside we were rather worried, as it just looked like a tin shed! once we were in we were so amazed, a beautiful designed room with large double bed, brilliantly built small kitchen with everything you need and then a lovely bathroom with a fere standing bath with a lovely window in the roof to see the sky. we had a lovely meal in the town on the night and then made a great braekfast in the morning and ate this outside with the lovely view. I would reccomend this to anyone, such a different hotel / room than I have ever seen before

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank JillFriends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leura
The Carrington Hotel
Mountain Heritage
#6 of 15 in Katoomba
Fairmont Resort Blue Mountains - MGallery Collection
Lilianfels Resort & Spa - Blue Mountains

Been to Old Leura Dairy? Share your experiences!