“Just average”

Price range: US$21 - US$32
Cuisines: European, Australian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Hugo's on Megalong is a newly established restaurant in the heart of Leura. At Hugo's we offer a range of Modern Australian, infused European style dishes. Friendly and welcoming atmosphere, with an open wood fire. We are child friendly, fully licensed and BYO. Open for lunch and dinner.
“Just average”
Reviewed 21 October 2012

Service was medioca. Food just acceptable. Price to high for what you got. Dont think I would return

Visited September 2012

Wentworth Falls, New South Wales, Australia
“3rd time around at Hugos”
Reviewed 13 October 2012

My husband and I returned to Hugo's for the third time last night and we feel that each time we dine there the experience gets better.Front of house Judy could not be faulted and we feel she really helped to make our night out pleasant.The menu has a really good selection and our entrees, main meals and desserts were delicious. All staff on the night were friendly and pleasant and we both enjoyed a coffee served to us by the professional waiter Ethan in the bar area. We will definitely be back to enjoy a great night out at Hugo's again soon.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Tracy W
Sydney, Australia
“Needs a little improvement”
Reviewed 1 October 2012

My husband and I tried Hugo's for the first time and although we were reluctant to give it a go because of some of its reviews, we actually decided to try it for ourselves and were pleased we did. The restaurant was quiet but on looking at the menu we were surprised it had a good range of meals.

I ordered the Proscuitto wrapped scallops (only to be told there was no proscuitto) but that was fine i took it without it. The scallops were fantastic and the grapes, apple and rocket added to their taste. My husband ordered the garlic prawns, and although there were alot of prawns on his plate it lacked taste and looks. But with a little fixing, this dish could be perfected. Maybe bigger but less prawns and presented a little better on the plate.

Our mains were very tasty. I ordered the chicken breast which was just perfectly cooked. It sat on a pumpkin puree and a small amount of potato and onion which really made it very easy to eat and enjoy. My husband ordered the lamb rack and ate every bit of it without any complaints. The potato stack was fantastic and added such a nice flavour to the dish.

We didnt get to desert as we were full but the desert menu could be spiced up a little instead of the every day boring same thing every other restaurant has. I think we've overdone the sticky date pudding thing havent we? Hugos could be a little inventive in their desert menu and really bring the place up in standard.

Overall, we enjoyed it and I wouldnt hesistate to eat there again. I think it just needs a little more care (like making sure the plates are heated before you serve them, as the food goes cold very quickly on them in this kind of weather). And I am not sure about the decor either. I know alot of people like dogs but I dont think we need to eat a great meal with all those Fidos looking down at us. Maybe some local art work or even abstracts instead of the dogs on the walls.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank mrsgwilson
Ettalong Beach, Australia
“Choose another restaurant”
Reviewed 19 September 2012

I'm a local and I recently tried Hugo's restaurant. I have lived in the area for many years and have been friends with many restauranteurs in area. My first impressions of the restaurant aren't good as the waiter "Olly" was massacring the English language with phrases such as 'how are yus'? Ok so you might say, what a snob, but as I've said, I've been here a long time and the service that I have come to know, respect and admire was seriously lacking in front of house. But wait.....there is more. Upon enquiring at this licensed venue what wine list they had, I was informed that we had a huge list to choose from; a sav blanc of no particular winery, a Shiraz again of no particular winery and a sweet wine. Mmmm I was overwhelmed by the choice! But let's get down to the food. Upon ordering my blue eyed cod for a main I was informed, no we had replaced this with an inferior fish, the chicken dish was unavailable so the list was dwindling on the main courses. In desperation my partner and I resorted to the entree list to have a selection of dishes. We ordered a beetroot salad, prawns, scallops wrapped in proscuito with grapes and a main of duck ravioli in a burnt butter with baby beets. Well, the beetroot salad was mixed aged celery which was going yellow, the prawns were no better than a back yard barbie (in fact I think the back yard barbie was better) the scallops were hard to distinguish in the prosciutto wrap and the piece to forget was the duck ravioli. What a disaster of a dish. We couldn't even eat it because the pasta was still uncooked!

Guys, lift your game. I suggest that you replace your front of house waiter, that you stick with tried and true recipes, that you do have a special to cover for the lack of your standard menu and for gods sake get rid of the bloody TV in the extended dining room and above all eat out at some of your competitors to gleen some insight into what is appropriate to the area. It would also pay you to actually have a wine list as you have a bar.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank tripsnout
“Perfection”
Reviewed 22 August 2012

Staff were amazing. Happy to hav a chat and left us to eat when our meals arrived. We asked for dead steaks, so we got sea steaks. We asked about local attractions an sights and they were all happy to accommodate our each and every wish.
Keep up the good work guys.

2 Thank Coldasfire